Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seton Hall

Seton Hall

MU heads east to take on Seton Hall tonight in what I hope is a 180 from the last game we played with them.

Seton Hall is a very young team. I think they start all sophs, and really only have one senior that plays, and really no juniors.
    Barring issues, I would expect Seton Hall won't really lose anyone, as none are ready for the league (according to mock drafts).

As we know with a young team, Seton Hall can be up and down.
    I think we played soft last time, and let Seton Hall outplay and out work us. I think we will approach this game differently.

MU in a close one tonight, coming down to the last minute.

Hope you are right. But, SHU has been playing well in its last 5 games winning at Providence, losing by 1 to Nova, losing @ Xavier by 8, beating SJU by 19 and winning @ Creighton by 10. Host SHU is favored by 7 or 8 tonight. Last time around, Ismael Sanogo really outmuscled Henry and Angel Delgado gave Luke fits. SHU also has a deep backcourt and MU has no answer for Desi Rodriguez. MU needs to bring its "A" game tonight.

We played SHU even for a half, and then looked like total crap the second half.

In all honesty, I will be shocked if we pull off the upset.

Delgado is quicker, stronger, and more aggressive than Luke is. That isn't going to change tonight. Rodriguez is still a tough match up for us even if JJ is now playing more minutes than Sandy. We don't have anyone who plays with the kind of motor Rodriguez has.

Whitehead has turned into a decent point guard who can go off for 20 on any given night. I don't think either Traci or Haanif can contain him - only Whitehead can contain Whitehead.

Carrington had a crazy game against us. Not only did he score, but I think he had something like 10 rebounds. I don't see that happening a second time, but he's still a threat.

As far as Sanogo, we don't have anyone like him on our team either - that defensive stopper who can match up with a 3 or a 4.

If we get routed by 20 again, I will be extremely disappointed. I don't think we win, but I am hoping it will be close (maybe 5 - 6 points). My guess, however, is that it will be a 10 - 12 point loss.

SHU is much better than I ever expected. I figured they'd be the 8th or 9th best team in the conference.

I guess we'll find out the next two games how far we've come since the start of conference play.

If we can stick with them for a half, we can stick with them for a game. The big takeaway from the Butler game is that we played them to the end and did not fold. If we can do that tonight, we definitely have a shot. Tough to win on the road, especially against a good team, but this is a winnable game.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    If we can stick with them for a half, we can stick with them for a game. The big takeaway from the Butler game is that we played them to the end and did not fold. If we can do that tonight, we definitely have a shot. Tough to win on the road, especially against a good team, but this is a winnable game.
    Really did not stick with them for a half. We were down 22-12 at the 13 minute mark and looked bad. then got hot and had a one point lead at halftime. Wheels then fell off again. So really just a quarter of the game.

Seton Hall turned it over a bunch after Whitehead got into foul trouble IIRC...that allowed MU to get a bunch of easy run outs.

I think we went the whole first half without making 1 jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Seton Hall turned it over a bunch after Whitehead got into foul trouble IIRC...that allowed MU to get a bunch of easy run outs.

I think we went the whole first half without making 1 jump shot.
    Yep, forgot about that.

Need to keep the ball in Whitehead's hands. The kid loves shooting and he's not a good shooter. Seton Hall as a team is also not very good from three, despite their 50% performance against us. I'd definitely mix defenses on them. In man, keep Sandy or Haney on Whitehead, guys with length. Try to keep him out of the lane but give him room to shoot. He loves shooting and it's not a strength. Then work in zone and let them shoot over it. But when you do, everyone needs to be willing to crash the boards. Last time around, the Pirates got 42.1% of the offensive rebounds. That's ridiculous. We need to get to those rebounds.

IIRC, MU's guards also did a poor job keeping Seton Hall's guards out of the lane. Fischer and Henry need to be tougher against Delgado and Sanogo, but our guards have to be better against dribble penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    IIRC, MU's guards also did a poor job keeping Seton Hall's guards out of the lane. Fischer and Henry need to be tougher against Delgado and Sanogo, but our guards have to be better against dribble penetration.
    MU had trouble with that in the win over Butler. Roosevelt Jones and Kelan Martin were getting in the lane at will on Saturday. Can't let that happen tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast