PDA

View Full Version : Walkon Haffner?

Nukem2
12-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Noticed that walk-on Christian Haffner did not play against either Grambling or Maine. Was looking for him on the bench in the waning moments at the BC yesterday, but he did not seem to be there. Is he still on the team?

2012Warrior
12-06-2015, 12:11 PM
yep he still is on the bench every game in a uniform

Nukem2
12-06-2015, 12:28 PM
yep he still is on the bench every game in a uniform
I was looking down the bench in the last minute and did not see him. Odd that he would not get in as Marotta and Mache went in with 3 and 1/2 minutes to go.

Markedman
12-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I don't think he has played in any games or the exhibition which makes me wonder if he is red shirting?

MUMac
12-06-2015, 01:14 PM
He was definitely there and suited up, sitting almost directly in front of me. I do not know about the last minutes, as I admittedly left early.

MU/Panther
12-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Wasn't he sitting next to Henry at the end of the Maine game?

Nukem2
12-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Apparently I missed him. Still odd that he did not get in under the circumstances.

kneelb4zerg
12-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Can you be in uniform if redshirting?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Can you be in uniform if redshirting?

I don't believe there is a limit on when a redshirt can be declared, or if so, it's very late in the season. I'm believe he could be in uniform but as long as he never gets in the game, he could still use the year as a redshirt.

Markedman
12-06-2015, 07:54 PM
You can be in uniform as long as you are eligible to play. He can play but as long as he doesn't the red shirt is still entact.

MUMac
12-06-2015, 08:00 PM
You can be in uniform as long as you are eligible to play. He can play but as long as he doesn't the red shirt is still entact.

Correct. A Freshman redshirt is different than a medical redshirt or a redshirt after freshman year. A freshman redshirt can practice, travel and can be in uniform on the bench. He cannot, obviously, play in a game.

pbiflyer
12-06-2015, 08:04 PM
I don't think he has played in any games or the exhibition which makes me wonder if he is red shirting?

Why would the staff have a walk on red shirt? I could see if we needed bodies, but I doubt they are looking at practice bodies 4 years down the road.

Nukem2
12-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Why would the staff have a walk on red shirt? I could see if we needed bodies, but I doubt they are looking at practice bodies 4 years down the road.
Yeah, Never heard of a non-preferred walk-on red shirting.

12-06-2015, 08:09 PM

Admittedly, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he's a secret weapon and they feel that given an extra year, he can replicate his high school numbers (26.7 ppg/5.1 apg/4.9 rpg/49.0% 3PFG%) at this level?

Markedman
12-06-2015, 08:39 PM
My guess is it was his choice for whatever reason. No downside for the staff really. He was a pretty good high school player so maybe he has some hope of playing later in his career?

Maybe he isn't redshirting but considering the other 2 guys played 4 minutes or so it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Unless he is injured or something?

pbiflyer
12-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Admittedly, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he's a secret weapon and they feel that given an extra year, he can replicate his high school numbers (26.7 ppg/5.1 apg/4.9 rpg/49.0% 3PFG%) at this level?

Could he be considering transferring, if he is that good. Maybe they are working on getting him a scholly at a lower tear school.
They still get the body this year and get him something in return. Just a thought.

12-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Could he be considering transferring, if he is that good. Maybe they are working on getting him a scholly at a lower tear school.
They still get the body this year and get him something in return. Just a thought.

I doubt it, those were Wisconsin high school D5 numbers. The intent of my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, probably should have said as much. Maybe he'd consider trying to latch on D2 or D3 collegiate, but my guess is he isn't a guy who'd be a star at any level, almost certainly not D1 or he'd be there already.

TheSultan
12-07-2015, 02:25 PM
I doubt it, those were Wisconsin high school D5 numbers. The intent of my comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, probably should have said as much. Maybe he'd consider trying to latch on D2 or D3 collegiate, but my guess is he isn't a guy who'd be a star at any level, almost certainly not D1 or he'd be there already.

Maybe he simply isn't ready for garbage time against crappy opponents. He went to a high school with something like 80 students.

Markedman
12-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Maybe he simply isn't ready for garbage time against crappy opponents. He went to a high school with something like 80 students.

I'm pretty sure he is better then Marotta.....