PDA

View Full Version : Aki to Clemson?

MUfan12
05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Carey Rich @TheCaptain560: Brad Brownell's final three choices: Steve Smith(Georgia Southern); Aki Collins(Marquette); and Antwan Jackson(UMASS).All r good recruiters!

UL last year, now this. Is there some friction between he and Buzz?

kneelb4zerg
05-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Carey Rich @TheCaptain560: Brad Brownell's final three choices: Steve Smith(Georgia Southern); Aki Collins(Marquette); and Antwan Jackson(UMASS).All r good recruiters!

UL last year, now this. Is there some friction between he and Buzz?

I'm guessing that assistants usually have their names out there for the purposes of getting a raise. Most of them go year to year contractually I would assume.

milkbone
05-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't Aki move up 1 spot with Bedford gone??

MUBasketball
05-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't Aki move up 1 spot with Bedford gone??

To me, doesn't sound like Aki just putting his name out there. Sounds like if Brownell decides to hire him, he'll leave.

That would be a bit concerning. Clemson is not an ACC power. Although, with Syracuse and Pitt coming aboard, it's definitely going to be the top hoops conference. Maybe that alone would be the reason?

I don't believe Benford leaving means Aki gets elevated. That's an option I'm sure, but I would hope Buzz can find someone comparable to Benford to replace his spot. A top assistant coach who would immediately be the top assistant, or even associate head coach right away. I looked at the timeframe the last time an assistant left (Layer), and Buzz didn't announce who was replacing him until late June. So, I don't expect anything anytime soon about this.

But if he has to replace two assistant's...and his two best recruiters...with a great 2013 class verbally on board. Yikes.

IWB
05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Sounds like if Brownell decides to hire him, he'll leave.

I don't think that is the case. Aki is in a great situation and if he wants a head job, his best chance is at MU. If Buzz keeps MU on a high level, and Benford shows early success at North Texas, Aki will have a much better chance at a head coaching job that he would if he went to Clemson.

Gato78
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Wasn't Clemson considering a move to the Big 12? If so, may be a dicey situation for him. Also, wonder if this is a Monarch vs Aki situation relative to authority and rank within the team etc. Monarch and Buzz are tight and on the bench it is clear Buzz listens to Monarch the most. I like Aki and I think he is a very good representative of MU, in fact, very good in that regard. Personable, maybe moreso than Tony. Never know what the internal politics are. Hope Aki stays.

Nukem2
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
I've met Aki a couple times. He is a good man and represents MU well. As he says, his goal is to be a Div I HC. Who know about Clemson, though it is closer to his recruiting roots.

TedBaxter
05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Maybe Aki is a little indifferent to some of the changes going on in Marquette athletics?

warriorfan4life
05-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Wasn't Clemson considering a move to the Big 12? If so, may be a dicey situation for him. Also, wonder if this is a Monarch vs Aki situation relative to authority and rank within the team etc. Monarch and Buzz are tight and on the bench it is clear Buzz listens to Monarch the most. I like Aki and I think he is a very good representative of MU, in fact, very good in that regard. Personable, maybe moreso than Tony. Never know what the internal politics are. Hope Aki stays.

This is mostly on the money, and my thoughts vis a vis Monarch and Aki.

TedBaxter
05-21-2012, 07:14 AM
According to twitter, Clemson is showing interest in 2013 big Toby Hegner from Berlin, Wisconsin. Might be just a coincidence or .......

IWB
05-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Coincidence. Clemson may not be the only school targeting Aki, Memphis may also be involved.

MUBasketball
05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Coincidence. Clemson may not be the only school targeting Aki, Memphis may also be involved.

OK I don't like this. Aki is clearly pretty highly regarded. Maybe he should be bumped up to Associate Head Coach with a pay raise?

Would really, really suck to lose Benford & Aki...especially in same offseason.

TedBaxter
05-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Did you ever think that Aki may just want a change and a bump up may not change his mind? Just from my experience in the general work world, many people like a change in scenery once in awhile.

I'm not worried about Buzz finding assistant coaches.

MUBasketball
05-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Did you ever think that Aki may just want a change and a bump up may not change his mind? Just from my experience in the general work world, many people like a change in scenery once in awhile.

I'm not worried about Buzz finding assistant coaches.

Yes, you could be right. Being closer to home may be the pull here.

I'm just saying if he has other opportunities and is on the fence about it, maybe he's deserving of the promotion and bump in pay (assuming there is a pay increase). Continuity is very important. There has been very little staff turnover during Buzz's tenure. To potentially lose Benford, Lundy, AND Aki is a huge blow, regardless of who Buzz can replace them with. There is a really talented recruiting class for '13 orally committed and the guys who played a huge part in their recruitment leaving cannot be a good thing.

Mark Miller
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Aki also mentioned with Georgetown.

Markedman
05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Some coaches deserve to get the Associate Head Coach title and some don't. That's a decision Buzz has to make. You don't just promote a guy because he starts looking around.

MUBasketball
05-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Some coaches deserve to get the Associate Head Coach title and some don't. That's a decision Buzz has to make. You don't just promote a guy because he starts looking around.

If Georgetown, Clemson, and Memphis all are interested in him/possibly targeting him, he clearly is highly thought of. Looks to me like someone who is deserving. Maybe not, just throwing the idea out there.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-22-2012, 09:12 AM
There is a really talented recruiting class for '13 orally committed and the guys who played a huge part in their recruitment leaving cannot be a good thing.

I get where you're coming from with this, but I'm not worried about losing any of our 2013 class. Burton has talked about wanting to be the face of basketball in Milwaukee. He is the kind of leader you want, and he wants to be at Marquette. He came back from Brewster in part to start building up the MU program he already seemed to know he'd commit to by improving his connections with local guys. The guy was spending seemingly every day working out at the Al leading up to his commitment. And Wilson talks constantly on Twitter about how proud he is to be a Golden Eagle (okay...we may need to work on that ;) ) and how he's Marquette for life.

If we were bringing in two guys that were out-of-state recruits, guys that were significantly on the fence, I'd be worried. But I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to Burton or Wilson. In all honesty, they may be more crucial to our 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes than any assistant coach we have or have had.

Goose85
05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
I get where you're coming from with this, but I'm not worried about losing any of our 2013 class. Burton has talked about wanting to be the face of basketball in Milwaukee. He is the kind of leader you want, and he wants to be at Marquette. He came back from Brewster in part to start building up the MU program he already seemed to know he'd commit to by improving his connections with local guys. The guy was spending seemingly every day working out at the Al leading up to his commitment. And Wilson talks constantly on Twitter about how proud he is to be a Golden Eagle (okay...we may need to work on that ;) ) and how he's Marquette for life.

If we were bringing in two guys that were out-of-state recruits, guys that were significantly on the fence, I'd be worried. But I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to Burton or Wilson. In all honesty, they may be more crucial to our 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes than any assistant coach we have or have had.

Great point Brewcity. Hopefully those two lead to adding Looney as well. Keep Buzz here and I think this program has the potential to reach Al like heights.
A lot of very good local talent coming up through the ranks.