PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts & Impressions

Phantom Warrior
10-10-2015, 12:05 AM
Impressed by Traci - a natural point guard. He's the real deal. He's our starting point guard. I figure he will average at least 25 mpg. Love the fact that he can drive and finish but that he can also hit the trey. He finds the open man. He appears to have that point guard mindset and demeanor - he's running the show. Calm, controlled. And, on top[ of all that, he plays solid defense.

I guess I don't see Haanif starting ahead of Traci, but I think he will be a reliable back-up for 12-15 mpg at point - and he could play some on the wing as well. He made a couple of nice drive-and-dishes to the corner, but I noticed that a couple of times his head was down on his drives and he failed to finish or forced a pass into traffic. He doesn't appear to be real quick, but then he'd drive and get into the paint, so I think he might be what is often referred to as sneaky quick. Wish we could have seen him take a couple of mid-range shots. Outside of a couple of drives, I don't think he took a shot.

I thought JJ looked good and was encouraged that he buried a couple of treys from the corner, and I love the way he attacked the basket a couple of times, once jump-stopping and finishing. I think he's going to be a surprise key for us this year - maybe 20-24 mpg.

I think it's worth noting that in the second scrimmage the white team with four frosh (Henry Traci, Sacar, and Haanif) and JJ dominated the blue team of Duane, Sandy, Rowsey, Wally, and Matt. Only a scrimmage and only 10 minutes of basketball, but it gives fans an idea of just how good the frosh are/can be. It should be interesting to see how our freshmen hold up against LSU's outstanding group of freshmen that includes Simmons and Blakeney and a third Top 100 recruit.

There appears to be a level of camaraderie on this team that did not seem to exist the last two years. That might be the most important factor if this group is to make the Big Dance.

AbovetheRim
10-10-2015, 08:10 AM
The talent level on this team is just so much better than last year. When you have a PG that can create and get the ball to guys in spots they are comfortable with in addition to guys that can get their own shot off the bounce, the task becomes so much easier offensively. Heck, I think I saw more made jumpers during the scrimmage than I did through half of the Big East schedule last year. I don't want to go overboard, but I feel like this is going to be the best offensive team we've had in quite some time.

CaribouJim
10-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Looks like MU is going to have some serious depth at PG with the two frosh and I see Duane getting some minutes there as well. That alone bodes well for a big improvement over last year. Throw in Henry, a healthy Luke and hopefully a much improved JJJ...

Phantom Warrior
10-10-2015, 12:35 PM
And next year add Rowsey to the mix as he apparently can play either guard spot.

Rowsey seems like a shorter version of Carlino only a better ball-handler and a better defender.