Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OT - Erin Andrews

TMZ did a breakdown of how much she is likely to get paid. Bottom line, the lawyers make out very well.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/08/erin-a...source=gravity

Quote Originally Posted by jpvegas52 View Post
    TMZ did a breakdown of how much she is likely to get paid. Bottom line, the lawyers make out very well.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/08/erin-a...source=gravity

Like I said, it's monopoly money. People can get all bent out of shape about the amount, but the amount is not what it seems. So Marriot's insurance company gets hit for a settlement. And where the money goes does not bother me either. If Andrews loses a big chunk of it to taxes, it is because she already makes a ton of money. She doesn't exactly need it, and if she has to settle for a "mere" six million, that is not so bad. And the attorneys make out like bandits. But they get taxed too, so they do not make out nearly as well as the article suggests. Big numbers like that can be sources for outrage, but they do not really mean anything. And the important part of this is that Marriot got slammed, and rightfully so. Perhaps your daughter would have gotten a smaller reward, but the hotel would have less reason to know who your daughter is and less reason to expect that someone might be stalking her and putting her pictures on the internet.

Let's assume Marriott pays $25 million. I think an estimate of $1 million in costs is way too high. It seemed a relatively low cost case. Let's say $250,000 in costs. Usually attorneys take one-third. 40% is usually reserved for Med Mal based on the high costs associated with prosecuting. I assume nothing needs to be repaid in medical expenses though there is probably some reimbursement but minimal in comparison the the numbers involved. If these assumptions are used, Erin Andrews' gross recovery would be $16,750,000.00. Assuming a 40% effective tax rate, Andrews would net approximately $10,050,000.00. The lawyers, using the same effective tax rate and following repayment of expenses, would net $4,950,000.00 (which does not take into account overhead). So the estimates are all affected by the assumptions which TMZ made and are likely inaccurate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345