Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DePaul Game Thread

So, Sandy with only 5 minutes.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    So, Sandy with only 5 minutes.
    He is having a tough time. Hope he breaks out. Seems to be a confidence issue.

Sandy passed up a couple of open looks again today.

As far as Haanif and level of athleticism, lets just say he is nowhere near as quick as Sumner of Xavier. I watched him blow right past defenders again today. For that matter, compared to someone like Martin of Butler, Haanif has nowhere near the quicks or the hops that Martin does.

I'm not knocking Haanif or his game, but he seems like an average to slightly above average 6'5"/6'6" wing in terms of quickness and hops. He is having a lot more trouble beating his man off the dribble and finishing at the rim than he had his first time through the league. Opponents are playing him for that drive now, so it has not been anywhere near as effective as it was even four weeks ago.

At some point, as others have noted, he really needs to add a pull-up mid-range jumper to his arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Sandy passed up a couple of open looks again today.

As far as Haanif and level of athleticism, lets just say he is nowhere near as quick as Sumner of Xavier. I watched him blow right past defenders again today. For that matter, compared to someone like Martin of Butler, Haanif has nowhere near the quicks or the hops that Martin does.

I'm not knocking Haanif or his game, but he seems like an average to slightly above average 6'5"/6'6" wing in terms of quickness and hops. He is having a lot more trouble beating his man off the dribble and finishing at the rim than he had his first time through the league. Opponents are playing him for that drive now, so it has not been anywhere near as effective as it was even four weeks ago.

At some point, as others have noted, he really needs to add a pull-up mid-range jumper to his arsenal.
    That really impressed me about his game yesterday. One of his biggest problems since conference play started is teams have tightened up on that move. So instead of faking the three and driving into a turnover or block, yesterday he just took the threes. Basically the "if you're going to give me room to defend my drive, I'll shoot over and make you pay" mindset. 4/6 from beyond the arc.

Add in some more ability to use his right and a pull-up, as well as the intelligence to know when to use which move (which should come with experience) and he'll be darn near unstoppable in this league.

The other question with respect to Haanif eventually moving on to the NBA is whether he is quick enough to defend opposing 2s and 3s. I can't see him defending at the point in the NBA. He's not as quick as Wesley or Jimmy B; nor does he have their overall level of athleticism. As he becomes stronger over his career at MU, maybe he can become that kind of versatile defender that both Jimmy and Wes were as upperclassmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    He is having a tough time. Hope he breaks out. Seems to be a confidence issue.

Second year in a row this has happened with him. Makes you wonder if he simply isn't a player at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Second year in a row this has happened with him. Makes you wonder if he simply isn't a player at this level.
    I stated in a different thread at the beginning of the season that Sandy will be nothing more than a 4 year role player at MU. I just don't see his skills and athleticism make it difficult for him to be more than that. If his confidence level stays this low, he'll be a 4 year bench warmer.

Yeah he seems to be a player that can do a number of things well, but not one thing that makes him stand out. I think he could end up being a very good defender if you surround him with enough offense. And really he is only a sophomore.

One good thing is that we played well without Henry having a big game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Yeah he seems to be a player that can do a number of things well, but not one thing that makes him stand out. I think he could end up being a very good defender if you surround him with enough offense. And really he is only a sophomore.

One good thing is that we played well without Henry having a big game.
    Yeah, just another 14 and 9.
    We are really going to miss Henry next year.

He didn't have a bad game by any means, but he shot 38% and was the third best player for Marquette on the floor. It was arguably the first BE win where he didn't carry us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123