Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: WIAA bans "Airball". Ridiculous.

Not only is that ridiculous, but when a student athlete tweeted "EAT SH*T" in response, the WIAA figured out where she went to school, informed the school administrators, and she got a five game ban. (She deleted the tweet, which was clearly meant to be a joke.)

I mean...cmon WIAA. You are that thin skinned that you tracked down where a student athlete went to school? And seriously Hilbert...suspending her? Of course the suspension is causing all sorts of ridicule and retweets - because that's how social media works.

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/wisconsi...ic-association

I was going to post the other day about the girl from Hilbert that was suspended for her tweet. She used foul language, and that is likely why the suspension. But, her criticism was this new WIAA rule. I hope all High School Kids chant all these in unison. What a joke. If there is a problem, maybe they should focus on trash talking of the athletes first ...

Next up: not keeping score and handing out "You're a winner" trophies to everyone. Sigh.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I was going to post the other day about the girl from Hilbert that was suspended for her tweet. She used foul language, and that is likely why the suspension. But, her criticism was this new WIAA rule. I hope all High School Kids chant all these in unison. What a joke. If there is a problem, maybe they should focus on trash talking of the athletes first ...
    Don't get me wrong. I certainly don't condone using foul language. However it just bugs me that administrators can't ever seem to use their judgement in cases like this.

Here is their handbook. From what I understand, they classified this tweet as a "verbal assault" and suspended her accordingly. The same penalty she would have gotten for bullying, vandalism or drug use.

http://www.hilbert.k12.wi.us/hhs/co-...arHandbook.pdf

The WIAA needs to remedy this by adding another football division.

Don't they have something better to do then worry about meaningless **** like this?

How did any of us survive the horrors of high school?

Ok, I can't stand the manner in which some younger people use the F word like it is ok in normal discourse, and I'm fine with banning foul language from being used at a high school game. But the list provided, such as airball, is an absolute joke. None of these words are really hurtful or vulgar.

Fundamentals or We can't hear you - really. These need to be banned? How embarrassing.
    Many public schools have a police presence in the building now, and we are worried about students coming to a game and chanting you can't do that when there is a foul?

Here is the list from the article.
    What are you going to do if the entire student section chants air ball (I didn't read the rules)?

• “Fundamentals”
    • “Sieve”
    • “We can’t hear you”
    • “Air ball”
    • “You can’t do that”
    • “There’s a net there”
    • “Scoreboard”
    • “Season’s over” (during tournament play)

Jeez, when I was in high school, those were the clean/boring chants. And I wasn't in high school all that long ago. Is the next update that chanting "Defense" is banned because it hurts the feelings of the offense?
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Don't they have something better to do then worry about meaningless **** like this?

How did any of us survive the horrors of high school?
    Totally bizarre.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast