PDA

View Full Version : Five Up and Five Down

Phantom Warrior
11-16-2015, 01:12 PM
From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/14142658/five-five-looks-best-worst-opening-weekend

Henry an "Up." Dunn an "Up."

GTown a "Down." UW a "Down." Gottfried a "Down."

Goose85
11-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Georgetown may continue to stay as a down with games against Maryland and Wisconsin this week.

IrwinFletcher
11-16-2015, 02:14 PM
How in the heck does Wisconsin still get 25 votes this week in the most recent poll. Did Potrykus vote them #1? Have to think most people voted before last nights game was final, so there had to be 8-12 people that voted them in the Top 25. Shows you polls are worthless.

MUMac
11-16-2015, 04:24 PM
How in the heck does Wisconsin still get 25 votes this week in the most recent poll. Did Potrykus vote them #1? Have to think most people voted before last nights game was final, so there had to be 8-12 people that voted them in the Top 25. Shows you polls are worthless.

But the game they lost was Friday Night.

TheSultan
11-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Potrykus a little feisty on the Badger boards. Not happy with the start of their season I guess. I find it comical how little he is little reporting on what is going on there.

You mean about the coaching stuff? He'd get his credentials pulled in a second if he started reporting on that stuff. That is why local beat writers never comment on personal issues.

IrwinFletcher
11-16-2015, 05:06 PM
But the game they lost was Friday Night.

Exactly. So most of the voters voted with the only result in mind was a lost to WIU, but some people still voted them in their Top 25.

wiscwarrior
11-16-2015, 05:07 PM
You mean about the coaching stuff? He'd get his credentials pulled in a second if he started reporting on that stuff. That is why local beat writers never comment on personal issues.

So the beat writer for Milwaukee's only newspaper would get his credentials pulled for reporting personal issues. Really. Has it gotten to the point in major college sports that having credentials pulled is even a threat that can be used against a major state newspaper? How about the JS just saying they won't cover Badger BB is their beat writer's credentials are pulled. Maybe the lack of a spine is what's hastening the downfall of the print media.

IrwinFletcher
11-16-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm no Bo fan for sure, but thinking that a reporter is going to write an article or mention in a story that the HC is having an affair is proper simply isn't right. That is a personal issue with the HC and it should quite frankly stay there.

Where I get bothered is when you see guys go on and on about HC's that do have past personal transgressions like Pitino or Pearl. Yet you see media guys (mainly ESPN) rave about the job they do etc. Why anyone would mention these HC's above and beyond how the team is doing is beyond me.

Markedman
11-16-2015, 06:53 PM
So the beat writer for Milwaukee's only newspaper would get his credentials pulled for reporting personal issues. Really. Has it gotten to the point in major college sports that having credentials pulled is even a threat that can be used against a major state newspaper? How about the JS just saying they won't cover Badger BB is their beat writer's credentials are pulled. Maybe the lack of a spine is what's hastening the downfall of the print media.

I'm not sure that would go over very well with the J/S customers..........

It would be like the J/S not covering the Packers because of the recent dispute.......it just isn't going to happen.

TheSultan
11-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Covering UW basketball means more to the MJS than it does to UW basketball. There are dozens of places people can go to get information on UW.

Not to mention that having an affair isn't really newsworthy. It's a private matter

Gato78
11-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Agree

I generally agree it is a private matter but for Bo's holier than thou attitude about how they "do things the right way".

IrwinFletcher
11-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Who is saying he should write about that? That is not what I was saying.

Fair enough, but your first post was a bit cryptic so that is what I thought you were talking about.