PDA

View Full Version : Marquette has found itself a point guard

Mark Miller
11-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Traci Carter wasn't perfect tonight, but he was awfully important to Marquette's victory over LSU. His nine assists and calming influence for the majority of the game were huge in allowing the MU offense to get the ball where it needed to be, namely into the hands of Fischer, Ellenson, Johnson and Wilson.

As Carter gains more confidence and experience, he'll become even better.

His solid play at PG was a major reason for the upset over the ranked Tigers tonight.

But my Player of the Game is JJ. His two free-throws late saved the game, and his solid all-around play off the bench was vital. May have been his best game at Marquette.

Terrific bounce back victory after the Iowa debacle.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Well said regarding both. traci looks the part of our best "true" pg

Halo
11-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Agree on all observations. Carter took charge. Completely different team and effort. We did all we could at the end there to give that game away, but hung on to win. Now they know the intensity needed all game for defense and rebounding. Let's hope the next step is valuing the ball more and finally finishing a game more calm without making stupid plays. How many turnovers in the last 3 minutes did we have? What was Hannief doing driving to the middle of the lane with his head down 100 MPH and flipping the ball in the air? We missed at least 5 front end bonus shots also. That should all get better as the team matures. I was worried the defense and rebounding was a lost cause. Maybe Iowa is better than people think.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Carter was great until the last 3 minutes. Hope to see him seize the starting job, but he's still a work in progress. Love the kid, but needs to be more composed against the press.

Mark Miller
11-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Carter was great until the last 3 minutes. Hope to see him seize the starting job, but he's still a work in progress. Love the kid, but needs to be more composed against the press.

That goes without saying, but he did have 9 assists and played with 4 fouls for a good chunk of time.

Every player on every team in America has plenty to work on, Traci included.

kneelb4zerg
11-23-2015, 10:42 PM
It was a hell of an effort on all counts especially because Simmons got the LeBron treatment and Ellenson was treated like dirt by the officials. Agree that Carter was huge and want him running point.

warriorfan4life
11-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Like Carter's overall package, and he should develop into a pretty good point guard for us in time. In a perfect world, he could come off the bench and get minutes based on how he's playing that night. However, I agree that he is best option for us at the point this year and needs to play 25+ minutes per game. I hope that he will acclimate to this role faster due to being thrown into the fire so quickly.

The Reptile
11-24-2015, 05:52 AM
It was a hell of an effort on all counts especially because Simmons got the LeBron treatment and Ellenson was treated like dirt by the officials. Agree that Carter was huge and want him running point.

He got the same treatment from ESPN - stats mean more than W's.

11-24-2015, 06:47 AM
He got the same treatment from ESPN - stats mean more than W's.

I was shocked to learn Ellenson had a double-double after the game. When he fouled out it only showed his points and I don't think the announcing crew mentioned his double-double once.

shaquilvaine
11-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Great call Mark, Carter should be the PG moving forward. I like Cheatham, but he had 4 TOs in just 18 min after 7TOs against iowa. Carter had 9 assists and 3 TOs in almost twice as many minutes as Cheatham.

79warrior
11-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Traci Carter wasn't perfect tonight, but he was awfully important to Marquette's victory over LSU. His nine assists and calming influence for the majority of the game were huge in allowing the MU offense to get the ball where it needed to be, namely into the hands of Fischer, Ellenson, Johnson and Wilson.

As Carter gains more confidence and experience, he'll become even better.

His solid play at PG was a major reason for the upset over the ranked Tigers tonight.

But my Player of the Game is JJ. His two free-throws late saved the game, and his solid all-around play off the bench was vital. May have been his best game at Marquette.

Terrific bounce back victory after the Iowa debacle.

JJ played great, but Fisher is my STOG.

bleedbluegold03
11-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Carter played very, very well offensively until the final 3 minutes, turning it over twice. I'm a little surprised he was that rattled by the press.

That being said, he was really, really rough defensively for the majority of the game; didn't follow through screens, had his man lost for a back door alley oop.

Based on how Haanif, happy to have his creation in the game tho!

Djgoldnboy
11-24-2015, 10:02 AM
I was shocked to learn Ellenson had a double-double after the game. When he fouled out it only showed his points and I don't think the announcing crew mentioned his double-double once.

They were too busy christening Simmons as the second coming and making sure we knew this was his debut in the Big Apple.........it's like they totally forgot HE was an All American too.......and the post game headlines, good lord, nothing about focusing on how MU was able to win at all, was all from the Simmons perspective. Simmons also should have got a T for taunting after the dunk on Fischer.

MUMac
11-24-2015, 11:08 AM
They were too busy christening Simmons as the second coming and making sure we knew this was his debut in the Big Apple.........it's like they totally forgot HE was an All American too.......and the post game headlines, good lord, nothing about focusing on how MU was able to win at all, was all from the Simmons perspective. Simmons also should have got a T for taunting after the dunk on Fischer.

Agreed and I was bewildered why it was not called at the time. Blatant. Glad that Luke showed the class and just ignored it.

MU/Panther
11-24-2015, 11:15 AM
He helps when Carter is not riffling up three's.

Phantom Warrior
11-24-2015, 11:16 AM
For me, I've been hoping Traci would be our #1 point guard ever since watching the summer games, and it's more than just assist and turnover stats that make me feel that way.

The overall level of movement and energy when Traci is in the game is much better than when he's not in the game, and I am talking about both ball movement and player movement. Everybody else seems to respond to his energy and his attack mentality.

I also love that he looks to pass the ball up court in transition, much as Junior did, rather than dribble up, if the pass is there. But if it's not there, he's still trying to make something happen.

Traci will have games where he has too many turnovers, but our entire offense seems to energize when he's on the court.

I am also beginning to think that Duane should move to point when Traci is on the bench and let Haanif play the 2 or 3. HC just does not have the experience or the mentality to run point at least at this time.

Markedman
11-24-2015, 11:49 AM
The bounce pass to Luke from the top of the key for the and 1 was a play only a natural point guard makes.

The emotion was also back last night........which was great to see.

Nukem2
11-24-2015, 12:11 PM
For me, I've been hoping Traci would be our #1 point guard ever since watching the summer games, and it's more than just assist and turnover stats that make me feel that way.

The overall level of movement and energy when Traci is in the game is much better than when he's not in the game, and I am talking about both ball movement and player movement. Everybody else seems to respond to his energy and his attack mentality.

I also love that he looks to pass the ball up court in transition, much as Junior did, rather than dribble up, if the pass is there. But if it's not there, he's still trying to make something happen.

Traci will have games where he has too many turnovers, but our entire offense seems to energize when he's on the court.

I am also beginning to think that Duane should move to point when Traci is on the bench and let Haanif play the 2 or 3. HC just does not have the experience or the mentality to run point at least at this time.
Agree with you. Let Traci play and get him experienced. Haanif is just not a PG at this time.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-24-2015, 03:25 PM

Why is wojo so intent on making Haanif a PG? I think he's come out and said that is his position despite never playing there at hs level.

JohnnyRev
11-24-2015, 04:51 PM
I don't know if this is the answer, but I know that in recruiting talks with Hannif's mother, it was about being a point guard.

CaribouJim
11-24-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't know if this is the answer, but I know that in recruiting talks with Hannif's mother, it was about being a point guard.

...and as long as a year ago, Wojo was very high on the vision of HC playing substantive minutes at the point.

11-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Haanif is a great athlete and looks like a excellent wing prospect. Love his driving ability especially. But at least right now he's not a point guard. I don't understand the fascination with transitioning guys to the point. It's the most important position on the floor. Better to recruit point guards and let them grow into the role than to try to teach guys to pay the position and hoping they can get there in a few years.

Markedman
11-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Haanif was on the radio with Homer after the game. What a nice polite well spoken kid he is. Homer asked him about Traci taking over the point guard role and as you would expect he was very supportive and said Traci was doing a great job.

Haanif has plenty of time to transition to the point down the road if it is a role he can master. Clearly his best position now is on the wing.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Haanif is a great athlete and looks like a excellent wing prospect. Love his driving ability especially. But at least right now he's not a point guard. I don't understand the fascination with transitioning guys to the point. It's the most important position on the floor. Better to recruit point guards and let them grow into the role than to try to teach guys to pay the position and hoping they can get there in a few years.

Maybe we need to look at it from a different angle: maybe its the kids who are telling coaches during the recruiting process that they want to play the pg and some coaches eventually agree to get them to come to the school.

Look at any 5/4 - they want to play the 3. Look at any 3/2 - they want to play the 1. It's an understandable desire of the players as it can potentially lead to being a better pro prospect. But there are always the exceptions like Lazar who played the 5 and Jimmy who played the 4 and they were still drafted to be 3's.

Markedman
11-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches 3h3 hours ago
Small sample size theater, but Traci Carter's 31.2 assist rate would be the second best #mubb mark since 2008. That's huge.

Goose85
11-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Even kids that have played point guard all their life often have problems stepping up to the position at the big time college level as frosh.

Let Carter handle the duties as Cheatham develops his skills. No issue down the road having multiple point guard options should Cheatham develop a point guard skill set.

If Cheatham does develop, it would be beneficial down the road to have multiple guys on the court at the same time that can interchange at the point.

mufan2003
11-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Like Villanova, it does not hurt to have multiple guards than can create for others. Right now Brunson and Arcidiacono start and both are considered PG's. D Wade was great off the dribble and set up teammates but Travis was the PG. Jerel McNeal was great off the dribble and could create for others but Dominic James was the PG. With Haanif being 6'5", there is no issue playing him off the ball and letting Traci be the PG.