Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big 12/SEC Challenge

Great event by the two conferences as they scheduled in the middle of the conference season and they did all the games in a single day. Got a lot of coverage and had some great match ups.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Bummer. Not very visionary on their part IMO. I think it would be a mutually beneficial arrangement. The Big 12/SEC Challenge certainly grabbed some attention this weekend - maybe they will reconsider. The PAC 12 is only a couple seasons removed from only a couple NCAA invites right?

Speaking of the PAC 12, would like a home and home w/ one of the SoCal teams. MU alums out there deserve a game - would be a nice road trip too.
    I would love a UCLA or USC game.

Challenges are great at the top level, but after that bottom feeders flying cross country may not be good.
    To make it more interesting, maybe just take the top 6 in each conference and play two games a piece at 3 sites. Staples Center, MSG, Phoenix, various NBA sites that may be of interest. That may alieviate some of the concerns the big boys like UCLA and Arizona may have, as they can already get big made for TV games.

Problem is the bottom teams wouldn't sign off on an event that excluded them.

So then don't exclude them. Make it a big weekend, 4 sites, 2 games per site, afternoon and evening sessions on a Saturday, afternoon & evening sessions on a Monday. Teams rotate every year, so after 3 years every Pac 12 team plays twice, every Big East team plays twice plus 4 play 3 times.

LA, Phoenix, New York & Chicago.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I wouldn't mind some MU games here in Texas! A home and home with UT would be perfect

With that said I like IWB's idea, conferences need to get creative, if you do it right you can be good all around.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    I wouldn't mind some MU games here in Texas! A home and home with UT would be perfect

With that said I like IWB's idea, conferences need to get creative, if you do it right you can be good all around.
    I'd be all over that - great road trip - you can get in a lot of trouble in Austin and I mean that in a good way.

But nobody from the PAC 12 or Big East are in Texas, that is why I suggested the NY, LA, Chicago, Phoenix deal.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Our favorite Badger hater Tony Bennett may have let slip some info about maybe, possibly a Big East/ACC challenge during the middle of conference play. Know anything about this?

http://www.streakingthelawn.com/virg...a-acc-schedule
    "In the words of Bill Simmons, "Because that's how we roll be-yotch!"" -IWB

I think it is just more of a home and home, but scheduled during the conference season. He alludes to a return game with Villanova.

The high end games worked with the Big 12 and SEC.

Might be possible that normal fans are willing to watch a really good non conference matchup with teams from other conferences, as opposed to watching normal conference games for other conferences.

Personally the Oklahoma v. LSU and Kentucky v. Kansas had more interest to me than any other conference game (excluding Big East).

Would you rather see Iowa State v. Texas A&M for the second time, or North Carolina v. Duke for the millionth time, or a late season non conference game with Virginia and Villanova?

Most non conference games are played early on when teams are figuring things out. I like the idea, even if the focus should be on your conference games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    But nobody from the PAC 12 or Big East are in Texas, that is why I suggested the NY, LA, Chicago, Phoenix deal.
    I know - I believe he was talking about a standard home & home in a region that we don't typically play in. I think you proposal is great - MU is certainly lacking in imagination when it comes to scheduling IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast