PDA

View Full Version : Buzz, er, Va Tech goes down...

IrwinFletcher
11-14-2015, 09:05 PM
...to Alabama St.

Markedman
11-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Tough road to hoe down there. Who was the last MU coach to have greater success after leaving? Rick?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-15-2015, 07:01 AM
Tough road to hoe down there. Who was the last MU coach to have greater success after leaving? Rick?

I'd say Rick, though Crean has had at least similar success. Hasn't made a Final Four, but having a #1 ranked team and making the tourney 3 of 4 years while recruiting very well, I'd say he's at least on par, if not slightly ahead of where he was here.

Markedman
11-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Creans Big 10 record at IU is 49-77. Overall record is 122-111 there.

unclejohn
11-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Creans Big 10 record at IU is 49-77. Overall record is 122-111 there.

Yeah, but that includes a couple of seasons where the team was terrible. I forget how many games the team won the first year he was there, but it was in single digits. I think they were winless in the Big Ten. His second year was not much better, as the players he recruited were freshmen. At Marquette, he did not take over a great team, but he took over a team, with some talent. At Ix4, he was begging for walk-ons his first year. He barely had enough players to field a team.

kneelb4zerg
11-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but that includes a couple of seasons where the team was terrible. I forget how many games the team won the first year he was there, but it was in single digits. I think they were winless in the Big Ten. His second year was not much better, as the players he recruited were freshmen. At Marquette, he did not take over a great team, but he took over a team, with some talent. At Ix4, he was begging for walk-ons his first year. He barely had enough players to field a team.

What difference does that make? The question posed is straightforward. Crean hasn't done better since leaving.

unclejohn
11-15-2015, 04:45 PM
What difference does that make? The question posed is straightforward. Crean hasn't done better since leaving.

Depends on what you consider doing better. Someone posted his record at Ix4. I suggest that this is deceptive and it makes more sense to look at his record after his first two years, when he had to rebuild the team from scratch. He has gotten good recruits, lead his team to the NCAA tournament regularly, and got them ranked #1. One could argue that he indeed has done better at Ix4 than he did at Marquette.

Markedman
11-15-2015, 05:05 PM
You can judge for yourself. He has had 2 seasons over .500 in conference at IU. Has made 3 NCAA tourneys in 7 years. No NITS. If you take away his first 2 seasons at both schools I still don't think you could say he has been more successful at IU.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Crean_(basketball)

11-16-2015, 06:02 AM

I did say similar success. In the past 4 years, he has gone 93-45 (41-31) with three NCAA appearances and two Sweet 16s. His NCAA record at IU is 4-3, at Marquette it was 5-5. Crean has done about as well at IU as he did here, and I'd argue he's one successful season from exceeding his accomplishments here. Even without a Final Four appearance. I know Crean is much beleaguered by our fanbase and isn't always the favorite even at IU, but he's done pretty well down there, especially considering the situation he walked in to.

Nukem2
11-16-2015, 07:59 AM
I did say similar success. In the past 4 years, he has gone 93-45 (41-31) with three NCAA appearances and two Sweet 16s. His NCAA record at IU is 4-3, at Marquette it was 5-5. Crean has done about as well at IU as he did here, and I'd argue he's one successful season from exceeding his accomplishments here. Even without a Final Four appearance. I know Crean is much beleaguered by our fanbase and isn't always the favorite even at IU, but he's done pretty well down there, especially considering the situation he walked in to.
All true. Though, expectations are much higher at IU. As a result, TC is on the hot seat this year and Hoosier fans want him gone. Such is life.

11-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Agreed, they definitely no longer understand their place in the college basketball landscape, which is a couple steps below the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world. Honestly, I think Crean has done a good job there taking them from a complete barren wasteland back to being a competitive Big 10 team. Crean is what he is. A good coach and a decent recruiter, but not the kind of guy that will take a team to the title. Not sure he'll ever find a better situation than he had here, but even if he ends up out at IU, I'm sure he'll land on his feet and ultimately end up sustaining success wherever he goes.

Nukem2
11-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Agreed, they definitely no longer understand their place in the college basketball landscape, which is a couple steps below the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world. Honestly, I think Crean has done a good job there taking them from a complete barren wasteland back to being a competitive Big 10 team. Crean is what he is. A good coach and a decent recruiter, but not the kind of guy that will take a team to the title. Not sure he'll ever find a better situation than he had here, but even if he ends up out at IU, I'm sure he'll land on his feet and ultimately end up sustaining success wherever he goes.TC will be fine. Only quibble I would have here is whether he is a good all around coach. I think he was and still is very good at game prep and half-time adjustments. He still has issues making adjustments during game action though.