Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: WIAA bans "Airball". Ridiculous.

PTI weighed in on it today and were in relative disbelief as well.

What is the over/under on days for this decision to be reversed?

I will go 1.5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Jay Bilas really going after them today...

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/686970780350038020
    Can't disagree w/ Bilas on this one. How could you? However, I am way beyond tired of his self-proclaimed conscience of college b-ball and amateur sports in general persona.

For the WIAA to be discussed on ESPN it lets you know they really stepped in it.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

So they can't do it in HS, but they can go to UW Madison and chant "you can't read this" or "ACT" or "you weren't admitted" to Diamond?

At one school in the North Shore, one student chant that was banned by the school's administration many years ago was, "That's all right. That's o.k. You're gonna work for us one day," which was yelled when that school's team (any team) was about to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    What is the over/under on days for this decision to be reversed?

I will go 1.5 days.
    They "clarified" yesterday that it was simply guidelines. Not a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    They "clarified" yesterday that it was simply guidelines. Not a rule.
    That is a joke. Sure, it's not a formal rule, but it certainly reads like an edict. Here is a copy of the original email from the WIAA:

"Seasons Greetings,

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, as well as the opportunity to take a short breather.

Heading into the new year with the holiday tournaments and conference schedules ramping up, and the winter sports Tournament Series soon to follow, we want to identify a point of emphasis for sportsmanship this season.

As we reviewed the fall tournaments and the sportsmanship evaluations and observations, we want to address concerns with a noticeable increase in the amount of chants by student sections directed at opponents and/or opponents’ supporters that are clearly intended to taunt or disrespect.

Not wanting to restrict creativity or enjoyment, an enthusiastic and boisterous display of support for a school’s team is welcomed and encouraged at interscholastic events when directed in a positive manner. However, any action directed at opposing teams or their spectators with the intent to taunt, disrespect, distract or entice an unsporting behavior in response in not acceptable sportsmanship. Student groups, school administrators and event managers should take immediate steps to correct this unsporting behavior.

Some specific examples of unsporting behavior by student groups including chants directed at opposing participants and/or fans. Among the chants that have been heard at recent high school sporting events are: “You can’t do that,” “Fundamentals,” “Air ball,” “There’s a net there,” “Sieve,” “We can’t hear you,” The “scoreboard” cheer, and “Season’s over” during tournament series play.

Thanks for your assistance!"

Oh I agree with you Mac. I was simply saying that there was nothing really to "reverse." Just that they decided to "further clarify" what they supposedly meant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast