Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    And as for Otz (or, to be fair, any candidate from certain programs), if we write into the contract that he would take quarterly independently administered polygraphs as to his recruiting practices I'm sure I could get comfortable with him.

Call it the Bruce rule.
    If he gets WI guys like Matt Thomas and Jameel McKay to come here, I don't care what they write into his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrapheap View Post
    That would fly well with some people, judging by reactions here and on the eunuch board, but it would also probably disappoint some very vocal people in the community.
    I've spoken with Lena Taylor about TJ. I don't think she'd knock TJ nearly as much as she was planning to.

Reason being: he takes care of his players - I mean that as in he looks out for his kids. He makes sure they go to class, etc, and if they have problems he can help out.
    Last edited by Jimmy Lemke; 04-05-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uwm97 View Post
    If he gets WI guys like Matt Thomas and Jameel McKay to come here, I don't care what they write into his contract.
    He was at Washington when McKay (and Burton) transferred to ISU. I don't imagine he'll be landing 4* recruits without the Big 12

It makes me very unhappy that here we are, in the midst of a giant mess, and we need to now start injecting racial politics into this? Seriously? Don't we have enough lines between us as alumni and fans?

I think the whole line of reasoning is seriously flawed to begin with because it is highly bigoted (IMO) to assume that a black coach will recruit black kids better, care for them more, and be a better fit at Milwaukee.

It's like some of us have not considered the fact that a black coach could be a giant a**hole the players hate or a white coach could be a guy that loves them, and who they love, and is essentially a second father to them.

Last time I checked, the white guys on the team were JUST as pissed off at Jeter's firing, loved him like a father, and would walk 10 miles barefoot over broken glass for the man....and it had NOTHING to do with what he looked like.

Idiocy. Pure idiocy.

Now can we please talk about basketball and not social engineering and racial politics?
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Relax, hawk. You are attributing positions no one has expressed and that barely enter into the equation if at all. For example, it literally never entered my mind that there could be a recruiting effect one way or the other from the race of our coach. Bluntly, I couldn't care less about that. I simply stated my preference and the reason for it, and I stand by it. It has nothing to do with the competitive position of our program. "Injecting racial politics" sounds like the scare words we have been hearing too much from the politicians. My only concern is the future -- which must take into account both the past and the present.

Quote Originally Posted by uwm97 View Post
    Well this much is certainly true: under Rob Jeter we never would have been able to get those guys to come here. I will say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Well this much is certainly true: under Rob Jeter we never would have been able to get those guys to come here. I will say no more.
    You don't need to - the next coach will get all the help that Rob Jeter didn't get, because Braun's job will be tied to theirs. That's all the B.S. anyone needs to know.

That's not a comforting thought to those of us who value integrity over wins and losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    You don't need to - the next coach will get all the help that Rob Jeter didn't get, because Braun's job will be tied to theirs. That's all the B.S. anyone needs to know.
    Exactly. Not saying the next coach's wins/success needs to be taken with a grain of salt (don't get me wrong, a winning program is the goal for everyone on this board) but there is something to be said for having the support and structure in place to make a head coach successful versus what RJ and his staff had DURING HIS ENTIRE TENURE with the program. It would've behooved the AD and her staff to show the kind of support we are anticipating with this hire the second she arrived on campus. Unfortunately it wasn't. Hopefully that changes with the next coach, whomever that my be.

Same story with tons of schools in college football & basketball.
    March Madness starts in November

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast