• In search of a team leader, who will be "THE GUY"?

Over the last few years, there has been no question as to who the team leaders were on Marquette's basketball team. People like Dominic James, Lazar Hayward, Jimmy Butler....and last year there were two, Darius Johnson Odom and Jae Crowder. But with those players all having moved on to their professional careers, who will emerge as the team leader or leaders this year? There are plenty of options....

Junior Cadougan, Chris Otule, Trent Lockett, Jamil Wilson.... There are plenty to consider. And they don't always have to be the seniors. Freshman Jamal Ferguson is quick to point out those that have helped show him the ropes, those that helped him get through boot camp. "I really look up to guys like Jamil Wilson, Juan Anderson, Davante Gardner – they are helping me do a lot of things, giving me tips, trying to help me to get better by telling me the things that they do, things that have helped them get better, it has been great having guys like that to help me every day."

But who will emerge as THE GUY? This isn't about scoring, it has more to do with who rallys the team, who talks to them in the huddle, who gets them into the gym even when there isn't a practice? Basically, who will the others follow?

Buzz Williams prefers leaders like Joe Fulce. "Joe was the kind of guy that gave you everything he had, even when he was out with an injury. Joe pushed his teammates in a lot of ways. He made everyone work harder."

That description could fit any of the guys listed above. So, let's take a closer look at each one....

Trent Lockett:
    Trent is perfectly capable, he is a true senior, and was a stellar leader on and off the court at Arizona State. Lockett has already graduated from Arizona State, so he understands what it takes to succeed on and off the court. However, being new to the program, Trent is still finding his way at Marquette. With his ability and talent, there is no question that he will emerge as a leader, but don't don't expect him to be THE GUY.

Chris Otule:
    Chris has been through quite a bit throughout his tenure at Marquette - a coaching change, an injury, another injury.....it hasn't exactly been seashells and balloons for the red-shirt senior. And, having missed the majority of last season, his confidence level may be in question and he may be one that needs to be led as opposed to the one leading.

Junior Cadougan:
    The senior from Toronto is poised and ready to be the leader this team needs. Cadougan isn't the outgoing vocal leader that people generally look for, but he does have the respect of his peers, and he relishes the role of playing the floor general, and he feels he is up to the challenge, "I like to come in and make things positive. I try to get my teammates to play hard every day. That will make my job easier if everyone comes ready to play and ready to work every day."

Two summers ago Junior lost his father. He flew home to Toronto for the funeral, and headed back immediately afterwards because he wanted to be there for the first day of the Scion Dental Milwaukee Summer Pro-Am. "I felt I needed to be there to send the right message to my teammates" said Cadougan. He certainly has what it takes to be THE GUY.

Jamil Wilson: Now we have Jamil Wilson. Wilson has always been described as a fun loving, happy go lucky guy. Experts have often said Wilson was someone that 'could be better if he were to take it seriously". Well, Wilson is serious, but does he have what it takes? Freshman Steve Taylor believes he does. "I look up to Jamil for everything. He has been through a lot and I haven’t been through anything yet, so I look to him for answers. He has always impressed me, and always helps me."

So Wilson is helping the younger guys, is he ready to lead the team? Is he capable of being THE GUY? The junior believes he is. "I definitely see myself as a leader. I have been at Marquette for two years now, so I have a couple of years on some of these guys, so I try to help where I can. I know how hard it was when I first got to college and I struggled to adjust and things like that. There are times when everyone needs a pat on the back, everybody needs something to help them out. I just try to help the young guys because, eventually at some point, we’re going to need them as much as they need us. It’s always good to help them out early, to get their feet wet, to make sure they know what’s going on so that when things do happen, they are ready for it, they don’t panic, they know it’s coming."

Wilson has also heard that recruits coming to visit have requested him, and that some alums have said he could become the face of the program, and he is fine with. "It's great that they feel that way, and it is nice to hear that. I think it is because I am sociable. I know the students and the students feel they can talk to me. When I walk around with a recruit, I will introduce him to people and say, This is my friend, he is visiting campus today, can you tell him what it means to you to be here at Marquette?' At the end of the day I am just doing what I do because that's me, that is who I am. I do what I do on the court because of my love for the game. I have that desire and that competitive edge because that is what was instilled in me by my father.

When all is said and done, you will see that this Marquette Golden Eagles team is full of leaders, leaders that are helping each other every day. Some can point at Junior Cadougan or Chris Otule as THE GUY, some might point to Trent Lockett or Jamil Wilson. Some might even point to Juan Anderson and Davante Gardner. But like many of the Golden Eagles teams of the past, you will be more likely to see different people playing that role on different nights. Because, to steal a line from Jamil Wilson and use it to describe this team, "They will do what they do because that is who they are."

Talk about who you think will be THE GUY in our message boards - click here!