Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am now a fan of UW's women's coach...

That's right, the kids want to dunk and shoot three's. Get off twitter, get facebook, learn some history!
    March Madness starts in November

This confirms more my thoughts on BCB than it does an entire generation of youth.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    That's right, the kids want to dunk and shoot three's. Get off twitter, get facebook, learn some history!
    I agree with the entitlement sentiment, but I also feel like I should defend my kids too. During the summertime, my kids wake up at 6 am and go lift weights with the football team. Then, they go to open gyms of their other sports such as soccer or volleyball. Then, they attend their HS open gym for basketball. Then, they drive an hour and come to my two hour workout. They do this, five days a week, then they play tournaments on the weekend. I will say that most kids don't work as hard as my players, but mine do work their tails off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post

This confirms more my thoughts on BCB than it does an entire generation of youth.
    And what is that? Keep digging.

"In the words of Bill Simmons, "Because that's how we roll be-yotch!"" -IWB

One more thing about the UW coach - She might be a bad coach, I don't know. She might not be connecting with her team, and that could be her fault, I don't know. But she didn't single out her team. She talked about women's basketball all across the country. She said it was a problem, and it is, but not just with women's hoops.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Get off my lawn!!!
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Confirms my thoughts about a guy who admitted over at MU Scoop that MU is not a philanthropic priority for him than another generation of posters..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Yes, I am an older guy calling the next generation entitled.

While you may be working with college students, I am working with grade school athletes and their parents. The crap you see these days especially with club sports/select teams is absolutely crazy, and definitely building an entitled generation.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...nnials/2916016
    Actually, at our age, it would really be call the generation after the next generation.

Seriously, there are two sides though. High level players spend far more time training, competing than we did. I am stunned at the amount of hours, travel, competitions that they endure today. On the other hand, they do seem to have far more parental involvement and indulgences than we ever did.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    Actually, at our age, it would really be call the generation after the next generation.

Seriously, there are two sides though. High level players spend far more time training, competing than we did. I am stunned at the amount of hours, travel, competitions that they endure today. On the other hand, they do seem to have far more parental involvement and indulgences than we ever did.
    It does sound like your kids do work hard Crisco, and that is a testament to their work ethic. But I do wonder if any of them have time for jobs?

My kids work hard / worked hard at their sports, so I do understand how kids today work at their sports. Kids that are very good at their sport have always worked hard to develop. I think a difference now is that there seems to be an expectation on kids parts that parents will make sure they play in select or travel sport and pay for teams / travel / rent gyms / hotels, etc. While kids expect that, I guess it is as much on parents too as pbiflyer indicated.

Back in my day (yeah, I'm old) we had to work really hard to play the sports we did as well. One of the differences was we had to coordinate a lot of that on our own. After working all day in the summer, head down to school to work out in the weight room and throw the football. Play hoops every night in a league down at Hart Park, or get in extra shots at the local playground. Parents were rarely around, nor were they really expected to get us to our extra events.

To me the UW coaches comments were that to be really good you have to do some work on your own, when nobody is around or when nobody scheduled it for you. Playing AAU is great as Crisco can attest, but to be a better shooter than the next guy, you may have to take extra shots, and sometimes that may be when nobody else is around to watch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast