PDA

View Full Version : Women b-ball ekes out 70-68 exhibition win

JohnnyRev
11-08-2015, 09:36 PM
In their exhibition against Southwest Baptist, Marquette women’s basketball team had to struggle mightily to eke out a fourth quarter two-point win, 70-68.

MU shot a cold 12 for 32 (37.5%) first half, but 51.5% second to end with 29 of 65 (44.6%). Their three point shooting was poor (esp. 1 for 7 first half) ending 5 for 20 (25%). They almost lost the game because of their terrible second half free throw shooting, only 1 for 5; for the game 7 for 16 (43.8%). Frequently their defense seemed to leave SBU players clear paths to layovers at the basket or wide open shots.

Frosh Alazia Blockton, Danielle King, and Natisha Hiedeman led MU in double figures with 15, 13, and 11 respectively. Heidemann also led MU with 8 rebounds and 5 assists. Coach Krieger played only 8 of 10 players, starting Valentine, King, Yentz, Hiedeman, and Wilborn, but Blockton led MU with 32 minutes and 15 points. Starting soph Shantelle Valentine played a solid game - 7 pts, 6 rebs. Frosh Erika Davenport had 8 pts, 7 rebs, but 5 turnovers. Olivia Moskari was two for five, six points.

I have no idea how good Southwest Baptist is, but the consensus among fans near me was that this very young and raw team has a long way to go, despite flashes of very talented plays. Their stats cry out for improvement in three pointers and especially free throws. Overall, I liked their scrappiness and their pulling out such a squeaker to win at the last minute.

Mucrisco
11-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the report. I totally forgot about this game.