PDA

View Full Version : First impressions?

farmerdoc
11-09-2015, 10:04 PM
For those of us who had no access to this game, what did you all think?

Gato78
11-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Henry is a stud. Haanif is Wesley Matthews-ish. He might be very good in two years, like Wesley good. We are going to be pretty good. We can score again.

farmerdoc
11-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Nice concise opinion...I like it.

I realize that the quality of the opponent is meaningful, but JS online said 50 fouls????

Referees calling it really tight?

MUfan12
11-09-2015, 10:31 PM
A lot to work on. If they don't lock it up guarding the dribble, Belmont will kill em at the line. A lot of fouls in the first half were due to poor footwork.

MUwarrior1090
11-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Need to stop penetration better, don't be so quick to help off of shooters at the 3 point line.

Offense generally looked good. First half was sloppy but that's to be expected. Generally got pretty open shots, didn't knock them down early. Haanif looked good. Henry looked great. Sandy had a very good game. Obviously, not the best opponent but they beat them like they should. Optimistic for the season, we can score the ball in a variety of ways.

Phantom Warrior
11-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Thoughts?

Our on-ball defense at times was horrific especially in the first half. JJ got beaten off the dribble a few times; so did Sandy; so did Haanif; so did Duane; so did Traci; so did Wally. I thought Henry played pretty solid defense, especially hedging and recovering. Sacar also played some solid on-ball D and good team D. In the second half we did a better job of talking/communicating, and our rotations and help defense were better.

The number of fouls called was ridiculous. The game had no flow. If this is what we are going to see all year, our #9 and #10 guys are going to get a lot of mpg. Teams that can hit free throws and teams with some depth will have an advantage.

Our second team tonight - Traci, Haanif, Sacar, Matt, and Wally - had some nice stretches, especially on offense.

I think we missed our first seven trey attempts, and then Duane finally found the range, and the team started to hit a few. JJ's trey attempt was ugly, and so was Traci's, which was a bit of a disappointment. Wally nailed one, but he missed badly on a couple of other attempts. Haanif drilled one from the corner, which was encouraging.

I didn't think we were particularly good on the defensive glass. We gave up too many offensive boards despite our having a significant height advantage.

One thing I really disliked tonight was the fact that on a few occasions we came down and put up a quick trey when we had NOBODY within 15 feet of the offensive glass. We seemed a bit trigger happy.

As far as individuals:

Duane started at point. His shot wasn't falling, and he forced a couple of drives to the hoop. His floor game was o.k., and, overall, his defense was decent, but he picked up three quick fouls at the start of the second half. We need him to score more and stay out of foul trouble.

JJ was beaten off the dribble a few times in the first half. Wojo pulled him maybe two minutes into the game. He missed a trey - air ball - but he scored some points off hustle - a fast break lay up, an offensive put back, and some free throws following drives. I don't know the stats, but I don't think he had more than two defensive rebounds, if that many. I don't think he did a lot to help his case for more mpg.

Sandy also got blown past a few times in the first half, but he was attacking the hoop on offense and finished a couple and drew some fouls. He made his free throws, which was a good sign. He scored seven quick points at the start of the second half, which broke the game open - a couple of drives and a trey. I think Sandy had a better game tonight than JJ did. He looked much quicker than last year, at least on offense.

Luke picked up two quick fouls in the first half and sat for much of the half. He didn't do much offensively until it was already a blow out. He needs to stay out of foul trouble, but that won't be easy. It seemed to me he was out of position on defense a few times. Overall I thought he had a pretty mediocre game, at least relative to what I'm hoping to see this season.

Henry was off early in the game and missed a few shots, but he made enough plays where you can see his ability to take over a game. I am guessing he had double-digit rebounds. His ability to start the break after getting a board is pretty amazing. He finished a couple of times himself, and he made a couple of nice passes for assists. I am fairly certain we are the only team in the country that has a power forward pushing the ball up court on the break and a 7'0" center out in front of everyone else for the finish.

As for the non-starters:

I was shocked at how quick Haanif is with the ball. He has blow-by ability, and he did a decent job, overall, at point and at the wing. Most of his points came during garbage time, but he definitely showed his talent. He was much better than I thought he would be.

Sacar played solid defense, and he's a smart player on offense. One time he cut back door and got a nice feed from Duane for a lay up. I also liked the 15-footer he drained nar the end of the game. I think he will get decent mpg because he is pretty solid on D.

Traci had six points but his outside shot was off, including at least one air ball. He also picked up a couple of fouls. But what impressed me about Traci was that he looked to get the ball inside, more so that anyone else in my opinion. He made a couple of very nice assists. I am guessing he had five or six assists in roughly 20 minutes. He looks composed out there. He did force situations a couple of times, but overall I think he played a fairly solid game.

Matt had a nice offensive rebound and put back, and a few defensive boards. He's a decent back-up for four or five minutes each half, which is all I think we can reasonable expect at this time.

Wally had a couple of highlight reel dunks, and he did nail a trey from the corner, but he also missed badly on some other mid-range and long-range shots. He's a nice complementary player who will give us some energy. He's probably better than most other teams' ninth or tenth man.

Bottom line: first half was ugly on both offense and defense; second half was better, and the four "other frosh" all had some solid moments.

One of the guys whom I went to the game with asked me if we win 20 games this year. Good question.

PDX Warrior
11-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Thanks Phantom.

For those with no access to the game, that was much appreciated.

mufan2003
11-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Last 8 minutes of 2nd half were really good. Carter, Anim, Cheatham seemed to have settled down by that point. Cheatham with several good drives, Carter with a pretty alley-oop to Anim for dunk. Frosh seemed to have some jitters playing first game at BC, understandable. Luke can play much better, he had some early foul trouble.

BTW, hope we never see another attendance like there was tonight. Chalk it up to it being an exhibition game against an NAIA team on a Monday night.

Halo
11-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Didn't see the game, but watched the highlights. Saw JJ dunk early on, then not get back on defense. Saw that stuff last year and had hoped he grew out of it. Disappointed to hear his defense was nothing special from Phantom. Henry looked to be the real thing.
Interesting Duane was at the PG. Excited to see the team play Friday night.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Didn't see the game, but watched the highlights. Saw JJ dunk early on, then not get back on defense. Saw that stuff last year and had hoped he grew out of it. Disappointed to hear his defense was nothing special from Phantom. Henry looked to be the real thing.
Interesting Duane was at the PG. Excited to see the team play Friday night.

The JSO Blog said Duane started at point, but played most of his time off the ball.

Really interesting to read everyone's comments and see everyone with widely different opinions on the game, seems the only consensus was that Henry was good.

Nukem2
11-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Last 8 minutes of 2nd half were really good. Carter, Anim, Cheatham seemed to have settled down by that point. Cheatham with several good drives, Carter with a pretty alley-oop to Anim for dunk. Frosh seemed to have some jitters playing first game at BC, understandable. Luke can play much better, he had some early foul trouble.

BTW, hope we never see another attendance like there was tonight. Chalk it up to it being an exhibition game against an NAIA team on a Monday night.
The student turnout was pathetic, continuing last year's lack of turnout. Hopefully they show up for Belmont and Iowa.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 08:11 AM
The student turnout was pathetic, continuing last year's lack of turnout. Hopefully they show up for Belmont and Iowa.

Exhibition games were always poor turnouts, and coming off of back to back disappointing seasons it's not surprising. If this team comes out and wins some games early everyone will return.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 08:12 AM
On the fouls called. I'm fine with the new rules. It's hard to say what crew will call what. I've been to two games in person this year and the Panthers exhibition game had great flow, the players seemed to follow the rules and there was about only 25 fouls called. In the MU game on Monday, the Marquette players got beaten so bad at times in the first half and then reached in with the hands, which made it easy for the refs to call a foul.

The third foul called on Wilson was weird, both arms were up and the VCSU player ran into Wilson. Should have been a play on.

MUfan12
11-10-2015, 08:13 AM

They will.

I thought initially that MU would sneak past Belmont on Friday, but am wavering after last night. Seems like MU's weaknesses right now play right into the hands of a veteran team. They have to be better guarding without fouling, and on the defensive glass. MU will be able to score enough to hang with teams, but it comes down to defense.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 08:14 AM
The student turnout was pathetic, continuing last year's lack of turnout. Hopefully they show up for Belmont and Iowa. Handfull of students I talked with in the daytime said, they had to study for a test this week and it's just an exhibition game.

bleedbluegold03
11-10-2015, 08:48 AM
A change that I found cool was they sent the press tables up to an upper section and replaced them with 2 lines of students.

Gives it a little more of a college feel, with the students right on the floor

bleedbluegold03
11-10-2015, 08:54 AM
They will.

I thought initially that MU would sneak past Belmont on Friday, but am wavering after last night. Seems like MU's weaknesses right now play right into the hands of a veteran team. They have to be better guarding without fouling, and on the defensive glass. MU will be able to score enough to hang with teams, but it comes down to defense.

That was our thought after the first 15 minutes; this team is inexperienced enough with hand-check fouls and turnovers, Belmont may work them.

Goose85
11-10-2015, 08:56 AM
On a side note, Jae Crowder and some of his Celtic teammates were in the house last night, including Kelly Olynyk.

Nukem2
11-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Exhibition games were always poor turnouts, and coming off of back to back disappointing seasons it's not surprising. If this team comes out and wins some games early everyone will return.
Not as bad as last night. Even the season ticket holder turnout was sparse. Would have expected more to see the frosh.

PS, mid-terms were a couple weeks ago as well. No excuses.

Nukem2
11-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Handfull of students I talked with in the daytime said, they had to study for a test this week and it's just an exhibition game.
The violins are out and playing you like a song.

2012Warrior
11-10-2015, 09:28 AM
My biggest worry is in the ball defense. It was horrible last year and bad yesterday. It seemed like a guy took two dribbles and we needed to help. Especially with such a young team, constantly helping and recovering will lead to a bunch of people out of position.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 10:02 AM
The violins are out and playing you like a song. Ok, I guess. :confused:

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 10:04 AM
On a side note, Jae Crowder and some of his Celtic teammates were in the house last night, including Kelly Olynyk. Sitting right next to Jae Crowder was former UWM Panther, Avery Smith.

Nukem2
11-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Sitting right next to Jae Crowder was former UWM Panther, Avery Smith.Well, that's mind boggling... ;)

MU88
11-10-2015, 10:06 AM
I am not sure how bad the defense was. VCS shot 25% for the game. They only made 11 2 point baskets and at least 2 of those were because MU didn't get back on a made field goal. MU tended to over help on defense, leaving open threes. As a result, VCS made 7 of them, but only shot 33%. Gotta trust the bigs when you have two 6-11 guys underneath. There were a couple rotation problems. VCS was pretty small and the 5-4 point guard was really quick, so its tough to blame MU for has ability to penetrate. Were they a great defensive team last night? No. But, they weren't the horrible, unathletic mess of last year either.

As for the offense, I think it took a while for the freshmen to get into the game. The fouls really disrupted the flow of the game. Wilson didn't play well. Henry didn't shoot particularly well. I thought Luke was non-existent for the first 3/4 of the game. Fouls had a lot to do with it, but 3 boards is not acceptable. They frosh had their moments. HC had a terrific stretch after the game was decided. Cohen looked better than in Italy. More confident. I thought JJJ looked fine. He got pulled when he forced things on offensive. When he played in the flow of the game, he was good. They team needs to move the ball better. They were significantly better after hitting a couple of jump shots. It opened up the lane for LF and for guys to drive to the hoop.

Overall, they made too many silly mistakes because of their youth. There is obviously a lot of talent on the roster. This is a team that should improve by leaps and bounds as the season progresses. But, they have to realize that they can't win simply by being better athletically than the other team. I think Belmont will be up 10+ at half if they turn in the same performance Friday. On the other hand, if Wilson and some one else hits a few threes early, MU could overwhelm Belmont with their size and athletic ability. Should be a good game.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Well, that's mind boggling... ;) Local kids are close I guess.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2015, 10:08 AM
That was our thought after the first 15 minutes; this team is inexperienced enough with hand-check fouls and turnovers, Belmont may work them.

I would not be surprised to see this team start 1-3, we are young and I think it will take us time to get things rolling consistently, I think we will finish strong though.

ge1974
11-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Homer and Broeker interviewed Jae Crowder during the 1st half of the game last night. Homer asked him who he still keeps in contact with from the former players and he mentioned Otule (Germany) Blue (LA), Johnson-Odum (Turkey) and one other I have forgotten. He said he received a package of MU stuff in the mail this week from Wojo. I assume this includes shirts, etc. Loves playing for the Celtics and enjoyed his time at MU. They kidded him about playing for a coach from Butler (Brad Stevens). Jae said he never doubted that he could be an NBA player from an early age.

MUwarrior1090
11-10-2015, 11:28 AM
One thing I really liked strategically was when Luke got the ball in the post. They have Henry on the weak side near the elbow, so if they choose to double Luke the defender that is doubling is likely leaving Henry. That leaves Henry open for a cut to the hoop or an elbow jumper. Worked successfully a few times last night.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-10-2015, 01:57 PM
I would not be surprised to see this team start 1-3, we are young and I think it will take us time to get things rolling consistently, I think we will finish strong though.

Not at all impossible. For as weak as our non-con schedule is, it's incredibly front-loaded.

warriorfan4life
11-10-2015, 05:34 PM
I could see us starting anything from 1-4 to 5-0. Outside of LSU, we should have a talent edge in these games (and I think Wojo is a significantly better game coach then Johnny Jones). However, we may need some time to fully gel as a team. I think we come together pretty quickly and go 4-1, but I would not be terribly concerned if we lose 2-3 games in this stretch competitively.

MUwarrior1090
11-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I could see us starting anything from 1-4 to 5-0. Outside of LSU, we should have a talent edge in these games (and I think Wojo is a significantly better game coach then Johnny Jones). However, we may need some time to fully gel as a team. I think we come together pretty quickly and go 4-1, but I would not be terribly concerned if we lose 2-3 games in this stretch competitively.

Belmont is the big one for me. Win that one and we start out 2-0. Build some confidence before Iowa/NYC and I think we end up 4-1 or 5-0. Lose the opener and I expect a 2-3/1-4 start. All about learning how to win on the court and building confidence, and we get a good test right out of the gates on Friday.

MU/Panther
11-10-2015, 09:29 PM
One rule change I liked last night, when a team timeout was called 30 seconds within the media timeout. The team timeout turns into the media timeout. I think it happened in both half at the 4 minute mark.

MUwarrior1090
11-11-2015, 11:40 AM
One rule change I liked last night, when a team timeout was called 30 seconds within the media timeout. The team timeout turns into the media timeout. I think it happened in both half at the 4 minute mark.

Definitely. Even with the foul fest, the game ended in just over 2 hours. The time saved on media timeouts was probably 10 to 15 minutes over the course of the game. That's a big deal for 8 PM weekday tip offs.

MUBasketball
11-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Just looked at the Ticketmaster seat map for Friday night. There are a couple full rows of available seats in the upper deck in most sections, otherwise they all look taken. Quick guestimate is no more than 1,000 available tix. If the students are out in force should be a pretty packed house!

MUfan12
11-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Just looked at the Ticketmaster seat map for Friday night. There are a couple full rows of available seats in the upper deck in most sections, otherwise they all look taken. Quick guestimate is no more than 1,000 available tix. If the students are out in force should be a pretty packed house!

They're holding at least 4,000 tickets for some reason. Mini plans, maybe? Guessing we'll see attendance around 13,500.

EDIT: Here's the "real" seat map for Friday- https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/marquette/EN/buy/details/15MB1113

Markedman
11-11-2015, 02:20 PM
That would be a hell of a crowd. Obviously Belmont is a good opponent but not a big name by any means.

79warrior
11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
They're holding at least 4,000 tickets for some reason. Mini plans, maybe? Guessing we'll see attendance around 13,500.

MU offering 1/2 price tickets for Belmont.

ge1974
11-11-2015, 02:43 PM
The Wingman and I are driving in from Michigan for the Belmont contest. We know that its a pretty big game and that Belmont is very good; although they lost their PG, Chamberlain from last season. They are a very well-coached team with good shooters (especially their 2G Bradshaw). I think we have the advantage up front. Should be a great game.

MU/Panther
11-11-2015, 03:16 PM

EDIT: Here's the "real" seat map for Friday- https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/marquette/EN/buy/details/15MB1113

Ticketmaster doesn't put out all the seats not sold. Which gives the look on the map that the seats are sold, to make the customer rush to buy the seat.
Tons of good seats in the upper deck still around. I hope people come for the 1/2 off tickets.

MUBasketball
11-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Ticketmaster doesn't put out all the seats not sold. Which gives the look on the map that the seats are sold, to make the customer rush to buy the seat.
Tons of good seats in the upper deck still around. I hope people come for the 1/2 off tickets.

I figured there was a catch. Didn't make sense to have a few empty rows in the middle of the section and all rows behind them filled.

MU/Panther
11-11-2015, 06:53 PM
I figured there was a catch. Didn't make sense to have a few empty rows in the middle of the section and all rows behind them filled.
That trick got me for the Bucks/Wizards game. The paid was just over 13,000. I could have saved on the ticketmaster fees and just bought seats at the Bradley Center ticket window for that Bucks game.