• The Greatest Game that Never Was

USS Yorktown, Mt Pleasant, SC -
    Constructing a basketball court on an aircraft carrier is not an easy task, add in thousands of seats for the military and you have a massive production, but Morale Entertainment did just that. As Notre Dame topped Ohio State in the women’s game, the seats started to fill, mostly with members of the military.

“We gave away about 85% of the tickets,” said event director Mike Whalen, “Most to the military and the Wounded Warrior Project, and some to the schools.”

It could not have been a more beautiful scene. The sun was setting behind the West end of the court as a pelican flew over the hoop and military personnel from every branch were dressed in uniform, all standing and saluting as the flag came out onto the court. The crowd was electric as the starting lineups were introduced, Ohio State coming out in their camouflage grey uniforms, Marquette in baby blue camouflage unis. Without question, this was ‘One of Those Places’, this was ‘One of Those Events’.

And then is started.

“I first knew there was a problem when I saw a couple of Marquette players go from the three point line to the free throw line without moving their feet,” said Ohio State’s Aaron Craft. This game meant a great deal to Craft as his brother serves in the military and only returned to the US a week ago.

With temperatures dropping, an 80% humidity level and no wind, dew started settling on the court. First the event staff started wiping the floor, then Marquette’s managers, then Marquette’s players and coaches. Even Marquette’s Buzz Williams, wearing a Captain’s hat and Army boots, was on all fours trying to dry the floor. Two Ohio State players finally joined in, but there was only so much anyone could do.

Marquette’s managers may have been the most well prepared people on board the USS Yorktown. As they decided to delay the game for 20 minutes to see if the court would dry, Buckeye players stood there in the cold, while Marquette’s managers provided the players with jackets, stocking caps and hand warmers. “We’re trained to be prepared for anything and everything,” said Marquette manager George Eliopolis.

With officials from both programs talking at mid court for more than a half hour, the decision was made to call off the game. “It was my decision,” said Whalen. “I was not going to allow any of these student athletes to get hurt because of the conditions. It just isn’t worth it.”

When asked if they were going to reschedule this at a later date in the season Buzz Williams didn’t hesitate, “No,” said the head coach.

The players were devastated and only responded to questions with brief answers.
    Juan Anderson: “I was looking so forward to this.”

Derrick Wilson: “I just can’t believe it.”

Vander Blue didn’t have words, he just shook his head.

Jake Thomas: “It’s unfortunate, but we have to focus on Sunday.”

Senior Trent Lockett added, “ Unbelievable, but it was the right call, it was like we were on ice skates out there. We wanted to play them, we wanted to beat the #4 team in the country.”

Buzz Williams put things into perspective. “With the lessons we learned here this week and the members of the military we spent time with, this was about them. The game was secondary.” Ohio State’s Thad Matta agreed. “Buzz is right. As much as we wanted to play, this was not about a basketball game, this was about so much more, it really was.” Williams added, “The players wanted to play, coaches wanted to coach and fans wanted to watch, but this was the right call.”

As the crowd was milling around it was announced that players from both teams would sign autographs for the fans, which they did for about a half hour, and in the middle of the signings, Assistant Coach Brad Autry did something that will leave a lasting impression in my mind. He pulled Jamil Wilson, Junior Cadougan and Chris Otule out of the autograph line and said to them quietly, “Guys – go over there to that section, that is where all of the people from the Wounded Warrior Program are seated. You will see some in wheel chairs. Go over there, you need to spend time with those people.”

Autry didn’t even have to finish his sentence, the players were already on their way, and that moment, more than any other, told me that, game or no game, this was a very successful event.