Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Untucked Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I remember it the way Fr. Dan does, but I was pretty young at the time, maybe some of the others would know.

I thought the untucked were an unfair recruiting advantage (letting players design uniforms) and the bumble bees were too psychedelic and made opponents dizzy.
    Not sure about the reasons why, but other schools had untucked uniforms before they were banned. That would put into question that it was against MU. In addition, I believe MU had already gone away from the untucked for several years when it was banned. Further, they were on the downswing as a program when they were banned. I just don't think it was related to any advantage MU had.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    So Marquette wins the national championship in 1977, Al McGuire retires, and it takes until 1984 for the NCAA to disallow untucked jerseys because they hated Al McGuire and Marquette? Seven years later?

By that time Marquette had moved onto the tiger striping jerseys. My recollection was those were tucked in by I might be thinking post 1984.
    The next unis after the Championship year was in the '78-'79 season - tucked in. Bernard Toone's team. They may have been introduced right after X-Mas break as they were in '77. Doc Rivers wore that same version for at least his Freshman year and then they went back to an untucked version for a couple years - their last untucked version if I am not mistaken. I have most of the media guides going back to the 18th century so I'll try and put together a more clear timeline.

EDIT: Although those '78-'79 unis were technically a tucked version, many of the players wore them untucked - Oliver Lee and Doc come to mind.
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 03-21-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    The next unis after the Championship year was in the '78-'79 season - tucked in. Bernard Toone's team. They may have been introduced right after X-Mas break as they were in '77. Doc Rivers wore that same version for at least his Freshman year and then they went back to an untucked version for a couple years - their last untucked version if I am not mistaken. I have most of the media guides going back to the 18th century so I'll try and put together a more clear timeline.

EDIT: Although those '78-'79 unis were technically a tucked version, many of the players wore them untucked - Oliver Lee and Doc come to mind.
    I only remember two untucked versions - the buttercup yellow/powder blue ones that Bo first designed. The second was the Championship year and worn the following year. After that, I thought they went back to tucked in uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I only remember two untucked versions - the buttercup yellow/powder blue ones that Bo first designed. The second was the Championship year and worn the following year. After that, I thought they went back to tucked in uniforms.
    The last untucked version were kind of bland - Mandy Johnson pic below from the Mizzou game:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Marquet...-/201058778972

No Doc wore an untucked jersey as well. So they had to have been worn at least through 1980-81.

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

According to the MUWiki, the tiger striping began in 1981. So the photo above was likely his freshman year? I mentioned earlier that I thought the tiger striped jerseys were always tucked, but I think I may have been wrong about that.

The last untucked version were kind of bland - Mandy Johnson pic below from the Mizzou game:

Ha, yeah they were bland. So bland that I had forgotten about those! Maybe that is the reason why the NCAA banned them!

Interesting that picture is from 1984. That's at the Arena right? They wore a blue jersey at home.

Interesting that picture is from 1984. That's at the Arena right? They wore a blue jersey at home.
    Nope - NCAA game - close game that MU lost - can't remember where the game was played.

No Doc wore an untucked jersey as well. So they had to have been worn at least through 1980-81.

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

According to the MUWiki, the tiger striping began in 1981. So the photo above was likely his freshman year? I mentioned earlier that I thought the tiger striped jerseys were always tucked, but I think I may have been wrong about that.
    The tiger striped, tucked in started during '78 - '79 season with Bernard Toone - but pretty sure they were introduced after X-Mas break - see the cover of the Media Guide for the '79-'80 season with pics from the - '78 - '79 season.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361404114720?rmvSB=true

EDIT - these unis were still in play for Doc's freshman year - at least part of it - and he rarely tucked his in. Maybe it can be seen from his ND shot his freshmen year.
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 03-21-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Not sure about the reasons why, but other schools had untucked uniforms before they were banned. That would put into question that it was against MU. In addition, I believe MU had already gone away from the untucked for several years when it was banned. Further, they were on the downswing as a program when they were banned. I just don't think it was related to any advantage MU had.
    From what I remember, it had more to do with letting players design the uniforms than the actual style of uniform. Didn't want MU out there promising "If you come to Marquette, you can design our new uniforms". That was the unfair advantage. I can see if Bo knows.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast