PDA

View Full Version : We Need to Hit the 3 to Beat Iowa

Goose85
11-17-2015, 02:11 PM
College and pro basketball has changed, with greater emphasis now on the 3 point shot.
Look at the G.S. Warriors last year, win the NBA title without playing a center most times, just outscoring you from 3 (and having a really good team helps too).

To be successful in college hoops you have to have guys that can shoot the 3, not just one, multiple 3 shooters.
Too many teams have multiple guys that can shoot the 3, so upsets happen all the time when with one team getting hot from the 3 line.

In the first two games MU shot 23% (6-26 v Belmont) and 18% (3-17 v IUPUI) from 3 land.

In Iowa's first two games they have shot 7-24 (29%) and 12-28 (43%) from 3 land. Can't let them outscore us from 3 and expect to beat them.

To beat Iowa, or any team, we have to shoot much better from beyond the arc.
Need Cohen, Wilson, Cheatham and Henry E if he is going to shoot them, to hit at a better clip.
That will help the inside game, as well as open up the driving lanes for Johnson, Wilson, Cohen, and Cheatham.

Of course we need to improve more than just 3 point shooting, but we can't expect to win games shooting 3-17.

79warrior
11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Need to and have the ability to are completely. I agree we need to make them. Truth is, we do not have a reliable 3 point shooter on the team.

IrwinFletcher
11-17-2015, 08:49 PM
I am confounded by the fact we haven't been able to shoot for a few years now and the lack of ability of the coaching staff to either recruit shooters or get them to improve their shot.

I have heard that Rowsey is deadly in practice and Hauser is said to have a solid shot, but we have heard that about some of the others.

Here is to hoping things improve on Thursday.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Need to and have the ability to are completely. I agree we need to make them. Truth is, we do not have a reliable 3 point shooter on the team.

IrwinFletcher stole my point a bit, but I think we do have a reliable 3 point shooter in Andrew Rowsey, only he isn't eligible. I have to admit our three point shooting in recent years has been confounding. It seemed often that Buzz didn't really recruit shooters. He would sometimes get athletes that could shoot (DJO, Jae) but the guys that were supposed to be reliable deep threats were either busts (Jamail Jones) or just not good enough all around (Jake Thomas).

I do think Wojo has tried to put more of an emphasis on recruiting shooters. Obviously Carlino, but also guys like Cheatham, Rowsey, and Hauser are all regarded as deep threats. The problem is they are either too young or not yet eligible. Have to think this will improve in the years to come, but it's really tough to watch, especially against a mid-major team like Belmont that has guys that can just blister you beyond the arc.