Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OT - Erin Andrews

There is a real bid difference in you pointing out where your neighbor the athlete lives and a hotel giving access to a celebrity. You do not have any duty to keep your neighbors safe. If someone came to your door carrying an assault weapon and asked where your neighbor lived, that might be different, but for the most part, he is on his own. But a hotel has a duty to protect its guests, and if it is going to cater to celebrities, it has a duty to deal with the kind of protection they may require. That is particularly true when the celebrity is an attractive woman.

As for the money, the numbers are meaningless. It is monopoly money. As someone pointed out, it is mostly going to be paid by an insurance company, so it comes down to what kind of coverage the place has. But how much is it worth? How do you put a price on it? IWB suggested one way. I do not know what method the jury used, but it was likely not just pulled out of the air. The famous McDonald's coffee case that outraged some people was deceptive. What most people did not know was that the plaintiffs offered to settle it for medical expenses and what the plaintiff's daughter lost in work time taking care of her mother. As I recall, about $25,000. Mc Donald's dug in its heels. Then the jury decided that someone getting seriously hurt with McDonalds coffee was not only inevitable, but McDonalds knew it and decided that the greater profits were worth the risk. So the jury nailed McDonalds for one day's worth of coffee sales. And the court reduced the award anyway. It was a pretty fair decision. People get distracted by meaningless numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    You guys are complete A hole. Replace Erin Andrews with your own daughter. What is that worth?
    if she were my daughter, worth or money would not be what I was concerned with. An award is money, that is it.

You guys are complete A hole. Replace Erin Andrews with your own daughter. What is that worth?
    You are a laywer, so probably don't see the forest through the trees. Your daughter could be raped, hit by a drunk driver, shot in a crowded movie theater. All things worse than having some naked photos taken and posted on the internet. How much will the jury give her for that? I'll answer for you, probably nothing. So when I look at it in that perspective, I think the jury award is extremely ridiculous.

In our system, unfortunately, money is justice. I have never had a client, injured in an auto accident or some other calamity, who would rather have the money than good health. I am willing to bet Erin Andrews would say the same thing.

In our system, unfortunately, money is justice. I have never had a client, injured in an auto accident or some other calamity, who would rather have the money than good health. I am willing to bet Erin Andrews would say the same thing.
    Look at it another way, if it was your daughter, would she get 55 million from the same jury?

I hope so.
    I don't think she would, which is why I have a huge problem with the award. She got that award in my opinion because of who she is, not because of what was done.

Which can all be sorted out on appeal. The process needs to be complete before indicting the legal system over this award.

It is not an award, it is recompense.

It is not an award, it is recompense.
    Jury award, compensation, whatever.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast