PDA

View Full Version : Non Basketball Observations From Last Nite

Nukem2
11-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Warmup outfits are really cheesy. :(

The video prior to the player intros is underwhelming.

Having the students down to the floor level is nice. But, as someone posted in the other thread, looks like the standing students block the sightlines for folks in 217/218 and above...??

Once again, the student turnout was pathetic. I got there at 5:50 and there were about 10 students in line to get in.
Yes, an exhibition on a Monday night. But the turnout was a lot less than in the past for exhibitions. Student crowd has been continuously light the last 2 years. Buzz kind of lost the students. Need to get them back for every game.

Goose85
11-10-2015, 10:28 AM
I agree on the warmups. Sleeveless bright hoodies - no thanks.

I'll give the students a pass on the exhibition game - because it seems a large number of season ticket holders didn't show up either.

Interesting take with the students court side. I hope it works out and gets students more into the game.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 11:21 AM
If we are going to call out the students for a pathetic turnout, how about the season-ticket holders who are paying way more money than a student season-tickets.

Monday exhibition game=people don't care.

bleedbluegold03
11-10-2015, 11:39 AM
I've never felt the need to comment on warm ups, but sleeveless sweatshirts and capri pants?

I know they went to Europe, but yeeeesh on that fashion statement

Nukem2
11-10-2015, 11:52 AM
I agree on the warmups. Sleeveless bright hoodies - no thanks.

I'll give the students a pass on the exhibition game - because it seems a large number of season ticket holders didn't show up either.

Interesting take with the students court side. I hope it works out and gets students more into the game.Hopefully, we'll see what the next 3 games bring.

kneelb4zerg
11-10-2015, 12:11 PM
How much do you want to bet the players love the warmups? Seriously who cares.

mufan2003
11-10-2015, 01:10 PM
I am not worried about attendance this season. Another sidenote, plenty of Illinois kids at MU, and their mighty Chicago Bears played on MNF last night. A lot of teams held exhibition games on Friday night or Saturday afternoon of this past weekend. That might be a better option than a Monday night....especially with an exhibition. I realize MU's average attendance was a bit off last year playing 1 game at the AL, but MU has consistently been in the Top 15, Top 20 in average attendance over the past 10 years. New arena will help as well....a Miller Park effect. Along with an entertainment plaza will provide even more incentive to go to the game even if just an exhibition. Add in more winning, and everything will be just fine.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 01:15 PM
I was thinking the same that the Chicago Bears were playing. MU had many more people on the exhibition game last year, that fell on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm willing to bet, that the student section will be filled more than half-way in the upper deck, so about 3,000 students.

unclejohn
11-10-2015, 01:52 PM
I did not care for the warm-ups, but they are warm-ups. Big deal. I do wonder about being sleeveless. Isn't the idea to keep your muscles warm? But perhaps the players like them that way.

I liked the new darker color of the lane, but wish the Big East logo was in blue, rather than white. It would show up better.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 02:27 PM
I realize MU's average attendance was a bit off last year playing 1 game at the AL, but MU has consistently been in the Top 15, Top 20 in average attendance over the past 10 years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm almost certain the game at the AL was not figured into our actual attendance numbers. With that said, two straight years of no post season tournament will turn fans off... Winning will bring them back.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm almost certain the game at the AL was not figured into our actual attendance numbers. With that said, two straight years of no post season tournament will turn fans off... Winning will bring them back.

You are wrong. Marquette was told before the season that the game at the Al would not count, and everyone was led to believe it wouldn't impact our attendance, but when the official numbers came out, they included that just like a normal game. Due to that, I'm confident that will be not only the first, but also the last game we'll ever see at the Al, barring an exhibition like last night.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 02:34 PM
You are wrong. Marquette was told before the season that the game at the Al would not count, and everyone was led to believe it wouldn't impact our attendance, but when the official numbers came out, they included that just like a normal game. Due to that, I'm confident that will be not only the first, but also the last game we'll ever see at the Al, barring an exhibition like last night.

Ahh that's what it was. I knew there was something to it. I stand corrected.

With that said attendance figures are usually ticket sales right? Not butts in the seats?

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Attendance numbers in all sports, MLB, NBA, etc are tickets sold or giving away.

11-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Ahh that's what it was. I knew there was something to it. I stand corrected.

With that said attendance figures are usually ticket sales right? Not butts in the seats?

That is correct. One more reason why keeping STH numbers high is so important. Sell 12,000 STH seats and a few thousand student seats and you're guaranteed top-15.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 03:08 PM
That is correct. One more reason why keeping STH numbers high is so important. Sell 12,000 STH seats and a few thousand student seats and you're guaranteed top-15.

I would argue though that actual butts in the seats is declining over the last two years, that has to be concerning for MU. I would be interested to know if the number of season tickets sold is going up, down, or staying the same.

11-10-2015, 04:05 PM
I would argue though that actual butts in the seats is declining over the last two years, that has to be concerning for MU. I would be interested to know if the number of season tickets sold is going up, down, or staying the same.

My guess is not only are in seat numbers down, but season tickets as well. Definitely fewer people in the stands and we've seen in years past, guessing it's a combination of the easy availability with all game is being televised as well as the decline of the team. Having a stud like Henry Ellenson and getting back to winning would both help, but the incredibly weak nonconference schedule won't do us any favors in terms of attendance. Have to think Marquette is hoping their upward trajectory will continue into the opening of the new stadium. That's when we'll really see a big boost, I would guess.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 04:26 PM
My guess is not only are in seat numbers down, but season tickets as well. Definitely fewer people in the stands and we've seen in years past, guessing it's a combination of the easy availability with all game is being televised as well as the decline of the team. Having a stud like Henry Ellenson and getting back to winning would both help, but the incredibly weak nonconference schedule won't do us any favors in terms of attendance. Have to think Marquette is hoping their upward trajectory will continue into the opening of the new stadium. That's when we'll really see a big boost, I would guess.

Win and all is resolved... it would be nice if we can get some momentum heading into that season.

TheSultan
11-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Back in the day, when I was doing statistical analysis for my MBA, I would have loved a project like this. How much are college basketball attendance figures based on...

1. Previous success based on team's final RPI from previous year. (Maybe three year rolling average)
2. Schedule, based on opponent's average Final RPI (or something similar) from the year prior
3. Price of tickets
4. Size of alumni base
5. Size of metropolitan area
6. Location of NBA team in metropolitan area (Y/N)
7. National trends in attendance (based on average D1 attendance each year)

My guess is that #1 would be most significant by a long shot.

IrwinFletcher
11-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Marquette will always be in the top 20 of attendance. Most schools don't play in large stadiums and that limits things. You think Duke would draw 20K per game if they could? Of course they would. So the attendance figures are kind of a joke.

You want to increase attendance? Win games. Period. End of story. It doesn't matter what the floor looks like or what the unfiroms look like or what the site lines are. Win games and a whole bunch of people are going to show up. We have seen it before.

Really? We are complaining about warm ups? A bunch of old white guys like us critiquing warm up uniforms is beyond ridiculous. If the players like them, that is what matters.

79warrior
11-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Marquette will always be in the top 20 of attendance. Most schools don't play in large stadiums and that limits things. You think Duke would draw 20K per game if they could? Of course they would. So the attendance figures are kind of a joke.

You want to increase attendance? Win games. Period. End of story. It doesn't matter what the floor looks like or what the unfiroms look like or what the site lines are. Win games and a whole bunch of people are going to show up. We have seen it before.

Really? We are complaining about warm ups? A bunch of old white guys like us critiquing warm up uniforms is beyond ridiculous. If the players like them, that is what matters.

Win in games will help for sure. Quality of opponent also matters. The decline in attendance the last several years can also be attributed to losing key conference members.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 09:25 PM
I think it's more about Marquette winning. They drew well in the Conference USA days.