• Marquette Introduces Luke Fischer

In-State schools never really had a chance to recruit Luke Fischer out of high school as the 6'11 post player committed to play for Tom Crean and the Indiana Hoosiers early on, but when Fischer realized that Indiana was not the best fit for him during his first semester there, he announced he was transferring and opened the opportunity to return to play basketball in his home state.

The decision for any player to transfer is never an easy one, and Fischer is no exception. It was not about playing time as the freshman was averaging 10.0 minutes per game for the Hooisers. It wasn't about wasn't about the need for a higher level of play as Indiana is one of the better programs in the country. "It just wasn't the right fit," said Fischer, that is the simplest I can put it. It wasn't any one thing, it just wasn't the right fit."

So Fischer sat down with his parents to discuss the issues and decided if he were going to leave, there was no reason to wait until the end of the year. If Indiana was not the right fit, it was time to move on. So move he did, and that opened up the door for schools like Marquette and Milwaukee. Wanting to continue playing at the highest level, Fischer opted for Marquette and the Big East. "It's home, its 25 minutes from Germantown and Marquette plays at the highest level in the Big East."

Fischer also saw plenty of playing time in his future too. With the odd departure of Jameel McKay and the graduation losses of Davante Gardner and Sir Chris Otule, Fischer knew that Steve Taylor was the only true post player left on Marquette's roster, and he brings a great deal of size and a unique skill set to the program. "With Chris and Davante graduating, I know the playing time is there. I feel I am better playing with my back to the basket, but I have developed the other skills as well, and working with Coach Wainwright will help me a great deal."

So, time to sit back and watch & learn in the new program, right? Not in Buzz Williams' program. "They threw me in to the fire right away. Yesterday was my first day here and they put me in immediately. Today is day 2 and I have already had my first strength and conditioning workout." Add to it that Fischer is new to campus and needs to find his classes and figure out his schedule and he is one busy guy, but feels he can handle it. "I am pretty smart, so I will pick it all up pretty quickly, but it is a bit crazy right now."

You can see Luke's introductory press conference below.....

Assistant Coach Jerry Wainwright works quite a bit with Marquette's bigs and spoke on Marquette's behalf. "Luke has a lot of talent. Mixed with the size of his hands, his wingspan and wide shouldered frame, he reminds me a lot of Tim Duncan." (Wainwright coached Duncan in college at Wake Forest). "He is a true power forward and playing alongside a real center would be where he is the most effective."

You can see Coach Wainwright's comments at the press conference below.....

Welcome to Marquette Luke!

Luke will be wearing his old high school number for the Golden Eagles, #40.

Fischer becomes the 12th player from the state of Wisconsin to select Marquette and Head Coach Buzz Williams.

• Luke Fischer - Germantown High School (Class of '13) (Indiana Transfer in)
    • Philip Flory - Wisconsin Rapids High School (Class of '17)
    • Sandy Cohen - Seymour HigH School (Class of '14)
    • Nick Noskowiak - Sun Prairie High School (Class of '15)
    • Jameel McKay - Vincent High School, Indian Hills JC (transferred out)
    • Deonte Burton - Vincent High school (Class of '13)
    • Duane Wilson - Dominican High School (Class of '13)
    • Vander Blue - Madison Memorial (Class of '10)
    • Jake Thomas - St. Catherine's High School (Class of '09) (South Dakota Transfer in)
    • Jamil Wilson - Racine Horlick (Class of '09) (Oregon Transfer in)
    • Dwight Buycks - Bay View High School (Class of '07) Indian Hills JC)
    • Jeronne Maymon - Madison Memorial (Class of '09) (transferred out)