PDA

View Full Version : Ex-MU Player Reggie Smith Leaving UNLV

ge1974
05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
To attend a school closer to his ailing grandmother..

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/unlv-guard-smith-granted-release-from-basketball-team-152362355.html?ref=355

Hamostradamus
05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
...and I'm sure he wouldn't mind more PT.

TedBaxter
05-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Any good D2 schools in the area? Lewis? Parkside? He could play right away, correct?

Goose85
05-22-2012, 08:47 AM
If he transfers, will he sit out one year and then have two years left to play? You do get five years and I think he is considered a soph.

Not sure this kid will be happy anywhere.

Mark Miller
05-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Bad decision after bad decision. Truth is, he's just not all that good.

Nukem2
05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Bad decision after bad decision. Truth is, he's just not all that good.Smith has some obvious physical talents, but his skills say he is a role player. Guess he has not read the memo yet.

warriorfan4life
05-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Bad decision after bad decision. Truth is, he's just not all that good.

Along with the reported family issues, the coach that recruited him to UNLV (Lon Kruger) left for OU and Dave Rice has recruited over him with Daquan Cook and Katin Reinhardt.

Goose85
05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
If he doesn't want to get recruited over, and wants immediate playing time, then Illinois State, UIC, Loyola, Northern Ill, etc are the programs for him.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
I think this is a simple case of a guy not being willing to wait his turn. Kids see the one-and-dones and think that's supposed to be them. The truth of it is not everyone has that level of talent and some guys need to learn the game and the system, and that often takes 2-3 years before a guy can really contribute. I have no doubt Smith has the ability to be a very good college player, possibly even at the high-major level, but it isn't something that will happen overnight. As a freshman, he was well placed to play a significant role. The guy did start 5/7 games, average 10 mpg, and was given plenty of early opportunities. But because he wasn't an instant star, because it was hard, he went somewhere else.

Suddenly, his new coach is gone, he's being recruited over, and again, it's hard. He could try to work through it, to take on the challenge, and hopefully start getting PT in the next two years, or he could give up and go somewhere he thinks it will be easier. Maybe at UIC or Loyola he can be that instant star, albeit in the Horizon. If being BMOC is that important, I guess it's better for him. But in terms of basketball development, he's made bad decision after bad decision. It was a mistake to lose a year of playing time by transferring out of Marquette, now it's a mistake to leave UNLV. But everyone wants to be the star, and some people aren't patient. Just the nature of the one-and-done era.