PDA

View Full Version : NBA Scout Feedback on...

CaribouJim
10-26-2015, 11:52 AM
...Henry and Luke.

An MU buddy of mine had a few brews with an NBA Scout (friend of a friend) over the weekend and the scout thinks Henry is "one and done", but also said that Luke is the best college big man passer he has seen in the last 10 years.

Not that Henry is a slam dunk to go after one, but would be cool to have those two in the same front court for 2 seasons. Would have been even cooler to have Deonte at the 3.

warriorfan4life
10-26-2015, 12:03 PM
...Henry and Luke.

An MU buddy of mine had a few brews with an NBA Scout (friend of a friend) over the weekend and the scout thinks Henry is "one and done", but also said that Luke is the best college big man passer he has seen in the last 10 years.

Not that Henry is a slam dunk to go after one, but would be cool to have those two in the same front court for 2 seasons. Would have been even cooler to have Deonte at the 3.

Honestly think we are better off with Sandy at the 3. With Duane, Henry, and Luke, you have plenty of primary scoring. Sandy blends in very nicely as a versatile defender and capable perimeter shooter.

Goose85
10-26-2015, 12:13 PM
...Henry and Luke.

I am trying not to even think about that front court with Henry and Luke for two season. I just don't want to get my hopes up.
But with everyone back, and adding Rowsey to the mix, if Henry stays for a second year - wow that could be a well balanced and deep team.

AbovetheRim
10-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Honestly think we are better off with Sandy at the 3. With Duane, Henry, and Luke, you have plenty of primary scoring. Sandy blends in very nicely as a versatile defender and capable perimeter shooter.

Is Sandy even going to start?

Djgoldnboy
10-26-2015, 12:30 PM
...Henry and Luke.

Interesting as I think Davante would give him a run for the money in this area.

TheSultan
10-26-2015, 01:21 PM
...Henry and Luke.

Deonte may go on to have a decent career, but he would have never fit into what Wojo wants. Explosive athlete no doubt, but defense and shooting were problems.

Nukem2
10-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Deonte may go on to have a decent career, but he would have never fit into what Wojo wants. Explosive athlete no doubt, but defense and shooting were problems.
In a write up on ISU in the recently released Blue Ribbon Yearbook, Coach Steve Prohm is quoted..."I think Deonte could be a dominant defensive player......great great toughness". Good luck, Coach Prohm.

TheSultan
10-26-2015, 02:22 PM
In a write up on ISU in the recently released Blue Ribbon Yearbook, Coach Steve Prohm is quoted..."I think Deonte could be a dominant defensive player......great great toughness". Good luck, Coach Prohm.

I "could" win a Nobel Prize too. :)

Markedman
10-26-2015, 02:40 PM
I wish Deonte luck but he seemed like too much of a me player in his time here. All of his focus seemed to be on scoring the ball.

Sometimes players are able to grow out of that mentality as they mature.........we will see if that happens with DB.

mufan2003
10-26-2015, 02:45 PM
I read that Providence took out an insurance policy for Kris Dunn to come back, which coach Cooley pushed for. I did not realize this could be done. Could MU do the same thing for Henry? Or even if they could, would they choose not to.

Markedman
10-26-2015, 03:21 PM
I read that Providence took out an insurance policy for Kris Dunn to come back, which coach Cooley pushed for. I did not realize this could be done. Could MU do the same thing for Henry? Or even if they could, would they choose not to.

I don't think that is allowed. Any compliance experts on the board?

I have heard of players/families taking them out but never a school doing it for a player.

TheSultan
10-26-2015, 03:42 PM
I don't think that is allowed. Any compliance experts on the board?

I have heard of players/families taking them out but never a school doing it for a player.

It is allowed and is a rather new thing.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/01/12/Colleges/Student-Assistance-Fund.aspx

MUfan12
10-26-2015, 03:48 PM
I wish Deonte luck but he seemed like too much of a me player in his time here. All of his focus seemed to be on scoring the ball.

Deonte is better served at another program, and Wojo got to fill his spot with one of his guys, like Sacar.

Win-win.

mufan2003
10-26-2015, 04:25 PM
It is allowed and is a rather new thing.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/01/12/Colleges/Student-Assistance-Fund.aspx

I thought the same as Markedman, thanks for clarifying Sultan. Here is the excerpt from the Kris Dunn article:

"Dunn said the worst pain he's ever felt in his life came during that second rehab, when he had to balance a double-rubber-ended four-foot stick, twist it, rotate it, all with one arm, for 90 seconds straight. He embraces that pain now, says it's led to him never feeling better, never feeling stronger than he does today. His decision to come back to school came with an obvious caveat: Providence would take out an insurance policy on his potential earnings. Cooley was insistent this be part of the plan."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25336488/kris-dunn-opens-up-on-why-he-passed-on-nba-returned-to-providence

Markedman
10-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the link Sultan. So if Dunn gets hurt this year and then collects on a huge insurance policy that he didn't pay for.....that is now a permissible benefit?

What is going to stop all 5 star recruits from demanding this in order to recruit them?

Seems like a pretty slippery slope......if they can get this benefit why not a salary?

Interesting

DCwarrior
10-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the link Sultan. So if Dunn gets hurt this year and then collects on a huge insurance policy that he didn't pay for.....that is now a permissible benefit?

What is going to stop all 5 star recruits from demanding this in order to recruit them?

Seems like a pretty slippery slope......if they can get this benefit why not a salary?

Interesting

I'm probably wrong, but it would make sense to me that the insurance premium will have to be paid back to the school by the player after he turns pro or after he gets injured and collects on the insurance policy.

TheSultan
10-27-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm probably wrong, but it would make sense to me that the insurance premium will have to be paid back to the school by the player after he turns pro or after he gets injured and collects on the insurance policy.

They changed the rule a couple years ago to allow a student athlete to borrow money to pay the premium as long as it was paid back. I think this is a straight out purchase by the university by using these funds with no obligation to repay. Every school has them. They are used to allow athletes to fly home in case of a family emergency, etc. The NCAA allowed this as a legitimate expense when asked by TAMU.