PDA

View Full Version : Pitt sues Big East to get out early

IWB
05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Pitt sues Big East to get out early

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/university-of-pittsburgh-files-lawsuit-against-big-east-051112

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-12-2012, 05:12 PM
I think it was obvious that this was coming... CUSE is next.

IWB
05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Could them suing to get out early mean that the Big XII is about to take someone from the ACC? Clemson & FSU?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Too many possibilities... I think we could go around in circles with possibilities.

Goose85
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
One more year in the Big East for both. Have them pony up a few more bucks and send them packing.

CaribouJim
05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
One more year in the Big East for both. Have them pony up a few more bucks and send them packing.

Still can't believe all this crap is happening - one massive cluster%$#@!!!!!

pbiflyer
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
And it may be a case of careful what you ask for. This article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--florida-state-trustee-sparks-firestorm-with-desire-to-join-big-12.html) suggests that the pay day for the ACC might not be all it is cracked up to be.

The first shock to the system hit Wednesday, when the ACC came to terms with ESPN on a 15-year, $3.6 billion agreement that sure sounded good in the press release. Each school was supposedly getting an additional $4 million a year. The average would be $17.1 million annually. Not bad, it seemed.

The reality was bad, however. The initial bump in television revenue is actually just over $1 million a year, sources said, and a total in the $12 million range next season. The deal is back loaded.
That additional $4 million per school, per year? That won't come until 2021, nine years in, sources said.

Privately, almost everyone was troubled by the deal.

Goose85
05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
And it may be a case of careful what you ask for. This article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--florida-state-trustee-sparks-firestorm-with-desire-to-join-big-12.html) suggests that the pay day for the ACC might not be all it is cracked up to be.

The first shock to the system hit Wednesday, when the ACC came to terms with ESPN on a 15-year, $3.6 billion agreement that sure sounded good in the press release. Each school was supposedly getting an additional $4 million a year. The average would be $17.1 million annually. Not bad, it seemed.

The reality was bad, however. The initial bump in television revenue is actually just over $1 million a year, sources said, and a total in the $12 million range next season. The deal is back loaded.
That additional $4 million per school, per year? That won't come until 2021, nine years in, sources said.

Privately, almost everyone was troubled by the deal.

So, can the Big East, with a great basketball brand and football schools located in every time zone in the continguous 48, come pretty close to that deal? If NBC is interested, can Big East football schools get $10 to $12 mil per school?

Now let's say that Pit and Syracuse have to pay a bit over $10 mil each to exit (more than the $5 but less than WVU). If the Big East can hold this together, and leverage NBC to get a great tv deal, then Pit and Syracuse would be no better off for making the move.

IWB
05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
If the WAC is not giving up on Boise & San Diego State, then the Big East should not be giving up on Syracuse & Pitt.

ACC money is inflated - sign a new monster contract with ABC - convince Syracuse & Pitt to stay, let Boise & San Diego State stay in the WAC.

CaribouJim
05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
So, can the Big East, with a great basketball brand and football schools located in every time zone in the continguous 48, come pretty close to that deal? If NBC is interested, can Big East football schools get $10 to $12 mil per school?

Now let's say that Pit and Syracuse have to pay a bit over $10 mil each to exit (more than the $5 but less than WVU). If the Big East can hold this together, and leverage NBC to get a great tv deal, then Pit and Syracuse would be no better off for making the move.

I would love it if they went with NBC Sports and had a game of the week on NBC too. Or Fox Sports - have Big East/PAC 12 doubleheaders on Saturday nights - you'd have all time zones covered if you went with FOX. Something different and creative - my hatred for ESPN grows on a daily basis. I go to the MLB Channel for all things baseball and the NBA channel as well and the NHL Channel too. ESPN needs the competition.

CaribouJim
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
If the WAC is not giving up on Boise & San Diego State, then the Big East should not be giving up on Syracuse & Pitt.

ACC money is inflated - sign a new monster contract with ABC - convince Syracuse & Pitt to stay, let Boise & San Diego State stay in the WAC.

Wasn't Boise getting cold feet last week? These conference contracts seem like college coaches contracts - don't seem to be worth a darn so I would be for the BE to try and get Pitt and SU to stay - stick it to the ACC. As my post above states, I would love a huge a$$ contract with someone other than ESPN as they were the straw that stirred the drink, or one of the biggest straws, on this whole conference shuffling. Don't want them getting anything.

Gato78
05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
This could be very interesting. Pitt could find themselves in a very difficult situation if the BIG EAST files a counterclaim alleging that Pitt breached its fiduciary duties when its President, Nord(en)berg, turned down the ESPN contract while negotiating with the ACC. The BIG EAST lawyers now have subpoena power and can depose Nord(en)berg and the ESPN folks with the famous Howard Baker lines "what did the president know and when did he know it". Whether it gets to that point is another story but the threat of the significant damages in play and the exposure of the double dealing may well put the BIG EAST in a pretty good position on a lot of different fronts. FWIW I would take that case on a 1/3 contingency basis!

Hamostradamus
05-14-2012, 05:36 PM
This could be very interesting. Pitt could find themselves in a very difficult situation if the BIG EAST files a counterclaim alleging that Pitt breached its fiduciary duties when its President, Nord(en)berg, turned down the ESPN contract while negotiating with the ACC. The BIG EAST lawyers now have subpoena power and can depose Nord(en)berg and the ESPN folks

If I represent the Big East, I would subpoena for deposition the entire Pitt administration before I even file an Answer, including emails, texts, and phone records involving anyone affiliated with ESPN. OTOH, I could simply suggest to ESPN's counsel that all this is forthcoming and, hey, as long as I got you on the phone, what about the new Big East contract?

Goose85
05-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Gato78 and Hamostradums - that all sounds great, and I know you are both lawyers, but what is the likelihood of that actually happening?

I would love to see it, can the trial play out on court tv?

Hamostradamus
05-15-2012, 12:21 PM
There has to be so much inside baseball right now that no one is aware of. I am guessing Pitt will leave early, pay an exit fee, avoid awkward discovery questions, and a Big East broadcast deal will magically appear a month later, where ESPN will agree to host if the Big East can't get something better with NBC.