PDA

View Full Version : 3/20/1994 #6 Marquette Warriors vs #3 Kentucky

Mucrisco
11-30-2015, 04:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03JLFqFvtkA

I just found this so it's what I'm currently watching.

Mark Miller
11-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Biggest win in Kevin O'Neill's career. Tony Miller was fantastic. Crowning achievement for Jim McIlvaine, Damon Key and Robb Logerterman.

A young Jim Burr officiating and an even younger Rick Pitino getting his ass kicked by Marquette.

Sweet indeed!!!

MUAlphaBangura
11-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Actually ran into a few decent Kentucky fans who offered us their hotel reservations in Knoxville, they were so sure they were going to win those two games in Tampa and move on to the sweet 16. They couldn't believe their team lost. Great memories of that weekend.

Gato78
11-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Everyone talks about Tony Miller's performance. Overlooked is an absolute clinic of interior passing put on by our bigs. Kentucky fans could not believe we beat them--just like in Minneapolis!

ge1974
11-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Kentucky's best player, Rodrick Rhodes had zero points and 5 fouls.

It was Kevin O'Neill's mentor, Arizona Head Coach Lute Olsen who suggested to him that Marquette have Tony Miller dissect the Kentucky press by dribbling up the middle. By the way, I see some of Tony in Traci Carter. Traci has a ways to go to be as good or effective as Tony at PG but I like the early pg play of Carter so far.

BLT
11-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Loved the Zumba shorts.

CaribouJim
11-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Kentucky's best player, Rodrick Rhodes had zero points and 5 fouls.

It was Kevin O'Neill's mentor, Arizona Head Coach Lute Olsen who suggested to him that Marquette have Tony Miller dissect the Kentucky press by dribbling up the middle. By the way, I see some of Tony in Traci Carter. Traci has a ways to go to be as good or effective as Tony at PG but I like the early pg play of Carter so far.

I still get more than a tad nervous when the opposition presses - I hope Traci doesn't try anymore spin moves when trying to break the press. The team, not just Traci, need to clean up that part of their game.

Facially, I think Traci kind of looks like Matteen Cleaves.

Markedman
11-30-2015, 09:25 PM
You could really tell Tony was a football player. Tough and quick.....dribbled so low to the ground when breaking the press.

That block by Amal in the first half brought back some great memories too......ball never got out of the guys hand. Lol

Halo
11-30-2015, 10:46 PM
An incredible game. A little different with Tony passing it in to the post player-Mac or Amal and trusting the big guys to make the good pass back under pressure. It worked. Lots of spin moves from Tony that is not a good habit for a PG, unless as gifted as him. Look how Duane Wilson got picked a few games ago at half court.

What the hell was Jim Burr doing in the pre-game behind the announcers? He was bobbing back and forth and then moved to get to the center of the screen and did the same thing. MU got some tough fouls early on from the bald guy. Loved watching O'Neill flip out on the sidelines always. He could coach defense. Eford with his length and deceptive quickness would just smother his opponent.

pbiflyer
12-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Those guys could really shoot. Nice mid range shots from several of the guys. Ugly unis though.

I was up early, watching the game in Hawaii in a local bar. First and last time I had a Zima (well, two or three drinks of it anyway, before I came to my senses, threw it away).

So, who won the BC/UNC game that they cut away to?

CaribouJim
12-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Those guys could really shoot. Nice mid range shots from several of the guys. Ugly unis though.

I was up early, watching the game in Hawaii in a local bar. First and last time I had a Zima (well, two or three drinks of it anyway, before I came to my senses, threw it away).

So, who won the BC/UNC game that they cut away to?

Pretty sure BC did - they were on cover on SI the following week IIRC. Both BC's football and b-ball programs were humming in the BE at that time until they exited to the ACC.