PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Madness Blue & Gold Fund Block Party

IWB
09-21-2015, 05:55 PM
For Immediate Release
Marquette Sports Information

Blue & Gold Fund Block Party Opens Madness Festivities

Gates open at 4:30 p.m. for event in Lot F next to Al McGuire Center

Milwaukee – Marquette fans will have a new opportunity this year to gather before the annual Marquette Madness event at the Al McGuire Center with the debut of the Blue & Gold Fund Block Party on Friday, Oct. 9.

The block party is scheduled to begin at 4:30 p.m., the same time that wristbands will begin to be distributed for admittance to Marquette Madness. Only a limited number of wristbands will be available until the Al McGuire Center capacity is reached, so fans are encouraged to arrive early to take part in the block party and Madness event. MU fans may begin lining up outside the front entrance of the Al beginning at 3 p.m. and doors will open at 6:30 p.m., following a brief program at the block party with head coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Carolyn Kieger.

Any fans who aren’t able to enter the Al for the program at 7 p.m. will be able to watch the Marquette Madness broadcast outside on a video screen.

Plans are also being finalized for a student-focused, post-Madness event outside of the Al McGuire Center in the same area where the block party will take place.

Highlights of the block party include:

· Live DJ

· Appearances by basketball head coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Carolyn Kieger

· Opportunity to meet MU players and coaches, including autograph session (no post-Madness autograph opportunities like previous years are planned)

· Video wall will feature Madness broadcast for those not in the Al McGuire Center

· Performances by the Marquette cheer and dance teams

· Complimentary snacks and pay-as-you-go food options

· Cash bar

For questions or special needs, please contact University Special Events at (414) 288-7431 or universityspecialevents@marquette.edu. Click here to register for the block party.

Final details on the Marquette Madness event are currently being finalized and will be announced in the coming days on GoMarquette.com and through the official social media accounts of the athletics department.

Blue & Gold Fund Block Party (Lot F on 12th street between Wells and Wisconsin)

4:30 p.m. – Gates open

6 p.m. – Program

7-9 p.m. – Marquette Madness (Al McGuire Center)

9-11 p.m. – Post-Madness Student Event

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Seems like a good idea, will come down to execution, but definitely a way to add something to the event.

MU/Panther
09-21-2015, 06:54 PM
The wristband idea is stupid and this will backfire in Marquette's face. I can't tell you in numbers how many students just go in to get a t-shirt and poster and leave right away. If those people have wristbands, it's wasting the chance for others to attend the event.

Nukem2
09-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Per an e-mail yesterday from Joe True, this event is replacing the Haunted Hoops Fish Fry event. Wonder if this is a one time thing due to the Stanford scrimmage on Halloween or if the Haunted Hoops event/scrimmage is now a thing of the past?

The Reptile
09-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Anyone else recall the Block Parties from the '80's which ended when the state raised the drinking age. THOSE were great events.

pbiflyer
09-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Anyone else recall the Block Parties from the '80's which ended when the state raised the drinking age. THOSE were great events.

People not from Marquette are amazed when I tell them that the school threw those parties, with hundreds of kegs, 10k people.

Gato78
09-22-2015, 08:04 PM
The MU Block Party was just a celebration of Milwaukee manufacturing. In my era, the Miller truck just pulled onto the campus in the green spce near Joan of Arc. The truck had spigots coming out of it and we basically went nuts.

IrwinFletcher
09-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Those were truly the Glory Days. One in the Fall, one in the Spring. $0.25 for a beer. Bands all around campus. A few beer stations sprinkiled in.

Goose85
09-23-2015, 03:01 PM
When I was at MU (graduated in 85), the three different breweries (Miller, Pabst, Schlitz) all had trucks there.
A band playing in front of Lalumiere Hall and free beer. Place was up for grabs.
Beer was free for I think my first two years. Then for my last two it was changed to $.25 and there were a ton of complaints - what the heck is my student fee going for?

A lot of fun for sure.

pbiflyer
09-23-2015, 04:16 PM
When I was at MU (graduated in 85), the three different breweries (Miller, Pabst, Schlitz) all had trucks there.
A band playing in front of Lalumiere Hall and free beer. Place was up for grabs.
Beer was free for I think my first two years. Then for my last two it was changed to $.25 and there were a ton of complaints - what the heck is my student fee going for?

A lot of fun for sure.

Who was that b*stard that decided to charge for beer anyway??? If I ever get my hands on him......

I do have it on good authority that the decision to charge for beer was made on high and was more a deterrent than a cost thing. I heard that ASMU was given a choice. 100 half barrels and no charging, or 225 half barrels and a 25cent fee. Given that the last free block party, students went through 100 barrels in just under 90 minutes, the option of the higher number was chosen to have a party that would last more than 90 minutes. Or so I heard.

And in 84, there were three music stages.

Gato78
09-23-2015, 04:31 PM
In the '70's there may or may not have been music. When the beer ran out, we just went to the bars and kept it going. The President of Miller was John Murphy. He might have been on the MU Board but I know for sure he ordered the Miller trucks over to MU and there was no charge. His son was a good friend--though a Domer. Anyone remember the Banner TV incident in 1977? That was the night of the Block Party. A big campus controversy.

CaribouJim
09-24-2015, 05:03 AM
In the '70's there may or may not have been music. When the beer ran out, we just went to the bars and kept it going. The President of Miller was John Murphy. He might have been on the MU Board but I know for sure he ordered the Miller trucks over to MU and there was no charge. His son was a good friend--though a Domer. Anyone remember the Banner TV incident in 1977? That was the night of the Block Party. A big campus controversy.

I was there for that block party so I'm trying to remember it - was Banner TV vandalized or something? The amount of alcohol over consumed at those block parties was insane so my memory is kind of foggy.

Gato78
09-24-2015, 08:08 AM
That story cannot be told in recordable form.

Goose85
09-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Who was that b*stard that decided to charge for beer anyway??? If I ever get my hands on him......

I do have it on good authority that the decision to charge for beer was made on high and was more a deterrent than a cost thing. I heard that ASMU was given a choice. 100 half barrels and no charging, or 225 half barrels and a 25cent fee. Given that the last free block party, students went through 100 barrels in just under 90 minutes, the option of the higher number was chosen to have a party that would last more than 90 minutes. Or so I heard.

And in 84, there were three music stages.

My memory is a bit foggy, but wasn't there a music stage sponsored by each of the three breweries?
After the block party there was usually a street of all campus housing that would be blocked off with a beer truck at the end. A few bucks got you a cup and the party continued. Man that was a great time.

IWB
09-24-2015, 09:22 AM
I was only there one year as it was the last year before the drinking age change. When I was there I remember it as Goo describes, a band on each street, pat for a cup and have at it.

I have heard Gato's rendition of the Banner TV incident. No, it can not be told here, but it is well worth the story, ask him sometime.