Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Untucked Jerseys

Untucked Jerseys

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...aa-tournaments

What was the reasoning for the NCAA to ban the untucked jerseys? Anyone remember that time period?

I think Al McGuire knew.

They did get a waiver for the 15th anniversary game vs. Memphis and Anfernee Hardaway. Maybe William Gates best game - played really great D against Hardaway in the win.

Jerome did miss the layup though when they brought out the '76-'77 team to run their offense under the direction of Al.

They should ask for a waiver again next year - have each Big East school host a throw back unis game next season with both teams wearing them.

Said it was an unfair recruiting advantage for MU, NCAA was a joke back then too....

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dan's Camera View Post
    Said it was an unfair recruiting advantage for MU, NCAA was a joke back then too....

I don't think that's why they were banned. Multiple schools had them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I don't think that's why they were banned. Multiple schools had them at the time.
    Then Why?

Probably for the same reason that tucked jerseys are required at all levels of basketball now. (For reasons I have heard range from "so opposition doesn't grab them," to "defenders get their fingers caught up in them," to "they just look better that way.")

Probably for the same reason that tucked jerseys are required at all levels of basketball now. (For reasons I have heard range from "so opposition doesn't grab them," to "defenders get their fingers caught up in them," to "they just look better that way.")
    So, you really don't know, but you're willing to tell another poster they are wrong?????

Settle down.

I said "I don't think that's why they were banned." Since other teams were using them when the NCAA passed the rule, how could it be a recruiting advantage?

Now if Marquette sought an exception, the NCAA may have turned them down for that reason. But it logically doesn't make sense otherwise.

Settle down.

I said "I don't think that's why they were banned." Since other teams were using them when the NCAA passed the rule, how could it be a recruiting advantage?

Now if Marquette sought an exception, the NCAA may have turned them down for that reason. But it logically doesn't make sense otherwise.
    Don't worry. I'm settled, but you still haven't given a better reason than Father Dan as to why they were banned. Yet you continue to say he is likely wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast