• What a week for hoops, here and around the world

Last weekend kicked off the graduation season. So, to all of you that gave it everything you had for your high school and college teams and have or are graduating - congrats, thank you and good luck in the future!

So, where to start......

Preps

Last weekend kicked off the NY2LA Invitational AAU Tournament. This event is one of the largest in the Midwest and brought in some of the top high school talent from around the country. In all honesty, I don't know how Antonio Curro does it. Have you every tried scheduling a league or tournament? Try scheduling an 11 team three week league. Then turn around and look at the scheduling for this event. Four high school facilities, 228 teams and 443 games in all.

I have been complaining lately about the lack of respect our state gets, and the kids from the local programs backed me up at the NY2LA Invitational.....

• 17U Platinum Championship - TP Elite over Wisconsin Swing (Deonte Burton hit game winner at buzzer)
    • 17U Gold Champions - Wisconsin Bulldogs
    • 16U Platinum Champions - RAS Milwaukee
    • 16U Gold Runner up - Wisconsin Bulldogs
    • 15U Platinum - (ouch)
    • 15U Gold Champions - WI Blizzard
    • 14U Platinum Champions - Wisconsin Playground Warriors
    • 14U Gold Championship - WI Bulldogs over WI Shooters
    • 13U Platinum - Playground Warriors
    • 12U Platinum Runner up - Playground Warriors
    • 11U Platinum Champions - RAS Milwaukee over DTA Spartans
    • 10U Platinum Champions - Playground Warriors over DTA Spartans
    • 9U Platinum - (ouch)

I spent a good amount of time out at Homestead, and will have some individual breakdowns later tonight. I also spent a lot of time talking to AAU coaches as well as Antonio Curro, and these people really do have a strong desire to promote Wisconsin basketball on a national level. One of the main things stressed was academics. These coaches understand that academics need to be made a priority for these kids early on, but are also a bit irritated. One coach said, "Yes, MPS needs to change and improve, but there are school districts in cities around the country that are worse, yet their kids are being accepted."

Most coaches agreed that, if a school came down to two equal players and could only take one, they would take the one from Chicago - just because it helps strengthen future Chicago recruiting ties.

Curro had another interesting point in promoting the Wisconsin kids on the national level. "These coaches and programs have done a great job developing these players, and the kids are working hard and getting scholarships, but the the next step has to be getting them into the coaching profession once they graduate. We need more of our kids going into the college coaching profession." That to me was a great point, one that I really hadn't thought of before. Scout.com came out with their updated Top 100 list for the class of 2013 last week. Several Wisconsin players on the list....

• #43 Deonte Burton, Milwaukee Vincent (Marquette)
    • #63 Duane Wilson, Whitefish Bay Dominican (Marquette)
    • #87 Matt Thoams, Onalaska (Undecided - considering Boston College, Creighton, Iowa State, Marquette, Minnesota, Northwestern, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wisconsin-Green Bay)
    • #94 Luke Fischer, Germantown (Indiana)

The one glaring omission from that list is Bronson Koenig from LaCrosse Aquinas. Koenig, who is headed to Wisconsin, dropped out of the rankings, but why? Is it because he was injured during his high school season? I can see that, and it may impact local rankings but not national, as those people only care about the AAU circuit. Koenig has been producing on the AAU circuit during the Spring, so what is the deal? I went off on this in the message boards the other day, but my guess is he dropped because "there's no way we can have 5 kids from Wisconsin, we shouldn't even have 4."

Milwaukee Panthers

Things haven't been quiet in Milwaukee....

Rob Jeter is in the UW Platteville Hall of Fame for the second time, and he is also in the inaugural class of the WIAC Hall of Fame.

Three players signed their NLIs last week....

Jimmy Lemke has a great podcast out there hitting on all areas regarding UWM basketball.

Several former players are having success overseas. Hope to see several of those guys in the Scion Dental Pro-Am this summer.

Here is the Milwaukee Panther 2010-2011 highlight video....

Marquette Golden Eagles

Former Marquette players have been successful overseas this season too, but you have to hand it to Joe
    Chapman and Travis Diener, both winning championships in Europe. Playing for the Newcastle Eagles, Joe Chapman not only won a title, but picked up the Molten Ball MVP as well. Over in Italy Travis and his cousin took home a title playing for Dinamo Sassari, but Travis also took home the 3 point title in the All-Star game. Playing Pro ball in other countries is great for these guys, not only does it help them earn a living, but it also helps them to see the world. It also helps when your wife is a professional photographer - check out this photo of Dan Fitzgerald taken by his wife Dominika off of their hotel balcony in Thailand. You have to click on it to get the full sized picture for the best effect....

In other Marquette news Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson Odom continue to strive for the NBA Draft. My guess is that both will go in round 2, but Crowder's stock may have dropped a bit as he only measured in at 6'3 at the combine. Draft Express has Crowder going at the 13th pick in the 2nd round to Atlanta, and DJO the 17th pick in the second round to Utah. Over at NBADraft.Net they have neither player being drafted.

Buzz Williams still has a shell of a staff after Tony Benford took the North Texas job and brought Bart Lundy with him. It could get a bit more difficult as assistant Aki Collins is being courted by the likes of Clemson, Memphis and Georgetown. Who Williams hires to replace Benford has a lot to do with whether or not Collins leaves, but you can expect Williams to fill the staff after the next major round of AAU tournaments.

On that note Williams still has a roster spot to fill, and the various transfers are still the favorites to fill that slot, though they won't visit MU until after the team returns from their two week vacation.

The Big East is in the midst of their conference meeting, and quite honestly, that scares the hell out of me. Where is the Big East headed? All depends on the Big XII, will they expand or not? Sounds like NBC & Fox impressed.

Milwaukee Bucks NBA

The Bucks got a big boost in the arm with BMO Harris Bank purchasing the naming right to the Bradley Center, and that will go a long way towards the building of a new a stadium, though I think Milwaukee would be better off expanding/renovating the current BC.

Draft workouts will begin soon, and the Bucks are expected to bring a wide variety of players through town. I will try to get a handle on all of the players coming through, and will report as things take shape. As of now, NBA Draft.net has the Bucks taking UNC big man Tyler Zeller in round 1 and Memphis wing Will Barton in round 2. Draft Express also has the Bucks taking Zeller, but has them going with Spanish combo guard Thomas Santorasky.

Photo of the day.... So, what did the fan reaction look like when Dinamo Sassari came from behind to win the title in Italy? well, with Travis and Drake Diener taking the title, you knew Bob & Dick would be in Italy and happy.....

Video of the Day - You got to love Kyrie Irving's video promoting Pepsi Max - Irving goes through an entire makeup conversion and then hits the Playground pick-up games disguised as "Uncle Drew". Absolutely classic.

One final non-basketball unrelated note - one of our visitors has some kids that were featured on Madison TV this week, a very huge congrats to him, not too often you have four college athletes in your family!