• Girls Playoff Preview

Last week began the start of the WIAA boys basketball playoffs. Now it's the ladies' turn this week. There might be a few surprises along the way as they're usually are. Upset are upsets and expected wins are expected wins.

My predictions for some of the area teams to make it to state are bold. Not too many people will go out on a limb like me and pick the teams who will match up against each other throughout the playoffs.

I see De Pere and Kimberly squaring off in the Ashwaubenon sectional finals. The Cardinals won the Division 1 state title last year and are a good bet to win their second in a row. The Verona vs. Madison La Follette matchup at Sun Prairie should be a good one. The winner of that game gets the winner of top-seed Mukwonago and Janesville Parker. I predict a Parker-Verona final at Middleton.

In the Sheboygan South sectional, Sussex Hamilton should beat Arrowhead in the regional finals at home. Germantown's up-tempo basketball might run Waukesha West off the court to set up a date with their crosstown rivals in the Chargers in the sectional semis at Kettle Moraine. I pick Hamilton to make it to state.
    My favorite to win the sectional final game between Superior and Oshkosh North at D.C. Everest is North.

The drama will unfold in the West Allis Central sectional. An Oak Creek vs. Franklin border battle matchup in the sectional semifinal at Greenfield is on the horizon and it will be intense. This will be as close to a Hatfield and McCoy feud as any in the area. South 27th St. is the dividing line between the cities of Oak Creek and Franklin. They never liked each other and unfortunately they never will.

A Milwaukee Riverside and Brookfield Central battle should be interesting in the regionals. Milwaukee King and DSHA will be another one to watch in the regional finals. The odd thing about the King/DHSA matchup is that Shaq Fowler and Arike Ogunbowale are good friends. They won an under-13 national title together. They hang out together and go to Marquette women's games.

All the pleasantries between Fowler and Ogunbowale take a back seat on game day in a packed DSHA gymnasium that seats maybe 500. It will be standing room only, trust me. Once the game starts, the friendship is off and the game face is on, along with some pushing, bumping and who knows what else. DSHA has depth and should win the game. Riverside and Oak Creek will play for the trip to state at Central.

In the Division 2 sectional at Brookfield Central, Pius and New Berlin Eisenhower should meet with the winner punching their ticket to Madison. An East Troy and Kettle Moraine Lutheran final at Arrowhead should be fun to watch.

The playoffs for girls basketball starts this Tuesday. The tournament will be at the Resch Center in Ashwaubenon for the first time instead of Madison.