Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MU Partnering with Aurora

It seems odd they would move the team since the AL was built for them. What are the main reasons? just to be closer to the sports medicine group? Could they connect the new building to Straz and have the players live there?

Quote Originally Posted by Litehouse View Post
    It seems odd they would move the team since the AL was built for them. What are the main reasons? just to be closer to the sports medicine group? Could they connect the new building to Straz and have the players live there?
    Yes it is odd. Not sure if Lovell was/is just shooting from the hip and the message/intent is getting confused.

Heard it was because Wojo wants it... and easier to sell to big buck donors.

Quote Originally Posted by dw3dw3dw3 View Post
    Heard it was because Wojo wants it... and easier to sell to big buck donors.
    I would think these are the same big buck donors that paid for the Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I would think these are the same big buck donors that paid for the Al.

Many of them yes. But that was 13 years ago.

Yeah, I don't believe the AL is much of a recruiting advantage as it used to be. The top programs all seem to have built bigger/better things in the past 13 years.

Not a fan of this.
    AL McGuire is what Marquette basketball is all about. 13 years old and it no longer serves a purpose? It is still a recruiting advantage, not all schools have that. what other schools are building is athlete's housing facilities/dorms. MU took a step back in that regard when they split the younger players apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Not a fan of this.
    AL McGuire is what Marquette basketball is all about. 13 years old and it no longer serves a purpose? It is still a recruiting advantage, not all schools have that. what other schools are building is athlete's housing facilities/dorms. MU took a step back in that regard when they split the younger players apart.
    Me neither. I can see centralizing the S&C and Sports Medicine for the teams into one building, but I don't see much benefit in men's hoops having their locker rooms/offices/practice gym to the new place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Not a fan of this.
    Don't know that I agree. Schools keep on upgrading their "student athlete" facilities. I agree about the dorm issue and hope that is on the agenda. I am guessing Wojo wants to move it to the new facility to show the partnership with the Bucks and also upgrade some of the bells and whistles that other athletic programs have - or beyond.

Unfortunately, in today's sports world, 13 years is antiquated.

I think the new facility is to have indoor competition fields for soccer and lacrosse as well as an indoor track.
    Along with that, the sports medicine facility and more. Add to that a training and practice facility for MU hoops possibly.

That will be one huge facility. If men's hoops moves their, I'd bet the Al would be one of the best women's hoops / volleyball facilities in the country.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast