Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Arena and hockey

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    True, but the arena is also slated for demo, just a few years later. I think you could creatively remodel the BC. The arena is a lost cause.
    UWM Panther Arena is not going anywhere. If you think the arena is a lost cause compared to the Bradley Center, would love to your reason on that!!
    March Madness starts in November

Well, the powers that be are telling businesses around the arena that the plan is to tear it down. The arena land is part of the convention center expansion plan. While it hasn't been publicly announced, the bars and restaurants in the area are planning on it. Will it happen? Who knows? But, right now, the plan is to tear it down and they are not shy about telling people that.

The BC has much better bones than the arena. It could be converted into another use, with a little clever planning. Will it? Doubtful. But, again, saving it makes more sense than pouring cash into the arena.

Ya, I think you might have said that in the past. It's not true and it's not happening. But who knows, what 10 years plus can bring.

Rust is working its way through metal exit doors, some of the key mechanical systems are as old as the building itself, the seats are wearing out and parts of the glassy atrium roof leak. Boiling room is falling apart for starters at the Bradley Center. The arena doesn't have any of these problem. I invite you to check out the upgrade in that building!

I agree with Panther that the WCD has done a very good job of upgrading the Arena, much better that it had been (seats etc). The problem with the Bradley Center is that it is in need of millions in repairs.

Here is the big difference that I see in favor of the Arena. The arena is a 12,000 seat facility. The Bradley Center is 19,000. The new facility will be about 18-19,000. Is there a need for two facilities right next door to each other that have the same seating capacity? No, but there may be a need for a facility that is 7,000 seats smaller.

When the circus, or Disney come to town and want to negotiate, you put them in the best facility to fit their size of crowd. Then you can still book the other facility. There is no reason to have two facilities next door to each other that are the same size.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

There are guys I have ran into at events downtown that work for the company designing the new arena. Most have said the new arena will be between 17,000 to 17,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I agree with Panther that the WCD has done a very good job of upgrading the Arena, much better that it had been (seats etc). The problem with the Bradley Center is that it is in need of millions in repairs.

Here is the big difference that I see in favor of the Arena. The arena is a 12,000 seat facility. The Bradley Center is 19,000. The new facility will be about 18-19,000. Is there a need for two facilities right next door to each other that have the same seating capacity? No, but there may be a need for a facility that is 7,000 seats smaller.

When the circus, or Disney come to town and want to negotiate, you put them in the best facility to fit their size of crowd. Then you can still book the other facility. There is no reason to have two facilities next door to each other that are the same size.
    Right, but what if you build a floor between the first and second levels of the BC (like they did in Toronto). Now your seating is around 9000, maybe less if you add boxes around the top. Plus, you have a much, much nicer space. Add new locker rooms on the second floor, along with new (and efficient) ice making equipment for the hockey arena and you have the makings of a first class arena for the city's second tier sports teams. The first floor can then be converted into nightclubs, shops, etc. The atriums would be awesome locations for pregame restaurants, etc. You also build the practice facility within the BC, like they did in Toronto. That building has so much potential.

As for the arena, all I can tell you is what the powers of be told local businesses at the last planning meeting for the arena, which was well after the new site was picked. Putting your head in the sand saying that isn't the plan, doesn't make it so. The best hope for the arena is the fact that selling an expanded convention center to the taxpayers is going to be one difficult task. Putting lipstick on the pig that is the arena isn't going to make that building efficient. I get that the WCB spent a small fortune on superficial items such as seats, etc. and shoring up the foundation because of the deep tunnel fiasco. But, the guts of the place are still mess. Go in the bowels and look at the plumbing. The pipes look ready to burst.

When all is said and done, maybe the Bucks will add seats to their practice facility for UWM. I believe one of the NBA teams is doing that for a WBNA team or a D-league team. But, that leaves the Admirals high and dry, unless they move back to Wilson Park or add another couple thousand seats to the Kern Center. Truth be told, nobody really knows what will happen. A lot depends on how aggressive the potential developers are and how willing the taxpayers are to invest in downtown. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if both the BC and the arena were still standing in 10 years.

I think the number of seats is no longer a big deal, it is more the number of expensive seats that is the focus.
    More lower bowl, better suites, etc.

Once the new facility is built, unless a game is played at Miller Park, single game attendance records will not be changed.

88 - I wasn't disagreeing with anything, and think it would be great of they converted the BC to a 9,000 seat facility as you describe.

While the Admirals will be playing at the Arena, I am assuming that the new building will have the capability of putting in an ice sheet right?

Yes, ice sheet for things like Disney, but it sounds like the seating structure will not allow for a full size hockey rink.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast