Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHawkReturns View Post
    Billeter, if he wants to move on, likely will have his pick of many offers, some from programs that are in a better position for him to be successful in immediately. There are many openings right now, and sadly, we aren't exactly at the top of that list of opportunities. I would love it if this were not true, but it is, and I really don't think there is much debate on that.
    I don't think we'd be as far down as you believe (if we're even looking at him)...A guy with a track record of recruiting in Minnesota and Iowa is appealing to us. It's probably not as appealing to James Madison University in Virginia.

This may change as hires are made (particularly if my guy Nagy leaves SDSU), but right now I see at most 8 openings that you could argue are better than ours and I'm not sure Billeter makes sense at any of them except SF Austin (where an internal hire is pretty likely...not to mention they've got their own uncertainty issues to deal with)

Here is the list per ESPN. Travis Ford has been reportedly hired at Saint Louis, but that is not reflected on the table on ESPN.com so I added it.

School Out In
    Arkansas State John Brady Grant McCasland
    Central Connecticut Howie Dickenman
    Drexel Bruiser Flint
    North Carolina A&T Cy Alexander Jay Joyner
    Pacific Ron Verlin Damon Stoudamire
    Prairie View A&M Byron Rimm Byron Smith
    Santa Clara Kerry Keating
    UMBC Aki Thomas
    Wisconsin Bo Ryan Greg Gard
    San Francisco Rex Walters
    Southern Utah Nick Robinson Todd Simon
    UNLV Dave Rice
    Rutgers Eddie Jordan Steve Pikiell
    Saint Louis Jim Crews Travis Ford*
    Texas San Antonio Brooks Thompson
    Denver Joe Scott Rodney Billups
    UCF Donnie Jones
    Cornell Bill Courtney
    James Madison Matt Brady
    Stanford Johnny Dawkins
    TCU Trent Johnson Jamie Dixon
    Tulane Ed Conroy
    Portland Eric Reveno
    UT Rio Grande Valley Dan Hipsher
    Delaware Monte Ross
    Wright State Billy Donlon
    UW-Milwaukee Rob Jeter
    Pittsburgh Jamie Dixon
    Jacksonville State James Green
    Western Kentucky Ray Harper
    Oklahoma State Travis Ford Brad Underwood
    Wyoming Larry Shyatt Allen Edwards
    Dartmouth Paul Cormier
    Stony Brook Steve Pikiell
    Stephen F. Austin Brad Underwood

Which 8 are we ahead of and which are we better than?

That list needs lots of updating. The 8 current openings you could make an argument for are:

Vandy
    Georgia Tech
    UAB
    Little Rock
    SF Austin
    James Madison
    Wright State
    Portland

I wouldn't necessarily make some of those arguments.

There are some pretty nice destinations in that list of 8. And 8 is a lot of programs ahead of you in the pecking order.

Wright State is probably marginally better than Milwaukee right now, and being in the same region and conference makes that marginal difference more impactful to us, IMO.

My point is that we are not right now a "choice" destination, at least I don't see how we could be. And do not take this to mean I LIKE that reality, but it is the reality.

What really makes me mad is that reality is almost entirely self-inflicted.

But specifically regarding Billeter, none of those jobs makes more sense.

Cross Vandy & GT off immediately. Their hire may open a job that winds up ahead of us on the list, but they're not hiring a D-II coach from South Dakota (and both are currently being linked to Duke assistant Jeff Capel)

UAB is likely to make an internal hire

Little Rock will have a lot of veteran talent returning from this year's team, but as a program this year was lightning in a bottle. They hadn't won more than 23 games since the 80s

SFA has been great lately and Billeter was an assistant at A&M, but their star is leaving and they're in the Southland. Slip up even a little and you're screwed.

JMU is a geographically poor fit for Billeter.

Portland is only on this list because they're looking to make a "splash" hire after Mark Few called out the entire conference. Terry Porter is the name that's popped up. Not likely to go for a D-II coach.

Wright State has been linked to a number of low-major D-I HCs despite having its own dysfunction. I'm jealous. They could possibly be the team to open the SDSU job, but aside from that I don't see them opening a job for anybody who would be a better fit for Billeter.
    Last edited by parkerj; 03-30-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Unless he is waiting to see if SDSU opens up, that is, in which case we have literally no chance to land him.

Maybe. There are obvious advantages for him at SDSU, but the job would have to open (Nagy's been HC there since he was 29...might be a lifer at this point) and I think we can offer more money.

Though this could all be moot, as we don't even know if Billeter is actually a candidate.

Unless he is waiting to see if SDSU opens up, that is, in which case we have literally no chance to land him.
    Pure conjecture. Not sure why this is an argument, but there is nothing to base this opinion off of besides the location of SDSU.

At this point, SDSU could be considered an potential elite mid major, having been to the dance 3 of the last 5 seasons, and twice winning their opening round game. As D1 programs go, this is not a bad one to be a part of presently, especially for a guy who can recruit to South Dakota. He would take the helm of a solid program in a familiar area that would make great use of his recruiting networks as well as his personality.

That said, as others have mentioned, there is nothing to indicate that he is even a candidate for Milwaukee, so this is an just entertaining discussion in theory right now.

At this point, SDSU could be considered an potential elite mid major, having been to the dance 3 of the last 5 seasons, and twice winning their opening round game.
    Ehh? NDSU won one game in the tournament, but SDSU hasn't yet.

Wouldn't call them elite, either. Under normal circumstances, I think we could take their coach.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast