Thread: MU Hall of Fame Induction

MU Hall of Fame Induction

Last night was the MU Hall of Fame Induction ceremony at the Union. A nice group of inductees but Steve Novak and Lloyd Walton stole the show. Steve's acceptance speech was hilarious--trash talking his brother and sisters and his teammates in attendance--Chris Grimm, Travis Diener, Dan Fitzgerald and Mike Kinsella. Then he got serious and very emotional, choking up and twice having to collect himself in order to continue. Steve gave thanks to many people in his life but giving great credit to Tom Crean.

Lloyd was in the same vein--hilarious at times and emotional at times. Lloyd is over 60 years old but his mother was in the house and he gave her great credit which caused him to choke up. Lloyd recently earned a doctorate and is now Dr. Lloyd Walton. He also touched on his teammates in the house--Earl Tatum, Greg "Pope" Johnson and Bo Ellis along with Artie Green. He now works for the NBA and knows Steve Novak well as a result. He also spoke of Rick and Hank and Al. Only lost 11 games in his time at Marquette. He had a nice tidbit about he, Jim Chones, Maurice Lucas and Earl Tatum driving to Chicago to recruit Bo Ellis--a pretty formidable group!

Probably the best line of the night was the last line from Mike Van Sickle's speech: "Fly like an Eagle and fight like a Warrior". Lloyd picked up on that in his speech, which was last. Simply put, the event was one that makes me proud to be an MU grad!
    Last edited by Gato78; 02-13-2016 at 09:23 AM.

I know that Van Sickle made past the first round of Q-school but never heard how he did after that. I assume he didn't earn his card, but anyone know how he did or if he got any provisional status?

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    I know that Van Sickle made past the first round of Q-school but never heard how he did after that. I assume he didn't earn his card, but anyone know how he did or if he got any provisional status?
    Looks like he played 11 events in the Canadian PGA tour, making $26k. Ouch.

Was friends with a (successful) former tour professional. He said that there are 100 guys for each PGA tour player that can shoot the same scores. The difference is shooting those scores when your livelihood is on the line. And that capability can disappear in an instant. Tough way to try and make a life.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson