• Thursday's Film session (3/1/12)

It's Thursday, we'll start out with some local radio.....

OnMilwaukee.com's Dave Begel talks about how Milwaukee's talk radio landscape is (mostly) barren. On the sports side, he says there is not much to listen to, outside of ESPN's The D-List. He also says....

• ESPN's D-List with Drew Olsen and Dan Needles are the best, but their humor gets the best of them.
    • WTMJ's Trenni Kusnierek and Greg Matzek are a bit forced, and that Trenni would be better on her own.
    • ESPN's Jason Wilde is good, but over utilized, and that the material isn't always fresh.
    • WSSP is the "worst collection of mad hatters that are always against something".
    • ESPN's Steve "The Homer" True was the best, but lost his edge.

So, you want my thoughts? Too bad, you will get them anyway...

• ESPN's D-List - When it comes to baseball, Drew Olden is one of the best there is. He is coming around on the other sports, and is a great partner for anyone. Not a lead guy, but capable of being the best counterpart in any town.
    • WTMJ's Trenni & Greg - Trenni is not only piping hot, she is also very talented. Her stint in NYC with MLB network was because she knows her stuff. When it comes to Matzek, I use to think he was over hyped, but since landing the full time gig he has put in the work and is improving. In my opinion he has almost come full circle. I understand Begel's assessment, but think both are talented, maybe just not the best fit together, but give them some time.
    • ESPN's Jason Wilde - Agree completely. He knows his stuff, gets info from the players, but a bit too much. Yes, the Packers are #1, but there is more to the Milwaukee sports world than just the Pack. Also, I don't mind occasional drops, but if he mentions his wife and kid 364 more time I'm going to puke. Wilde - guys don't care that you think your wife is the most wonderful woman in the world, and when you know you are going to be on air, put the baby in the crib and go to another room.
    • WSSP - I have to agree with Begel here, with one exception, and that is The Big Unit. I rarely agree with Bill Michaels, but he has one of the most recognizable voices in Milwaukee radio, and if you can get past his ego, he isn't bad. It was a bad move when they got rid of Doug Russell, a mistake that can't be taken back.
    • ESPN's Steve "The Homer" True - I still like Homer, as he knows his stuff and works for it, but agree that the show has stumbled a bit. I will point to others' comments for the reason there is a speed bump in the show. Over the past 6 months, I can not tell you how many people have said to me, "I used to listen to Homer all the time, but I can't listen to him anymore because I can't stand that 'Thunder' guy." I have heard that A LOT. Thunder is of course Homer's sidekick, Mitch Nelles. I can't argue with that complaint. Nelles started out as Homer's producer, much like Sparky Pfiefer did, and over time has gone from dropping a comment once a day to trying too hard to show how much he knows on every topic. He has a rough voice to listen to and has hindered Homer more than helped him. I may or may not have referred to him in a message board rant not too long ago.

As for the rest....I mentioned in a message board thread awhile ago, I will always give credit to those that show up at everything, media availabilities, games, press conferences, but there are too many from every station that don't go to anything. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada..... but isn't that their job? Too many stay informed just by poking around the internet instead of seeing/hearing/finding out for themselves.

On to Hoops...

#7 Marquette's loss to Cincinnati

Ugly. Very Ugly. As I said in the post game story, "I am the kind of guy that, when my teams lost when I was growing up, I wouldn't look at the newspaper and I wouldn't watch the news. Now I am much older and all grown up, so now when my teams lose, I have a much different approach. I still don't read the paper, I still don't watch the news, but now, I don't log on to my computer. My, how I have grown."

Cincinnati's seniors gave it their all on Senior night, not only to go out on a high note, but also to try and earn an NCAA bid. Looked like they earned it to me, MU was flat and Cincy could do no wrong. The only bright spot was Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson Odom's performances were still All-Big East worthy.

Here are some Cincy highlights....

Another bright spot for MU fans was in Madison Square Garden. Steve Novak lit it up for the Knicks once again, which prompted the sell out crowd to chant, "No-vak! No-vak! No-vak!" in the 4th quarter. Novak's trip to The Big Apple has certainly resurrected his career.

Milwaukee Bucks

The Bucks were in action last night in Boston, and despite the Celtic's Rojon Rondo trade rumors, the Bucks couldn't stop the Celtics' star from recording his 3rd triple double of the year. For the Bucks it was Drew Gooden & Ersan Ilyasova that combined for 48 points and 18 rebounds. Jeremy Schmidt of Bucksketball graded the performances.

Here are the highlights...

DIII - WIAC

Often billed as the best small school conference in the country, the WIAC released their All-WIAC selections as well as the WIAC All-Time Team.

UWM Panthers

After beating UIC at the Klotsche Center on Tuesday, the Panthers are back in action in the Horizon League Tournament tomorrow night, 7:00 in Valpo against the back-to-back Final Four Butler Bulldogs. If you are headed to Valpo, check out PantherU's Travel Guide. Here are comments from Head Coach Rob Jeter, Ryan Allen and James Haarsma about the win over UIC and the matchup against Butler.

Preps

Future Badger Sam Dekker breaks a record and future Panther Austin Arians hits a milestone.

The boys state tournament is underway, and the girls are winding up the regular season. Troy Sparks takes a look at a huge matchup between DSHA and Sussex Hamilton for the Greater Metro Title.

Also on the girls side, Time Warner Sports 32 looks at DSHA's freshman sensation Arike Ogunbowale....

Photo(s) of the day are front pages from the New York Post and the New York Daily News