PDA

View Full Version : Sacar

Phantom Warrior
11-27-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm surprised by how few minutes Sacar has played so far this season, especially in the tournament. He did not get in at all against LSU, while the ESPN has him getting into the game but playing 0 minutes against ASU. (If he got in, I missed it.)

From what I saw in Italy, I thought Sacar might get 8-10 mpg against good competition and maybe 12-15 mpg against cupcakes. I realize Wojo has him pegged to play the 4, and he is under-sized at that position, but he seems physically strong, and he appeared to be a decent defender. Yet in the ASU game, when we needed someone to provide some defensive rebounding, Wojo called on Wally (who did get three defensive boards).

I can't help wondering if Sacar is kind of the "odd man out" right now. Unfortunately, with a whole lot of cream puffs on the upcoming agenda, we won't get an idea of his potential role until we play Wisconsin.

I suppose there could be numerous possibilities as to why he did not see the court earlier this week, but I doubt if lack of effort in practice is one of them. From all accounts this summer and early fall, he is a hard worker. Maybe he is struggling somewhat with the defensive rotations or the offensive guidelines/principles. Or maybe it's just a case of his not getting enough boards. Or maybe it's simply that Wally is out-performing him in practice.

Whatever is going on, I hope Sacar isn't letting it get him down. I see him being at some point a solid contributor to the program, not just in practices but in games.

I am curious is anyone else is a bit puzzled by his 0 minutes in the recent tourney.

IrwinFletcher
11-27-2015, 10:55 AM
In his limited time, he hasn't produced much at all. Wally has and therefore has taken some minutes away from Sacar. I think it is as simple as that.

Wally brings some experience which this team desperately needs. Having another frosh out there running around and not completely sure where he needs to be is a bit risky.

Sacar will be fine. If his work ethic is as strong as you indicate, he will continue to get better and break into the rotation down the road.

79warrior
11-27-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm surprised by how few minutes Sacar has played so far this season, especially in the tournament. He did not get in at all against LSU, while the ESPN has him getting into the game but playing 0 minutes against ASU. (If he got in, I missed it.)

From what I saw in Italy, I thought Sacar might get 8-10 mpg against good competition and maybe 12-15 mpg against cupcakes. I realize Wojo has him pegged to play the 4, and he is under-sized at that position, but he seems physically strong, and he appeared to be a decent defender. Yet in the ASU game, when we needed someone to provide some defensive rebounding, Wojo called on Wally (who did get three defensive boards).

I can't help wondering if Sacar is kind of the "odd man out" right now. Unfortunately, with a whole lot of cream puffs on the upcoming agenda, we won't get an idea of his potential role until we play Wisconsin.

I suppose there could be numerous possibilities as to why he did not see the court earlier this week, but I doubt if lack of effort in practice is one of them. From all accounts this summer and early fall, he is a hard worker. Maybe he is struggling somewhat with the defensive rotations or the offensive guidelines/principles. Or maybe it's just a case of his not getting enough boards. Or maybe it's simply that Wally is out-performing him in practice.

Whatever is going on, I hope Sacar isn't letting it get him down. I see him being at some point a solid contributor to the program, not just in practices but in games.

I am curious is anyone else is a bit puzzled by his 0 minutes in the recent tourney.

Really tough to draw any conclusions from Italy. Matt played decent minutes there also and now get a minute here or there. Sacar will play if Wojo thinks he can help.

Markedman
11-27-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm never surprised when a non heralded freshmen doesn't play. Wojo sees practice.....we don't. We are already playing 3 freshmen and 2 sophs major minutes. Wojo wants to win games and he is going to play the guys who gives him the best chance to win.

If Sacar is going to get meaningful minutes going forward he is going to have to earn them at the expense of guys like Wally and maybe JJ.

TulsaWarrior
11-27-2015, 12:22 PM
These next cupcake games should give Wojo time to work Sacar and Matt in for some minutes. That game experience will be needed as the conference season gets underway. You never know when the need will develop. I'll settle if Matt learns how to set a pick and Sacar gets some rebounds. Right now and as far into the future as I can see, Wally is the answer for spelling Henry or Luke. This team sure could use a 6-8 banger.

Nukem2
11-27-2015, 12:38 PM
These next cupcake games should give Wojo time to work Sacar and Matt in for some minutes. That game experience will be needed as the conference season gets underway. You never know when the need will develop. I'll settle if Matt learns how to set a pick and Sacar gets some rebounds. Right now and as far into the future as I can see, Wally is the answer for spelling Henry or Luke. This team sure could use a 6-8 banger.That's for sure. Wally is more of a perimeter player and Sacar is quite short for the PF slot. As it is now, Henry moves to center when Luke is in foul trouble. If both are in foul trouble, this is a very small team.

Phantom Warrior
11-27-2015, 02:45 PM
If Luke and Henry are on the bench in foul trouble, I don't think we have any choice but to play Matt at the 5. The make up of this roster is pretty strange. We have three players 6'10" or taller but no one else over 6'6".

Nukem2
11-27-2015, 03:34 PM
If Luke and Henry are on the bench in foul trouble, I don't think we have any choice but to play Matt at the 5. The make up of this roster is pretty strange. We have three players 6'10" or taller but no one else over 6'6".
Unfortunately, Matt is not playing to his 6'10" height yet. He will get there, but he is not a great option at this point. Too bad he is needed because of the short-handed/oddly-constructed roster. Otherwise, he would have been a logical redshirt candidate.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-27-2015, 06:10 PM
I'm never surprised when a non heralded freshmen doesn't play. Wojo sees practice.....we don't. We are already playing 3 freshmen and 2 sophs major minutes. Wojo wants to win games and he is going to play the guys who gives him the best chance to win.

If Sacar is going to get meaningful minutes going forward he is going to have to earn them at the expense of guys like Wally and maybe JJ.

This feels accurate to me. I think Sacar has upside, but right now Henry will get the lion's share at the 4 and Sandy, Jajuan, and Haanif are ahead of him at the 2/3. So far we've played 4 of our 5 toughest non-con opponents. He'll likely get more of a chance in the next month.