• Marquette adds Jajuan Johnson to already powerful recruiting class

After a long and crazy recruitment, Jajuan Johnson, the 6’5 guard out of Southwind High School in Memphis announced his decision at a press conference at his high school on Friday, and he will play for Marquette and Head Coach Buzz Williams.

In the end Marquette won out over Alabama and Miami, but throughout his recruit process Johnson had picked up offers from the likes of Arkansas, Auburn, Cincinnati, Florida, Louisville, Memphis, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas and Wake Forest.

“I’m very excited about the decision, but I’m happy it’s over”, said Johnson, “It’s a big relief.”

Coming down to the wire things got pretty crazy. With so many people trying to get the inside scoop, and one reporter tweeting on Thursday that he was headed to Marquette, Johnson’s family made the decision to turn off their phones. The 6’5 guard said, “We had to, it was pretty crazy”. Cutting off their phones meant cutting off contact with the schools’ coaching staff too. With the press conference reportedly starting at 1:00, many reporters were tweeting that his decision was Marquette, but he hadn't made an announcement yet. With the press conference at 1:15, Johnson kept everyone in the dark, including Marquette’s Buzz Williams. “I didn't call him until about an hour after I made the announcement. He was really fired up, really excited, said he wasn't sure what I was going to do.”

With so many schools, so many factors involved, the decision wasn't an easy one. “It was very hard, I really wasn't sure what IU should do, but my mom made it a lot easier for me, mom’s do have a way of doing that.”

The recruitment of Johnson was run by Marquette’s new Assistant Coach Isaac Chew. “Coach Chew is a great guy. He knows how to coach and he really knows how to build relationships. From the start he wasn't recruiting me, he was recruiting my whole family, everyone around me, and that means a lot.”

And then there is Buzz Williams. “Buzz is a really cool guy. I know he will get the most out of me, and he really knows his job. Not just the coaching, but everything, how to develop you.”

Many factors went into the decision for Scout.com’s #33 ranked player, but the one that topped all others was his recruiting class. “We have a great recruiting class, and we aren't even done yet. I want to win a national championship and we can do that at Marquette.”

Another major key in the recruitment is the Big East. “I’m a basketball player and the Big East is a basketball conference. Every player wants to play against the best and that is what the Big East is.” With the University of Memphis joining the Big East, Johnson will get the chance to play in front of his family and friends when the Golden Eagles play the Tigers. “Yeah, that will be fun,” said Johnson with a sinister sounding laugh.

Johnson feels he will bring a lot to the table when he gets to Milwaukee. “I am a slasher, a scorer. I can shoot the trey ball. I can get to the basket, but shooting the trey is my biggest strength. I need to work on improving my rebounding, but that will come.”

When asked about what Buzz Williams thinks his role will be when he arrives are Marquette, Johnson was quick with the answer. “Coach Buzz wants me to be a scorer. He wants me to be a leader from the start, right when I get there.”

Having been to Milwaukee and watching the fans at Marquette Madness, Johnson also feels he will fit in well with everyone in the program. “I’m a fast learner and I have always been a smiley type of kid. I think my teammates would describe me as playful, so that is who they can expect to see with me next year.”

Johnson seems to be as excited about coming to Marquette as the fans are to have him, and that is saying a lot. By mid-afternoon on Friday the majority of the ranking services had Marquette back in the top 10, anywhere from #5 to #8, which says that Johnson’s goal of a national title is legitimately something to shoot for.

Great job by Isaac Chew and Buzz Williams, Marquette is certainly continuing to build a national contender.

Quick hitters to answer fans’ questions….

It is Jajuan, not JuJuan. Only the first J is capitalized, and he is a legit 6’5.

Talk about Johnson and the rest of his recruiting class in our message boards!
    Comments 1 Comment
      Phantom Warrior -
      Excellent article.

It is going to be fascinating watching Buzz put all the pieces together the next few years.