• Elite Eight Overhaul?

In the last two weeks the Marquette Nation has seen Jake Thomas announce he was transferring because he wanted to spend his last year on a team where he could see significant playing time. Then came the announcement that freshman Jamal Ferguson was transferring to be closer to home, and that he wanted to be at a school where he could contribute more.

Those two announcements were not a shock, and were understandable. You only have one shot to play college basketball, so you need to do what you think is best for you. They should be applauded for the effort and work that they put in. While Ferguson never really got to show what he was made of, Jake Thomas will forever be remembered for his 4 point play that turned the tide in the Syracuse game, which led to Marquette winning a share of the Big East Championship.

Then this week hit. First Sophomore Juan Anderson announced he was transferring. This one came as a shock as Anderson started 31 of 35 games this year on an Elite Eight team, but the Oakland native cited family reasons for his decision, "My family is very important to me and moving closer to them is something I need to do at this time.” That is something that you really have to respect from a 20 year old, putting his family in front of his success. A shocking decision, but one you can understand and appreciate.

In the wake of Juan Anderson's decision on Monday, rumors started to swirl about the future of Vander Blue, and his dream of pursuing a career in the NBA. This is the biggest shock of all, and one that has the Marquette Nation asking....

Blue's move left the national media in shock as well.....

CBS Sports' Jeff Goodman referred to it as "one of the most baffling, head-scratching decisions of the off season".

The Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy tweeted, "You do what you want to do. But was Peyton Siva's senior year better spent winning NCAAs, or playing for the Maine Red Claws?"

ESPN's Jason King tweeted: Marquette's Vander Blue jumps into first place on my "Most Baffling NBA draft decisions" list.

This one is a head scratcher because players don't generally leave early unless they are assured of being selected in the first round, and there is no guarantee for Vander Blue. There isn't even a guarantee that he will be drafted in the second round.

Some will point to Marquette players Jae Crowder, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jimmy Butler, Lazar Hayward and Wes Matthews as proof that Buzz Williams' players make it to the NBA. This is true, but all 5 of those players exhausted their eligibility at Marquette, and it is doubtful that any would have made it to the NBA had they left early.

There were positives for Vander to stay at Marquette. First and foremost, earning his degree, something that his mom was adamant about when he first went to Marquette. Blue also needed more work on his handle as well as his outside shot. On top of it, Marquette and the Big East are headed to Fox Sports, and with Marquette being a pre-season top 10 team, the spotlight would have been on Blue all year.

But the decision was Vander Blue's and Vander Blue's alone. "I've had three great years here and appreciate everything Marquette has done for me during that time to help me develop," Blue said in a statement. "At this point I want to pursue my dream. I've prayed about it and discussed it with my family and think this is the right decision for me at this time."

When Vander Blue first visited Marquette, he told Buzz Williams, "I think I need Marquette more than Marquette needs me." And it was down the stretch of this Elite Eight season that Vander said in a post game press conference, "Buzz knows me better than I know myself, he's like a father to me." Comments like those make it even more surprising, but Blue showed tremendous improvement on the court and in the classroom, this year and feels he is ready for the next step.

Whether you agree with his decision or not, it is time to thank Vander Blue for his effort and contributions, and wish him well.

With one of the best front courts in the country returning next year and a top 10 recruiting class coming in, Marquette will be just fine. JaJuan Johnson is a top 30 recruit, Duane Wilson and Deonte Burton are college ready players, Jameel McKay is a two-time Juco All-American and there is also this gem hidden down in Clovis, New Mexico by the name of John Dawson. That group will be inexperienced, but hungry. And with what everyone thought was an over flowing roster, suddenly Buzz Williams has two openings to work with......

• Does Buzz find an uncommitted senior?
    • Does Buzz find a ready-to-play graduate?
    • Does Buzz pull in an experienced Juco player?

It all remains to be seen, but CBS' Jeff Goodman wrote what Marquette fans have come to realize over the last five years, "as long as (Buzz) Williams is running things, the names might change -- but the success likely won't."