IrwinFletcher
12-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Amen!

dubs98
12-07-2015, 08:57 PM
well done

Gato78
12-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Fwiw, my late father in law was a WWII hero--2 Silver Stars, a Bronze Star and Purple Heart as a result of his valor in the Battle of the Bulge. He would hate these types of adulation. He was from the old school--you shut up, do your job and don't brag. When Mrs Gato and I watched the Villanova game tonight, she was emphatic that her father never would have participated in that kind of recognition. My nephew who served in Iraq is of a similar mind--the recgnition of veterans at sporting events makes him crazy--should not be in a soldier's DNA.

TedBaxter
12-08-2015, 05:39 AM
Agree Gato.

My best friends father fought in WWII and was at the Battle of the Bulge, but he never said anything about it. I knew he was in the National Guard, but until his obituary came out in 1984, I never knew that he was in one of the deadliest battles and even his sons weren't told much. He said to one of them that he had lost a lot of friends and wanted to leave it at that.

MulliganMusings
12-08-2015, 08:01 AM
I understand Gato's point. My father flew 25 missions, on a B-17, during WWII and all my uncles served including one who fought on Iwo Jima and rose to the rank of Colonel in the USMC during his subsequent career. I never heard either one tell a "war" story. Stories about guys they knew, friends, humorous encounters but never one story about combat action. The closest my Dad ever came is one evening, while watching a documentary on the introduction of the Messerschmidt jet by the Germans late in the war, he said that those planes terrified the B-17 crews because they would come up and take out a number of planes before running out of fuel and returning to base. He then commented that if Hitler had listened to his military and scientists we might all be speaking German; fortunately he did not :) That said, it's a different time and I think today people like to celebrate their patriotism in many ways including acknowledging the contributions of our veterans. I also think some of it stems from the poor treatment veterans, of Vietnam, received.

Phantom Warrior
12-08-2015, 08:20 AM
My father was a Lieutenant in the Navy in World War 2 in Okinawa, which was the site of incredibly fierce battles. Not once did my dad ever talk about the War. It was almost a forbidden subject in our home. I was never allowed to even ask him a question about the War.

I am sure there are vets from the Viet Nam War and the wars in Iraq that feel the same way my dad did, while others are open, perhaps even eager, to share their experience and their thoughts/views.

Personally, I can understand and appreciate both reactions.

Halo
12-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Interesting stories guys about your relatives/friends. I have heard in the past from my relatives they hate to talk about it because of just the sheer horror of losing your 'brothers' there in death or awful injuries and it was something many of them did not sign up for or yearn to be and do. They were drafted and had a job to do, but they were just normal boys/men like many of us thrust into life and death situations that they had no control over. I cannot imagine and I am sure I would not want to talk about it much either.

unclejohn
12-08-2015, 09:05 AM
My father was a Lieutenant in the Navy in World War 2 in Okinawa, which was the site of incredibly fierce battles. Not once did my dad ever talk about the War. It was almost a forbidden subject in our home. I was never allowed to even ask him a question about the War.

I am sure there are vets from the Viet Nam War and the wars in Iraq that feel the same way my dad did, while others are open, perhaps even eager, to share their experience and their thoughts/views.

Personally, I can understand and appreciate both reactions.

They did not talk about PTSD back then. I understand the reaction as well, but I do like the idea of recognizing those who serve. Many medal recipients feel that they are undeserving because they do not believe they did anything extraordinary or that others who are not recognized are more deserving, but they accept medals as a symbol for those who did not receive them. I think about events like this in that light.

MUFLA
12-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Fwiw, my late father in law was a WWII hero--2 Silver Stars, a Bronze Star and Purple Heart as a result of his valor in the Battle of the Bulge. He would hate these types of adulation. He was from the old school--you shut up, do your job and don't brag. When Mrs Gato and I watched the Villanova game tonight, she was emphatic that her father never would have participated in that kind of recognition. My nephew who served in Iraq is of a similar mind--the recgnition of veterans at sporting events makes him crazy--should not be in a soldier's DNA.

Gato --

My grandfather was in the 75th and also fought in the bulge. He is/was also of the same exact school. May be a virtue of that generation. One thing has changed (& it has taken him a normal person's lifetime) but he now discusses the war openly and often. I think the VA system has been instrumental in that. He continues to engage and help other vets there.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Many of the vets I know do not seek out this type of attention, with that said, they certainly appreciate the honor though. I have no issue with these sorts of tributes, while the vets may not request them, I have no issue with thanking people for their sacrifice. If they don't want to participate it is very easy for them to decline the invitation, but that shouldn't stop people from thanking those willing to participate.

Gato78
12-08-2015, 11:28 AM
My father-in-law never mentioned it at all, to anyone, until one of his grandchildren wanted to do a report for school. So he interviewed my father-in-law and it was fascinating. He was a very young guy who, with his commanding officer (lieutenant?), were the only survivors in his unit after one battle. He carried his lieutenant on his back, while wounded himself, several miles to get medical treatment. Never spoke about it. Never even acknowledged he was in the military for Veterans Day etc. He just moved on in life.

pbiflyer
12-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Gato --

My grandfather was in the 75th and also fought in the bulge. He is/was also of the same exact school. May be a virtue of that generation. One thing has changed (& it has taken him a normal person's lifetime) but he now discusses the war openly and often. I think the VA system has been instrumental in that. He continues to engage and help other vets there.

My dad was in the Navy at Lyte Gulf delivering troops on a high speed transport, a converted Destroyer, similar to the one in the Caine Mutiny. His ship also had picket duty at Okinawa, essentially bait for the kamikazes.
He will answer very basic questions, but that is about it. Interestingly enough, he is writing down his story. No one can read it while he is walking this mortal coil though.

IrwinFletcher
12-08-2015, 04:22 PM
I understand these gentlemen/heroes not wanting to heap praise upon themselves, that is what makes them true heroes.

But what Buzz did, in my mind, wasn't necessarily heaping praise and adulation on these Veterans, but teaching a generation that doesn't know and in some cases, isn't even taught about what these men and women did that has allowed all of us to lead such a charmed life.

I for one am tired of all the whining from kids (I have a frosh in college and a SR in HS) and I kinda think Buzz felt the same way. In his unique fashion, Buzz was trying to teach these 18-21 years olds that they have no idea what it is like to face adversity, similar to some of the stories above.

That is why Buzz should be applauded and I am hopeful that the young men learned something from this.

IWB
12-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Agree Fletch - I understand those who do not care for the adulation, but without it, so many clueless people will never understand how we are able to live the way we do.

wiscwarrior
12-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Agree Fletch - I understand those who do not care for the adulation, but without it, so many clueless people will never understand how we are able to live the way we do.

In addition it's more about those wanting to show their gratitude than veterans needing the gratitude shown. Having lived through the Viet Nam era all I can say is what a 180.