PDA

View Full Version : Win or lose

mcwman
11-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Through 10 min, this team is light years better them last year. Hopefully holds up.

pbiflyer
11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
And fun to watch too! Reminds me of the midgets year. Hopefully, they end as good.

AlexJesswein
11-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Agreed...very enjoyable game despite being down 7 at half

TedBaxter
11-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Need better guard play.

AlexJesswein
11-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Second half...a little less enjoyable

IWB
11-13-2015, 09:29 PM
One big positive is thAT we are almost midway through first half and no one is in foul trouble

IWB
11-13-2015, 09:35 PM
These refs are subpar - MU steps out off bounds, no call - Belmont's follows with a travel- no call

IWB
11-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Defensive lapses are killing them.

TheSultan
11-13-2015, 09:47 PM
JJJ's lack of situational awareness is disappointing for a junior.

IWB
11-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Loudest I have heard the BC in some time, best opening game opponent in a long long time, need to pull this one out!

TedBaxter
11-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Can't complain. They had some mistakes down the stretch and the veteran team won. Like the potential this year.

TheSultan
11-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Shooting remains an issue.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2015, 10:18 PM
That's a tough spot to put Carter in, would have preferred Wilson or even Cohen to get the ball there at the end.

warriorfan4life
11-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Loved seeing the fight and the heart of the team to consistently come back, but just not quite ready to win that type of game. Still feel like this team can win 3 of 4 against Iowa, LSU, Arizona State/NC State, and Bucky, and hopefully pull 2 of the 4 out. As long as we do not totally punt the non-conference schedule, think we will play our way into the tournament during Big East play. A hair surprised that Wally did not play, but totally understand why Heldt did not get in, as it is a very tough ask for a young big to guard against Belmont.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Loved seeing the fight and the heart of the team to consistently come back, but just not quite ready to win that type of game. Still feel like this team can win 3 of 4 against Iowa, LSU, Arizona State/NC State, and Bucky, and hopefully pull 2 of the 4 out. As long as we do not totally punt the non-conference schedule, think we will play our way into the tournament during Big East play. A hair surprised that Wally did not play, but totally understand why Heldt did not get in, as it is a very tough ask for a young big to guard against Belmont.

part of it is that they just couldn't afford to take Henry off the floor, maybe Heldt could have played spot minutes behind Fisher though.

Youth definitely played a massive part in the last few minutes of this game. People forget that even Duane has only played one year of college Bball... We will be a dramatically improved team come Feb/March

IrwinFletcher
11-13-2015, 10:45 PM

Much like Buzz did when we were undersized, Belmont was undersized against us and used it to their advantage. I thought Wally could have been a good answer to some of the Belmont "bigs" but that is based on nothing. Maybe he hasn't practiced well. Maybe he was hurt. He would have been better than Luke on defense though defending the pick and roll.

Markedman
11-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Belmont killed us on the pick and roll. From my seat I couldn't see why but time again they ran it and got layups or open looks out of it.

We shot it badly and missed tons of layups....yet still had a chance.

Turnovers were big down the stretch and esoecially to start the 2nd half.

Was Henry's charge the correct call or did we get hosed?

Fun game to watch.

Markedman
11-13-2015, 10:55 PM
Belmont killed us on the pick and roll. From my seat I couldn't see why but time again they ran it and got layups or open looks out of it.

We shot it badly and missed tons of layups....yet still had a chance.

Turnovers were big down the stretch and esoecially to start the 2nd half.

Was Henry's charge the correct call or did we get hosed?

Fun game to watch.

Ps I think we found out who the 9th and 10th men are. Matt will play against teams with traditional bigs but there really was nobody for him to guard on that team.

mcwman
11-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Charge was obviously the right call on replay. Mild flop but ran straight into him.

79warrior
11-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Shooting remains an issue.

steve Bardo said multiple times he had no idea why we were shooting three's. Two bigs down low and we launch brick after brick. Offense needs to run through HE

IrwinFletcher
11-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Charge was a good call.

I think Henry panicked a bit on that. Ball was supposed to be inbounded to the PG but he was locked up. Went to Henry with plenty of time left and he put his head down and drove. Might have been the play anyway, but seemed he rushed it a bit.

Two TO's down the stretch, 3 in the beginning of the 2nd half. But only 11 for the game. We will see how quickly Wojo can put this together and help these guys mature. Iowa, LSU, ASU/NCST and Madison all showed us that they can be beat.

TheSultan
11-14-2015, 10:49 AM
I think Henry should have shot the ball from the top of the key. Defense was sagging, and he drove right into them. He can hit that shot.

He is going to be very, very good though.

Markedman
11-14-2015, 11:02 AM
@franfraschilla: I see Marquette's Henry Ellenson and I see Dirk Nowitzki, circa 2002.

kneelb4zerg
11-14-2015, 11:40 AM
I think Henry should have shot the ball from the top of the key. Defense was sagging, and he drove right into them. He can hit that shot.

He is going to be very, very good though.

Hard to say. I like the aggressive play, unfortunately he was out of control on the drive.

Halo
11-14-2015, 12:45 PM
I overall really liked what I saw. Defending the pick and roll was pathetic. But hopefully they can learn from that now and better communicate. I understand their concern with the way Belmont was shooting 3's that were trying to hedge it out, but the picker was slipping so quick then that our bigs were not recovering and we had no weakside help from the guards. Often there was absolutely no help. But they are freshmen and will learn. And Wojo said after the game this was one of the best three point shooting teams in the country. So for other teams MU will be able to sag more to not leave that middle wide open.

Belmont was running great stuff all game regardless. Backdoor, multiple screens, pick and rolls, etc. It's good for our team to face a well coached and system team like that early on.

Traci Carter should not have had the ball in the end in my opinion. I would have Duane or brought JuJuan in as both can create so well. Drive and dump to HE or Luke.

We missed many FT's, some critical TO's and Belmont hit a few shots at the shot clock buzzer. I loved how we came back though in spurts.

This team will be a blast to watch this year. HE is an incredible rebounder. Strong hands and positioning. Can't teach some of that as he just has a knack for it.

Cheatem reminded me Jalen Rose with the dribble and crossover. Really like his game and think he will finish better as he gets more mature.