Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

One other question comes to mind: After what looks like a stellar run at NDSU (D2 at the time), why did it take so long for him to get a look as a D1 head coach. He spent the years between Head Coach gigs bouncing around as a D1 assistant under some pretty good/great coaches, but never seemed to get a look as a D1 head coach.

Maybe I am being too critical, but that doesn't seem to fit the pattern of a guy that is an "up and comer". Usually these types of guys go from D1 assistant to Mid Major HC, not back down to D2 for more than a decade. What am I missing? (and I ask that question sincerely)

The guy went 34-2 and won a national championship this year after winning 31 games the year before. How is this similar to any resume Rob Jeter has?

Why did it take Bo Ryan so long to get a D1 offer after dominating at Platteville for so many years? Linc Darner spent a decade at Florida Southern before winning a championship and getting the opportunity at Green Bay. I'm sure they're happy with their decision.

I think a lot of people are missing the big picture here.

There are only a few guys who make sense for this position. The most logical candidate, without question, is Pat Miller from Wisconsin-Whitewater.

What some fail to understand — this program, in it’s current state, is not appealing to outsiders. Not only that, financially, it’s not a fit for quality D1 assistants. If you’re a young, high major, D1 assistant, looking to move up the ladder, you’re not going to take this position. It's just not a situation someone wants to walk into.

So with that being said, the pool of candidates is very small.

The candidate needs to fit into these categories:

1.) Low Salary (200k range is my guess)

2.) Ties to Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin — Especially Milwaukee Public Schools.
    3.) Relationships and can bridge the gap between the african american population and the athletic department….which is clearly strained.
    4.) Someone who currently knows some of the same boosters that fund UWM athletics.

If you look at that list — Miller is the only guy who makes any sense.

Why in the world would they bring in Tom Billester to recruit kids from the Dakotas? The city of Milwaukee has all the talent anyone needs. Not only that, Jeter and his staff were locked out of the city — they had a bad reputation in the city league. They have had one Milwaukee Public School kid on scholarship in the last six years. That relationship needs to be opened up again.

Miller recuits Milwuakee and has ties to the MPS and coaches. Just look at his previous rosters at UWW.

He deals with some of the same boosters and has had a ton of success within and around Milwaukee.

No only that, the Miller is young, energetic, feisty and and has a great track recored.

97, I was not at all being negative about Billeter, per se...I was only asking some questions. I don't know very much about this guy, beyond the bio and selected press clippings. I was asking about him to find out of there was an issue in his past or something like that which sort of derailed his career path.

I guess I am a bit gun shy about reclamation projects after we trued that with Pearl. Sure, the on the court success was incredible, but the aftermath and impacts to the program off the court was much less fun to deal with.

If this guy is otherwise good, and he has just been overlooked, so be it. That is good news for certain.

As for the questions on his record, I was merely pointing out that if you look at his previous seasons, his numbers are pretty similar to Jeter's really. If Jeter had been given the level of support I am sure Billeter had, it isn't unreasonable to think that Milwaukee could have had some pretty stellar seasons in the last few years. Jeter did take them to the dance only 2 season ago. The intent here was to be critical of the seemingly fluid goals and expectations of the athletic department.

Quote Originally Posted by LumsdenJ View Post
    I think a lot of people are missing the big picture here.

There are only a few guys who make sense for this position. The most logical candidate, without question, is Pat Miller from Wisconsin-Whitewater.

What some fail to understand — this program, in it’s current state, is not appealing to outsiders. Not only that, financially, it’s not a fit for quality D1 assistants. If you’re a young, high major, D1 assistant, looking to move up the ladder, you’re not going to take this position. It's just not a situation someone wants to walk into.

So with that being said, the pool of candidates is very small.

The candidate needs to fit into these categories:

1.) Low Salary (200k range is my guess)

2.) Ties to Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin — Especially Milwaukee Public Schools.
    3.) Relationships and can bridge the gap between the african american population and the athletic department….which is clearly strained.
    4.) Someone who currently knows some of the same boosters that fund UWM athletics.

If you look at that list — Miller is the only guy who makes any sense.

Why in the world would they bring in Tom Billester to recruit kids from the Dakotas? The city of Milwaukee has all the talent anyone needs. Not only that, Jeter and his staff were locked out of the city — they had a bad reputation in the city league. They have had one Milwaukee Public School kid on scholarship in the last six years. That relationship needs to be opened up again.

Miller recuits Milwuakee and has ties to the MPS and coaches. Just look at his previous rosters at UWW.

He deals with some of the same boosters and has had a ton of success within and around Milwaukee.

No only that, the Miller is young, energetic, feisty and and has a great track recored.
    Welcome to the U Board!

I don't think the upside of Billeter is that he would open up South Dakota recruiting. I think he would, however, open up Minnesota and Iowa recruiting, and there are plenty of players in both states who would be about that life.

Good point Jimmy with hiring a coach with local/state ties. But Milwaukee tried that before with Ric Cobb and it failed miserably. We need to find a experienced, former D1 Coach who is itching to get back in the game and prove himself. With the heat that is on Braun, she better open up the wallet and hit a home run or otherwise her days are numbered.

I hate to say it, but he is right. Why would a guy who is successful at UND want to come to UWM? Yes, it is a better conference. Yes, it is a better market. But there is not a significant step up to go from the top of the Summit League to the middle of the HL. If he keeps winning at UND, he is going to get better offers soon. UWM right now does not strike me as an attractive job.

Come hear Uncle John's Band!

Actually, John, it is a step down.

Marquette does basketball; UWM does comedy. Dark comedy.
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 03-30-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    I hate to say it, but he is right. Why would a guy who is successful at UND want to come to UWM? Yes, it is a better conference. Yes, it is a better market. But there is not a significant step up to go from the top of the Summit League to the middle of the HL. If he keeps winning at UND, he is going to get better offers soon. UWM right now does not strike me as an attractive job.
    Billeter? He's at Division II Augustana, not UND.

Billeter, if he wants to move on, likely will have his pick of many offers, some from programs that are in a better position for him to be successful in immediately. There are many openings right now, and sadly, we aren't exactly at the top of that list of opportunities. I would love it if this were not true, but it is, and I really don't think there is much debate on that.

Players are ready to leave and publicly questioning the character and honesty of the AD, major donors are publicly severing ties with the program, and the fan base is in a full on civil war. Not what I would call the best of openings...even in the Horizon League.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast