Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Well sure, but you have to do what you think is best for yourself. Maybe, use what you hear for follow up questions, but not base my decision in what I hear.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 03-28-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Well sure, but you have to do what you think is best for yourself.
    Most definitely - but he didn't say that Jeter would make a decision, just that those interviewing would consult with him. If Jeter were trashing Amanda or the program, we wouldn't have the candidate list we have.

I hope that Donte Jackson and TJ Otzelberger are on the list; they weren't part of it when Goodman tweeted it out but I believe either would be a good hire. TJ is more of an impact recruiter than the assistants on the list, and Jackson is a head coach (and for one year a Panther) that took a good team and made them great very quickly.

It should be noted, although most people know this by now, that both coaches are Milwaukee guys. We should absolutely be considering a Milwaukee guy; it's not the end-all-be-all, but if they are great salesmen - and we know both of these guys are - the program could take a HUGE leap.

I believe that the next coach, if given the proper support from the university, could turn this place upside-down if they're the right guy. There is so much Milwaukee talent that plays elsewhere in Division I - high-major players, mid-major players, low-major players, these D-II guys at Stillman - and neither Madison nor Marquette is putting them all together.

Which is totally fine - Madison and Marquette are both recruiting nationally, because they want to get the best pool of players possible. It also means they wouldn't do this:

Do everything to bring the local talent to campus and keep them here. Every possible player from the City Conference, Greater Metro, Southeast Conference, North Shore...pitch them this: the State of Milwaukee.

This was touched on in the 30 for 30 "The U," where the players talked about how Howard Schnellenberger essentially built a wall of recruiting for the southern half of the state of Florida. Dubbed the "State of Miami," the Hurricanes essentially had the first right of refusal for any players in south Florida. It wasn't just Schnellenberger doing it, he had all the players talking up the idea to each other.

When Howard came into Miami, high school games would get more people than the university. There was a lot of talent in Miami and the surrounding area, and Schnellenberger successfully sold his first couple recruiting classes on the idea that the local talent, if assembled on one team, could achieve a high level - even national champions - just by going to college together.

I believe the same is true for Milwaukee. If a team were to recruit southeast Wisconsin and own the area players, they would be a very, very dangerous basketball team. This isn't just an idea for Milwaukee - the idea would work elsewhere as well. Marquette would be better positioned to do it, but as I've said they're looking nationally.

Every high school kid that qualifies, every JUCO kid from the city, every transfer who is from here - put them on a team and see just how high that team can go. My guess? Really damn high. Here are some of the area players and the schools they committed to, sorted by class:

Bryce Nze - Milwaukee
    Juwan McCloud - Northern Iowa
    Te'Jon Lucas - Illinois
    Kostas Antetokounmpo - Uncommitted

Diamond Stone - Maryland
    Raymond Doby - South Carolina
    Garrison Goode - UC Davis
    Ahmed Caver - Old Dominion
    Levi Bradley - Northern Illinois
    Jaylen Key - Northern Illinois
    Paul Miller - NDSU

TJ Schlundt - Wisconsin
    Kevon Looney - UCLA
    Riley LaChance - Vanderbilt
    Lamonte Bearden - Buffalo
    Fred Iduwe - Georgia
    Brady Ellingsen - Iowa
    Jake Showalter - NDSU
    Evan Wesenberg - NDSU
    Reed Timmer - Drake

Duane Wilson - Marquette
    Deonte Burton - Marquette
    Luke Fischer - Indiana
    Trevor Thomas - Virginia Tech
    Jevon Thomas - Kansas State
    Mario Matasovic - Western Michigan
    Scotty Tyler - Idaho State

Sam Dekker - Wisconsin
    JP Tokoto - North Carolina
    Philip Nolan - UConn
    Jerron Wilbut - Seton Hall
    Zak Showalter - Wisconsin
    Mike Lang - Central Michigan
    Jacoby Davis - Mississippi State
    Aaron Ross - Texas Tech
    Carrington Love - Green Bay
    Elgin Cook - Oregon
    Darrell Bowie - Northern Illinois
    Jordan Fouse - Green Bay
    Cinmeon Bowers - Auburn

Marty Breunig - Washington
    Paul Jesperson - Virginia
    Mitchell Farr - Omaha
    Jameel McKay - Marquette
    Brandon Mobley - Seton Hall
    John Kopriva - Vermont
    Darrell Longstreet - Bradley

I didn't even put a lot of JUCO guys on that list. My point is, while we might not be able to ever put all of the players together, there's an incredible collection of talent that isn't collected. A Milwaukee guy - with the right message, at the right time, with the right support - could collect a lot of that local talent.

McDadenets50 shilling for Showalter over on the Eunuch board. I like the quote that he used. "His old pal Rob Jeter." Considering all the time that was wasted on Germantown players by our former staff, due to Showalter driving them to other teams, I highly doubt Jeter considers Showalter a pal. I certainly wouldn't, but these are minor details...
    346 Freak board posts prior to censorship. This is my home now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Bruce View Post
    McDadenets50 shilling for Showalter over on the Eunuch board.
    I'm about 99.99999% sure that was tongue-in-cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerj View Post
    I'm about 99.99999% sure that was tongue-in-cheek.
    In that case, well played.
    346 Freak board posts prior to censorship. This is my home now.

I will be really ticked if Showalter gets consideration when Jerry Petitgoue and Tom Desotell are still on the market.

mcdadenets50 was joking - he's a funny guy, that mcdadenets50. I'm disappointed he hasn't made the move yet.

Dak, just because he has an interview, doesn't mean he has the job. No need to sweat yet...

Billeter is lined up for an interview? Very encouraging development if this is true.

I am sure he is a fine man, but look at this coaching history and tell me if it reminds you of anyone:

Tom Billeter Year-by-Year
    Overall Conf.
    Year School W L W L Finish
    1992-93 North Dakota State 12 17 7 11 8th
    1993-94 North Dakota State 21 9 * 14 4 2nd
    1994-95 North Dakota State 22 8 * 12 6 t-1st
    1995-96 North Dakota State 20 9 * 12 6 t-2nd
    1996-97 North Dakota State 22 7 * 12 6 t-2nd
    2003-04 Augustana 6 21 2 12 8th
    2004-05 Augustana 8 20 1 11 7th
    2005-06 Augustana 12 16 5 7 5th
    2006-07 Augustana 16 12 3 9 5th
    2007-08 Augustana 22 9 * 8 4 2nd
    2008-09 Augustana 21 10 * 13 7 6th
    2009-10 Augustana 24 7 * 15 5 3rd
    2010-11 Augustana 18 9 15 7 3rd
    2011-12 Augustana 17 11 * 14 8 t-4th
    2012-13 Augustana 22 9 * 15 7 3rd
    2013-14 Augustana 16 14 12 10 t-9th
    2014-15 Augustana 31 3 * 20 2 t-1st
    310 191 180 122

He had some very good seasons at NDSU. Then at Augustana he finished better than 3rd only twice, and many of those were 5th or worse. And I remind you that that was all in D2.

Didn't we just fire a guy who had some very good seasons long ago, and then was terminated for failing to be better than 3rd too often?

Again, this is NOT MEANT to be critical of Billeter, but critical of the seemingly hypocritical positions of Amanda Braun. Is there a lower set of standards for her for people she has "long standing professional relationships" with? - CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast