Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Stupid stupid stupid...."Second Round" to the NCAA really means "First Round" to normal people. My mistake. Still think it is an attractive destination for a coach in D2 already in the neighborhood. Similar to us having advantages in recruiting a coach from one of the UW schools.

I think it's likely a moot point anyway. Sorry for the distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerj View Post
    Billeter? He's at Division II Augustana, not UND.
    I think he was referring to Nagy and SDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHawkReturns View Post
    "Second Round" to the NCAA really means "First Round" to normal people.
    Ohhhh! Haha, no worries. Not your fault the NCAA wants us to pretend the First Four isn't a play-in into the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorCK View Post
    I think he was referring to Nagy and SDSU.
    Yeah, I know he's kind of a pipe dream...particularly in our current situation. Hopefully we at least made the call.

This guy, David Pate, is the chair of the Search and Screen Committee to hire the next basketball coach:

http://uwm.edu/socialwelfare/people/...r-phd-david-j/

Anyone know him? He has quite the resume himself in a different field. His skill set and focus perfectly matches the university mission, so I'm glad to have him - I just have never met the man so I'm not sure if he's up to the task of running this S&SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    This guy, David Pate, is the chair of the Search and Screen Committee to hire the next basketball coach:

http://uwm.edu/socialwelfare/people/...r-phd-david-j/

Anyone know him? He has quite the resume himself in a different field. His skill set and focus perfectly matches the university mission, so I'm glad to have him - I just have never met the man so I'm not sure if he's up to the task of running this S&SC.
    His Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidJPate Note the multiple retweets of the NCAA Tournament news. Looks like more than a casual fan. Very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    Welcome to the U Board!

I don't think the upside of Billeter is that he would open up South Dakota recruiting. I think he would, however, open up Minnesota and Iowa recruiting, and there are plenty of players in both states who would be about that life.
    And that's my point.

There is no need to recruit South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa... UWM has all the talent they need in Milwaukee and Chicago. Jeter hasn't done anything in the Milwaukee Public Schools. Not only that, the Milwaukee Suburbs.....Sure, a Germantown or Grafton kid here or there, but nothing noteworthy.

UWM has had one scholarship player in the last six years from the Milwaukee Public Schools. The Panthers need to close the fence and clean up in their backyard.

Why would a kid from Minnesota want to come to Milwaukee when he can go to NDSU or SDSU?

Miller is the only guy, on the current list, we can recruit MPS and has multiple ties to MPS.

PS- Great board! Great discussion.

If only they could get many of those kids into school, Lumsden.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrocks View Post
    If only they could get many of those kids into school, Lumsden.
    Go back -- last five years -- pull a list of players from MPS and Suburbs. A lot guys playing mid-major ball, that qualified or transferred, that aren't at UWM.

I am not terribly concerned about where our players are coming from. I am concerned that we are getting the best players we can. Jeter had his hits and his misses. I would prefer more hits the next time around.

In order to do that, we need them to know they will not share the equivalent of a high school field house with intramural sports and clubs, along with perhaps not taking every road trip possible on a bus. Right now this is a tougher place to sell than it needs to be.

Having current players tell the world they do not trust the AD only makes that whole thing worse.

All of these issues are within our power to correct....the question is will we or will the next coach have to deal with these handicaps as well?

Is it possible that they were admitted into other schools, but couldn't get into UWM?

Or to put it another way: is it possible that exceptions weren't made like they were at places like Buffalo or NIU?

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast