Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - "Race"

OT - "Race"

"Race" hits the theaters today and I have been trying to see if there are any scenes in the trailers with the guy playing Ralph Metcalfe wearing a Marquette top, but I think they overlapped only one college season if I'm not mistaken. Did see one scene with a guy in a Temple top (not Bill Cosby!!) so possibly that was the trials so maybe Ralph gets a scene there w/ an MU singlet.

He did get the Silver in the 100 M and part of the 4 x 100 relay that won Gold in the '36 Olympics and I think I saw a scene where it looks like it could have been Ralph leaning at the finish of the 100 to get his Silver.

Ralph had an impressive '32 Olympics as well losing a tight one in the 100 to Eddie Tolan (who was ex-Cardinal and Red Bobby Tolan's cousin. For those of you that played Strat-O-Matic no surprise that Bobby was an "A" stealer - in the genes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Metcalfe

I emailed Dr. Lovell and Bill Scholl about Ralph Metcalfe a few months back. I read something that spurred it, not sure what it was. Ralph Metcalfe's history is absolutely incredible--including his scholarship to MU when it may not have been "politically correct" to do so. Remember that Al McGuire was fighting with Adolph Rupp on this issue 30 years later and was considered a trailblazer. In any event, scholarship to MU, conversion to Catholicism, multiple Olympic Medals including the famous 1936 Olympics (Ralph's role seems neglected because of Jesse Owens but he was standing shoulder to shoulder with Jesse). Later an alderman, Congressman and founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. He might be the most important alum in MU history. He is not properly honored by MU, though I understand there is a Ralph Metcalfe Award within the Athletic Department. He should have a statue or the new Athletic Performance Center should be named for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I emailed Dr. Lovell and Bill Scholl about Ralph Metcalfe a few months back. I read something that spurred it, not sure what it was. Ralph Metcalfe's history is absolutely incredible--including his scholarship to MU when it may not have been "politically correct" to do so. Remember that Al McGuire was fighting with Adolph Rupp on this issue 30 years later and was considered a trailblazer. In any event, scholarship to MU, conversion to Catholicism, multiple Olympic Medals including the famous 1936 Olympics (Ralph's role seems neglected because of Jesse Owens but he was standing shoulder to shoulder with Jesse). Later an alderman, Congressman and founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. He might be the most important alum in MU history. He is not properly honored by MU, though I understand there is a Ralph Metcalfe Award within the Athletic Department. He should have a statue or the new Athletic Performance Center should be named for him.

The fact that many Marquette alumni don't really know who he is is rather damning. I had a vague notion of who he was as an athlete up until just a few years ago. When I heard the rest, I was shocked that he isn't honored more prominently. "Most important alum" is a pretty darn accurate statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    ...the new Athletic Performance Center should be named for him.
    What a great idea. How can we get behind it?

VS

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    The fact that many Marquette alumni don't really know who he is is rather damning. I had a vague notion of who he was as an athlete up until just a few years ago. When I heard the rest, I was shocked that he isn't honored more prominently. "Most important alum" is a pretty darn accurate statement.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post

VS
    Indeed a good idea.

When you watch the clips of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics you can see that Metcalfe was very close to being the guy to win that race.

Here is a recent article for the Journal, with a picture showing Metcalfe beating Owens in the 100 at MU.

http://www.jsonline.com/greensheet/r...369048961.html

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post

VS

Write a big check.

But seriously, having an organized effort like a letter writing campaign would be a good place to start.

Let's just say this, I'm very strong at history and I have no clue who this person is.
    March Madness starts in November

Wow - what an awesome picture. MU should have that picture and more of him available for sale in the Spirit Shop. Would be cool to have a replica singlet for sale as well.

One of my track coaches in high school was a 2-time Olympian in the 5000 in '76 and '80 (boycotted) and one of only a few US guys to beat Steve Prefontaine and he set the world record in the indoor mile in '78 and shortly thereafter on the cover of the Sports Illustrated. He used to run with us and he was in his prime. 'Nova grad and really nice, low key guy.

Winning a Gold in Track & Field in the Olympics is about as high as it gets for me being a big Track & Field fan. Ralph was studly in back-to-back Olympics and agree that he should get more recognition from the MU community.
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 02-19-2016 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast