PDA

View Full Version : Wojo , MU media day

milkbone
10-06-2015, 05:43 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/330961801.html

MU/Panther
10-06-2015, 07:10 PM
The video is also on gomarquette.com.

This is the 2nd time I heard Wojo talk about the non-conference schedule. The first was Inside College Basketball on Sirius XM with John Finestein. Finestein said, the non-conference schedule is pretty tough with Belmont, Iowa, LSU and at Wisconsin. I'm starting to change my mind a bit, that it's not that bad as most think it is. It's near the end of the video today. I kinda like Wojo's answer.

kneelb4zerg
10-06-2015, 07:34 PM

This is the 2nd time I heard Wojo talk about the non-conference schedule. The first was Inside College Basketball on Sirius XM with John Finestein. Finestein said, the non-conference schedule is pretty tough with Belmont, Iowa, LSU and at Wisconsin. I'm starting to change my mind a bit, that it's not that bad as most think it is. It's near the end of the video today. I kinda like Wojo's answer.

Like the answer even more if my assumption is right about who asked the ?

warriorfan4life
10-06-2015, 07:38 PM

It's going to suck RPI wise, but in reality is not terribly different then most teams. It's not bad at the top, but the eight cupcakes all come with extra frosting. Still think we could use 1-2 more legitimate tests, but the big issue will be the cupcakes anchoring down the schedule.

Goose85
10-07-2015, 08:33 AM
It's going to suck RPI wise, but in reality is not terribly different then most teams. It's not bad at the top, but the eight cupcakes all come with extra frosting. Still think we could use 1-2 more legitimate tests, but the big issue will be the cupcakes anchoring down the schedule.

Yep, the cupcakes are way too bad from an RPI standpoint.

Phantom Warrior
10-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Not only that, but the high-major teams we will or could play in non-con are not exactly viewed as top teams.

LSU is projected to finish second in the SEC by Lindy's.

Arizona State, which we could play after LSU, is predicted to finish 9th in the Pac 12 by Lindy's.

NC State, which we could play after LSU, is predicted to finish 7th in the ACC.

Iowa is picked to finish 8th in the Big 10-14 by Lindy's.

UW is picked to finish 6th.

Belmont will be tough, maybe even the best non-con foe we play, especially since it may take LSU's three frosh awhile to adjust to D-1.

LSU has a chance to end the season in the Top 20, but it would be a surprise if any of our other non-con foes do, too.

In short, our schedule is not only weak at the bottom with eight cupcakes, but it is relatively weak at the top as well - not exactly a formula to help our RPI.

Halo
10-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Not only that, but the high-major teams we will or could play in non-con are not exactly viewed as top teams.

LSU is projected to finish second in the SEC by Lindy's.

Arizona State, which we could play after LSU, is predicted to finish 9th in the Pac 12 by Lindy's.

NC State, which we could play after LSU, is predicted to finish 7th in the ACC.

Iowa is picked to finish 8th in the Big 10-14 by Lindy's.

UW is picked to finish 6th.

Belmont will be tough, maybe even the best non-con foe we play, especially since it may take LSU's three frosh awhile to adjust to D-1.

LSU has a chance to end the season in the Top 20, but it would be a surprise if any of our other non-con foes do, too.

In short, our schedule is not only weak at the bottom with eight cupcakes, but it is relatively weak at the top as well - not exactly a formula to help our RPI.

Time will tell. Not MUs fault to predict a team's ranking within there conference.

And do you really think UW will be 6th? They will be top 4 certainly and I think maybe top 2.

TedBaxter
10-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Agree Halo.

My uneducated key for UW is how the other guards produce alongside Koenig. The two best inside guys besides Hayes could be the redshirt Happ and freshman Thomas? Again, I don't know, but that was what I was reading on some of the boards.

Phantom Warrior
10-07-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure what to think about UW this year.

I do know that this will be, by far, the least experienced team Bo has had at UW with five frosh and a red-shirt frosh. It will also be the youngest at the other end as there is not a senior on the roster with any real experience. Gee, kind of like MU.

There is no question that Hayes and Koenig are solid D-1 players, but both will be thrust into different roles this year, leadership roles. Happ is supposedly talented, but he has not played a minute of D-1 ball. The other guys - Brown, Showalter, Hill, and Dearing - have shown little.

On top of that, the Big 10-14 seems to have some pretty solid teams. Overall, I think the conference is stronger than it normally is.

Finally, UW's conference schedule is tougher than it has been in quite awhile as they play many of the stronger teams twice.

Bo has a terrific track record; one certainly can not ignore that. But it does not take long to have a program slide. We had eight consecutive years in the Big Dance and were coming off two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight. Then, boom!

The Badgers could end up in the top four in the conference, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that happening. I think UW will more likely end up in the middle of the conference, in the 6th through 8th range. Time will tell.

Markedman
10-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Some interesting comments about the work ethic change from last year to this year......http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/after-rough-season-young-golden-eagles-putting-in-extra-work-b99591069z1-330998351.html

IWB
10-07-2015, 10:26 AM
I think the negativity regarding the non-conference schedule is a bit misunderstood. So many of the reporters read these sites to get their info. They see that people are unhappy with the non-conference schedule so they report about it and go as far as asking Wojo about it.

Look - the non conference schedule is not all that bad. Wojo responded with the teams that were a real challenge, ad there were more than a handful.

What people on these boards were unhappy about regarding the non conference schedule was the number of HOME GAMES that were less desirable. Maybe if those reporters/naysayers would take time to understand it, they would realize the non-conference schedule and the non-conference home schedule are two different things.

Markedman
10-07-2015, 10:28 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/331029421.html

Halo
10-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure what to think about UW this year.

I do know that this will be, by far, the least experienced team Bo has had at UW with five frosh and a red-shirt frosh. It will also be the youngest at the other end as there is not a senior on the roster with any real experience. Gee, kind of like MU.

There is no question that Hayes and Koenig are solid D-1 players, but both will be thrust into different roles this year, leadership roles. Happ is supposedly talented, but he has not played a minute of D-1 ball. The other guys - Brown, Showalter, Hill, and Dearing - have shown little.

On top of that, the Big 10-14 seems to have some pretty solid teams. Overall, I think the conference is stronger than it normally is.

Finally, UW's conference schedule is tougher than it has been in quite awhile as they play many of the stronger teams twice.

Bo has a terrific track record; one certainly can not ignore that. But it does not take long to have a program slide. We had eight consecutive years in the Big Dance and were coming off two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight. Then, boom!

The Badgers could end up in the top four in the conference, but I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that happening. I think UW will more likely end up in the middle of the conference, in the 6th through 8th range. Time will tell.

6 to 8? Don't see that even remotely happening. Back to back final fours for Hayes and Koenig. This is still a Bo Ryan coached team. How many teams can boast having 2 players like them that are proven and have won at a high level?

IWB
10-07-2015, 11:14 AM
The two huge factors are experience and the Big 10 schedule.

Yes, Hayes and Koenig have been to back to back Final Fours, and that is huge, but the supporting cast has very limited PT. Now, can Hayes and Koenig lead that team to a top of conference finish? Sure, but they will need to rely on a lot of the inexperienced players.

Next is the schedule. This year Wisconsin has a very tough schedule. A schedule that last year's team could have handled, but that was not the schedule they had. This year they have Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Illinois twice. Last year it was Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa & Minnesota. That is a big difference.

Goose85
10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
It will be interesting to see how Bo handles his team this year. Bo has notoriously had a short leash with young players, which frustrated many with respect to Dekker.

They have no frosh even close to the level that Dekker was coming in, yet I think this year Bo may have to let them play through some mistakes that he didn't allow Dekker to do, mainly because of the makeup of his roster.

Bo's a great coach and he will probably get the most out of his team, but it should be interesting with their inexperience and their conference slate.

mufan2003
10-07-2015, 01:17 PM
6 to 8? Don't see that even remotely happening. Back to back final fours for Hayes and Koenig. This is still a Bo Ryan coached team. How many teams can boast having 2 players like them that are proven and have won at a high level?

MU had Diener, Novak and Merritt returning from the 2003 Final Four and in 2004 missed the NCAA tournament. The loss of Wade and Jackson were big losses.....as will be the losses of Kaminsky and Dekker for UW. Not to mention solid and experienced play from Gasser, Jackson and Dukan. Without a doubt, I like Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan before UW. Michigan State lost Trice and Dawson, but Izzo always has them exceeding their talent level. Even Purdue, has returning big man AJ Hammons and McDonalds All-American Caleb Swanigan. Right now I see UW finishing anywhere from 4-6 in the Big Ten. A lot will depend on how the newcomers can contribute. if they struggle, UW could have a rough year.

mufan2003
10-07-2015, 01:22 PM
The two huge factors are experience and the Big 10 schedule.

Yes, Hayes and Koenig have been to back to back Final Fours, and that is huge, but the supporting cast has very limited PT. Now, can Hayes and Koenig lead that team to a top of conference finish? Sure, but they will need to rely on a lot of the inexperienced players.

Next is the schedule. This year Wisconsin has a very tough schedule. A schedule that last year's team could have handled, but that was not the schedule they had. This year they have Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Illinois twice. Last year it was Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa & Minnesota. That is a big difference.

Much tougher schedule this year. As a sidenote, a reason I love the Big East schedule of playing each team home and away. Provides a true, undisputed conference champion.

Nukem2
10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Much tougher schedule this year. As a sidenote, a reason I love the Big East schedule of playing each team home and away. Provides a true, undisputed conference champion.Undisputed, yes. True...? That is often impacted by when you play teams affected by injury, illness, academic issues or chemistry issues. Just look at SHU last year. SHU spanked MU at the BC but a shorthanded MU team later beat the Pirates at SHU following all the issues that SHU had.

mufan2003
10-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Undisputed, yes. True...? That is often impacted by when you play teams affected by injury, illness, academic issues or chemistry issues. Just look at SHU last year. SHU spanked MU at the BC but a shorthanded MU team later beat the Pirates at SHU following all the issues that SHU had.

Good point, but playing each team twice is all the schedule makers can control. Injuries, illnesses and suspensions can never be controlled by schedule makers in any sport. Next man up, the point is that each team gets two shots against every other team.

Halo
10-07-2015, 02:08 PM
MU had Diener, Novak and Merritt returning from the 2003 Final Four and in 2004 missed the NCAA tournament. The loss of Wade and Jackson were big losses.....as will be the losses of Kaminsky and Dekker for UW. Not to mention solid and experienced play from Gasser, Jackson and Dukan. Without a doubt, I like Maryland, Indiana, and Michigan before UW. Michigan State lost Trice and Dawson, but Izzo always has them exceeding their talent level. Even Purdue, has returning big man AJ Hammons and McDonalds All-American Caleb Swanigan. Right now I see UW finishing anywhere from 4-6 in the Big Ten. A lot will depend on how the newcomers can contribute. if they struggle, UW could have a rough year.
And we had Tom Crean.

Litehouse
10-07-2015, 03:22 PM
I think the negativity regarding the non-conference schedule is a bit misunderstood. So many of the reporters read these sites to get their info. They see that people are unhappy with the non-conference schedule so they report about it and go as far as asking Wojo about it.

Look - the non conference schedule is not all that bad. Wojo responded with the teams that were a real challenge, ad there were more than a handful.

What people on these boards were unhappy about regarding the non conference schedule was the number of HOME GAMES that were less desirable. Maybe if those reporters/naysayers would take time to understand it, they would realize the non-conference schedule and the non-conference home schedule are two different things.

I think this is definitely true. I've been critical of the schedule, but it's mostly because all the games under MU's control are terrible. The schedule as a whole is OK, with Belmont, Iowa, LSU(maybe ASU), and UW, but those were all set up separately. The games MU set up themselves are all 300+ RPI teams and will kill our SoS. I wish they would have set up a new Home-and-Home, or at least tried to get some <300 RPI teams for buy games. I don't think the casual fan really cares if we beat a team with a <300 RPI or 300+RPI, but that many bad teams are going to hurt our chances at selection time for a team that's predicted to be in bubble territory.

Nukem2
10-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Good point, but playing each team twice is all the schedule makers can control. Injuries, illnesses and suspensions can never be controlled by schedule makers in any sport. Next man up, the point is that each team gets two shots against every other team.
Agreed. Just noting that things are never equal in terms of results.