PDA

View Full Version : Favorite MU Player on This Year's Team?

Phantom Warrior
10-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Ever since I was a kid, maybe 10 or 11 years old, like many other sports fans I have had a "favorite player" on my favorite teams. I think my first "favorite player" - for whatever reason - was a pitcher on the Braves named Juan Pizarro. I have no idea why, especially with Spahn and Burdette the two star pitchers on those Braves' teams and every-day players like Aaron, Matthews, Bruton, etc.

Anyway, almost every year I have had a favorite player on each MU team. Again not sure exactly why, but my first "favorite" MU player was Bob Hornak even though Murff's cousin Ron was the most prolific scorer/shooter on MU the same three years Hornak played.

I figure I can not be the only MU fan who has favorite players on various teams (last year my favorite MU player was Duane Wilson).

I'm kind of curious who are various posters' projected "favorite player" on this year's MU team. I realize we have not seen Haanif at this point, so things can, and often do, change.

Personally, going into this season, as much as I am a fan of Duane, my gut tells me - at least at this point - that my favorite player on this year's team will end up being Traci Carter.

What does being a "favorite player" entail? For me, it is rooting for that player even harder than I do for the other MU players and checking that individual's stats before checking anyone else's.

Some of my "favorite" MU players remained my "favorite" for four years, like Jerel. Last year I thought Duane might become my first "four-year favorite" since Jerel, and he still might. But right now I think it could end up being Traci this year.

Gato78
10-02-2015, 08:00 AM
My oddest past favorite player was Bob Piercy. Like Juan Pizarro, I have no idea why, I was a kid. For this year, I want to see how it plays out. Swaggy has the early lead but I want to watch it play out. Seeing some of the pictures from Italy, the Ellenson boys and Matt Heldt were scary nerdy so have to watch them because a HE break out, a key Heldt game stretch or a Wally dunk could change that. The rest of the frosh are all possible too.

Nukem2
10-02-2015, 08:05 AM
I want them all to be my favorite player...! PS, have to admit that Juan Pizarro and Hurricane Bob Hazel were my all-time favorite baseball players.

Goose85
10-02-2015, 08:14 AM
I have to say Juan was my favorite player last year. I think I just pulled for him because he seemed to a good kid, always worked hard and represented MU well, and just seemed to always be cast in a position that wasn't the best fit for him. What I really liked about him was at least once a game he would always make a hustle play, like outwork someone for an offensive board and get a hoop.

I am also thinking Wally E might become a guy I really pull for. I would like him to be able to prove for himself that he is not just on the team as Henry's big brother.
I also somehow hope he can convince his little brother to stick around for another year (ha).

Phantom Warrior
10-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Nukem2,

Seriously? I'm not the only person who had Juan Pizarro as my favorite player on those terrific Braves' teams? You know while he was a Brave, he had decent stats, nothing special. But near the end of his career, he had a couple of really good years for the White Sox.

MUfan12
10-02-2015, 09:03 AM
My oddest past favorite player was Bob Piercy.

I had Bob as a coach at a camp when I was in HS. He was a character.

As far as this year goes, Duane's my guy. Love his game and his attitude. I can see Sacar joining him as the year goes on.

Markedman
10-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Yep.....Duane is my guy too.

Sandy is also in the running.

From the past I tended to like the little white guys that weren't athletic but could shoot.......kind of like me in my younger days.

Travis, Allie....Boylan......

mufan2003
10-02-2015, 02:02 PM
So many guys to enjoy watch play this year. As a sidenote, I am proud of sticking with Vander as "my guy" after his first 2 years. Many had given up on him and felt he would never reach his potential to be a star. Junior year, the "light bulb" went on and Vander had a tremendous year leading MU to a Big East conference title and Elite 8.

This year, I will say Luke Fischer and Duane Wilson. Two of the vets on this team, despite being a junior and redshirt sophomore. The tough year experienced last year will drive them this year to have great seasons.

pbiflyer
10-02-2015, 10:57 PM
I have to say Juan was my favorite player last year. I think I just pulled for him because he seemed to a good kid, always worked hard and represented MU well, and just seemed to always be cast in a position that wasn't the best fit for him. What I really liked about him was at least once a game he would always make a hustle play, like outwork someone for an offensive board and get a hoop.

I am also thinking Wally E might become a guy I really pull for. I would like him to be able to prove for himself that he is not just on the team as Henry's big brother.
I also somehow hope he can convince his little brother to stick around for another year (ha).

Me too. The little I saw of him at the first scrimmage last year, I liked. And the fact that he is playing basketball, rather than full time high jumper shows he follows his heart, I think.

When I was at Marquette, I really liked Michael Wilson, especially after he shattered the backboard.

JohnnyRev
10-03-2015, 05:56 PM
I think I too am really pulling for Wally to shine in his own right.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-03-2015, 08:32 PM
I think Traci is a leading candidate from the "fun to cheer for" angle, but it's hard for me to see past Henry. It's not often we get to cheer for a player that can just impose his will on a game and I think he will be able to do that this year. Seasons like the last seasons put together by Jae, Jerel, and Wade are something to be appreciated, and I'm cautiously optimistic that Henry can be that type of player from the get go.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
10-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Swaggy du is my guy. The guy bleeds blue and gold and is just a fun kid to cheer for.