PDA

View Full Version : OT Bucks hire Gus!

Markedman
09-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Didn't see this coming.....so the bucks must be the only sports franchise with 2 sets of TV announcing teams....http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/09/14/gus-johnson-milwaukee-bucks-nba-nfl-network

MU88
09-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Now, if they could just get rid of Ted Davis. Bucks games are unlistenable on the radio because him.

AbovetheRim
09-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Now, if they could just get rid of Ted Davis. Bucks games are unlistenable on the radio because him.

Was this post supposed to be in blue?

You can't be serious. I'll leave it at that.

GOMU1104
09-14-2015, 10:09 PM
They will be full time in 2016-17.

Markedman
09-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Not sure how Gus could do it full time with all of the national CBB work he does.

MU/Panther
09-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Didn't see this coming.....so the bucks must be the only sports franchise with 2 sets of TV announcing teams....http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/09/14/gus-johnson-milwaukee-bucks-nba-nfl-networkMany franchises have different set of announcing crews. Vin Scully does home games and Charley Steiner & Orel Hershiser do road games for one as an example for the Dodgers.

MU88
09-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Was this post supposed to be in blue?

You can't be serious. I'll leave it at that.

Davis is absolutely horrible. I get why the Mavs fired him. Typical call: "Williams brings the ball up. Its a slam by Parker" Huh? What happened? How did Parker get the ball? While he has the voice for radio, his content is so shallow and empty. He doesn't paint a picture for the listener. He reacts. A great play-by-play guy allows the listener to know what is happening, even if the description is longer than the actual play. He is up there with the worst play-by-play guys I ever heard. I simply don't understand how the Bucks have kept him for so long. In Bucks history, Doucette was the cream of the crop. Irwin a distant second. Davis? Simply unlistenable. The only one I can compare him to is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers play-by-play guy, who is also truly awful. He has called their games for 40+ years, and may have been great in his prime. However, nowadays, he is continually confused and mixed up. Kind of like Jim Zabel doing the Hawkeye broadcasts at the end of his career. He often loses his train of thought on air. I understand that the fans have an emotional attachment to the guy. But, he is really, really bad too.

For those old enough to remember, Vin Scully used to do football games on CBS. He was horrible. He continuously made mistakes. He identified the wrong player as making a tackle, reception, etc. Either Scully or Lindsey Nelson were often stuck with the worst game of the week and in the 70s, that often meant the Packers. But, Scully's shortcomings on tv didn't matter on radio. No one saw his mistakes. He could tell a story and paint a picture. Hence, while a terrible tv guy, he is considered a great radio guy. He is the anti-Davis, a play-by-play guy who allows the listener to picture the action in his head.

mufan2003
09-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Gus is great. I was also surprised they were able to get Marques Johnson to do 55 games. I did not realize Marques has the 4th highest scoring average (21 ppg) in franchise history. Figured he would be content living on the West Coast and doing studio work for Lakers/Clippers games. He seems to have a strong admiration for the franchise that drafted him. Edens and Lasry are leaving no stone unturned to improve every aspect of the Bucks organization.

mufan2003
09-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Marques Johnson also played "Raymond" in the movie White Men Can't Jump:

Goose85
09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Gus is great. I was also surprised they were able to get Marques Johnson to do 55 games. I did not realize Marques has the 4th highest scoring average (21 ppg) in franchise history. Figured he would be content living on the West Coast and doing studio work for Lakers/Clippers games. He seems to have a strong admiration for the franchise that drafted him. Edens and Lasry are leaving no stone unturned to improve every aspect of the Bucks organization.

I've long thought the guy should have his number in the rafters. He was an all time Buck great IMO.

TheSultan
09-15-2015, 01:06 PM

Here's my guess: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MU/Panther
09-15-2015, 02:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/bucks/features/boeder-we-got-gus#

MUBasketball
09-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Marques Johnson also played "Raymond" in the movie White Men Can't Jump:

Great movie but a better role as Pete Bell's assistant coach in Blue Chips. Go Western U!!

mufan2003
09-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Great movie but a better role as Pete Bell's assistant coach in Blue Chips. Go Western U!!

Good memory, forgot he was in that.

MUBasketball
09-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Good memory, forgot he was in that.

I never realized that was him in White Men Can't Jump.

MU/Panther
09-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Great movie! It doesn't get played much, because it has to be with all the bad words in it. Otherwise the movie is pointless.

mufan2003
09-19-2015, 10:50 AM
The Gus Johnson soundboard :)

http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/