Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - "Race"

I went to MU for undergraduate and graduate school, I did not know who he was either. Thanks for sharing, quite a life story.

There is or at least was a picture in the holocaust museum in Washington of Metcalf and Owens. Ralph was wearing his Marquette jersey.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

If not the new athletics facility, maybe they could name Valley Fields after him, or at least the track.

"I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    Cool font for Marquette.

This was about 10-12 years ago...... we were vacationing in Palm Desert California at the Desert Springs resort. As usual, I'm wearing Marquette gear as I go to the fitness center. Thought it was odd that a guy who looked to be in his 90's was working there. I walk by him and say good morning..... he says good morning and asks if I went to Marquette. I said yes.... he then asks if I ever heard of Ralph Metcalfe. I said yes I had. He proceeds to tell me that he ran against Ralph and Jesse back in the day. Talked of how they sometimes were not allowed to run in competitions and laughed that those were the races he actually had a chance to win. Told a story about how he gave them a ride to a competition one time as they were not allowed on public transportation. It was so cool and absolutely fascinating, then it got even better. He opens up his wallet and pulls out a photo of himself flanked by Jesse and Ralph in their track uniforms. So, always wear your Marquette gear......you never know who you might run into.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    This was about 10-12 years ago...... we were vacationing in Palm Desert California at the Desert Springs resort. As usual, I'm wearing Marquette gear as I go to the fitness center. Thought it was odd that a guy who looked to be in his 90's was working there. I walk by him and say good morning..... he says good morning and asks if I went to Marquette. I said yes.... he then asks if I ever heard of Ralph Metcalfe. I said yes I had. He proceeds to tell me that he ran against Ralph and Jesse back in the day. Talked of how they sometimes were not allowed to run in competitions and laughed that those were the races he actually had a chance to win. Told a story about how he gave them a ride to a competition one time as they were not allowed on public transportation. It was so cool and absolutely fascinating, then it got even better. He opens up his wallet and pulls out a photo of himself flanked by Jesse and Ralph in their track uniforms. So, always wear your Marquette gear......you never know who you might run into.
    That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    He might be the most important alum in MU history. He should have a statue or the new Athletic Performance Center should be named for him.
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing!
    Agreed. Might be the most interesting post of 2016.

Mrs. Mayor wanted to see a movie last night after Hizzoner returned from Rosemont. We chose Race based on this thread. Wow. Incredibly well done. Ralph Metcalfe makes a few appearances, but you need to know who he is. There is one NCAA race where he is shown wearing a Marquette jersey very similar to the one shown above.

Hizzoner highly recommends the movie.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast