• Presidents of "Catholic 7" release statement, 'We're leaving the Big East'

The presidents of the "Catholic 7" have released a statement announcing they are leaving the Big East today.

Here is the statement in its entirety....

"Earlier today we voted unanimously to pursue an orderly evolution to a foundation of basketball schools that honors the history and tradition on which the Big East was established. Under the current context of conference realignment, we believe pursuing a new basketball framework that builds on this tradition of excellence and competition is the best way forward.

We are grateful to our Commissioner, Michael Aresco, for his exceptional leadership of the Big East Conference. We have been honored to be associated with the outstanding group of institutions that have made up the Big East. While we pursue this opportunity for our institutions, we believe the efforts of the past two years have established the foundation for an enduring national football conference.

We look forward to building this new foundation with an emphasis on elite competition and a commitment to the development of our students engaged in intercollegiate athletics. That is where we will now spend our energy as we move forward.”

There are questions that remain....

What happens to the Big East name?

The fact that the 7 announced that they are "leaving" the Big East, suggests that they will be looking for a new name, but that doesn't mean they can't. Who gets the name will be settled in the courtroom.

In my opinion, fight for the name, it will still carry a lot of weight.

Will the tourney remain at Madison Square Garden?

The Big East Conference has the rights to the tournament at Madison Square Garden, but the Garden won't want to host a tourney for what is left. Will the new conference be enough to entice the Garden?

In my opinion, the tourney at Madison Square Garden is critical. This is the most famous basketball arena in the world, and without the Big East name or MSG, the new conference will not be as high profile as it deserves to be.

What teams will be added?

Rumors are swirling that the additions will be Xavier, Butler with another TBD.

In my opinion a smaller conference is fine, but I wouldn't walk away from Temple or Memphis just yet, they would stay committed for hoops only.

Does the fact that the news was first reported by NBC Sports suggest anything?

I am told that there is a lot of interest from the networks in this new league, we'll have toi wait and see where it all goes.

RIP to what was The Big East, you were the greatest basketball conference ever, and you will be missed.